• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:29 AM

Guitar of the future. Not sure about the tone; plastic? But the coil switch idea, in principle, is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K0AreAwpU8Y

Sponsored Post

#2 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:50 AM

The bridge design too is pretty amazing.

#3 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4970 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

Ok that seems like a good 'value' for $400. Apparently he's going after the beginner market who wants flexibility at a low cost.

But I can get a squire strat and a epiphone les paul for $129 each. Or any number of lower price guitars. My squire strat is 25 years old and still works. Not sure a plastic guitar would last that long. And once the company goes away...good luck getting any replacement parts.

Nice bit of engineering, but it still doesn't make sense in the marketplace.

#4 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 7333 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

That's very cool. Seems like it's not just a gimmick either. But it also reminds me a lot of my guitar hero controller.

#5 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:34 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 01 July 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

That's very cool. Seems like it's not just a gimmick either. But it also reminds me a lot of my guitar hero controller.

That's what I thought when it was revealed. Looks like some cheap plastic game controller guitar. Once you look on some more it has some neat features, that could be used on a "proper" wooden guitar. The bridge and the pick up replacement design are great.

Edited by condemned2bfree, 02 July 2019 - 04:35 AM.

#6 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10657 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:30 AM

I think it's a case of watch this space...this particular take on the guitar is still only in it's infancy, but the concept and design are innovative indeed...once it has been refined somewhat and developed further I believe this will be a milestone event in the history of the instrument.

#7 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, TV, art/art history, US politics, football (soccer) and most sports, reading non-fiction, rock music, not going out, cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:46 AM

Most guitars I've bought (or want to buy) are based on the sheer beauty of the instrument, so there's some work needed on that side. But as a teenager I'd have been happy enough with this.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:48 AM

Hey, they can always go the Popeil's Pocket Fisherman route with cheesy late night ads. ;)

Seriously though, they engineered the crap out of that thing! It's a little on the gimmicky side with the stand on the back and the pick holder but hey even if the guitar doesn't sell I think they have a winner with that bridge design.

Btw, I love Brad the Guitologist. He has one of the more entertaining channels for musicians on YouTube.

Edited by Three Eyes, 03 July 2019 - 05:51 AM.

#9 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10657 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:01 AM

View PostIbanezJem, on 03 July 2019 - 04:46 AM, said:

Most guitars I've bought (or want to buy) are based on the sheer beauty of the instrument, so there's some work needed on that side. But as a teenager I'd have been happy enough with this.

If I want beauty I'll buy a sculpture or a painting.

As long as a guitar sounds good I don't care what it looks like....

Edited by Fridge, 03 July 2019 - 06:04 AM.

#10 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

View PostFridge, on 03 July 2019 - 03:30 AM, said:

I think it's a case of watch this space...this particular take on the guitar is still only in it's infancy, but the concept and design are innovative indeed...once it has been refined somewhat and developed further I believe this will be a milestone event in the history of the instrument.

That's my take on this. Not sold on it in it's present state. But I think this type of technological development in particular, will increasingly become part of guitar history. To what extent :huh:

#11 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostThree Eyes, on 03 July 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

Hey, they can always go the Popeil's Pocket Fisherman route with cheesy late night ads. ;)

Seriously though, they engineered the crap out of that thing! It's a little on the gimmicky side with the stand on the back and the pick holder but hey even if the guitar doesn't sell I think they have a winner with that bridge design.

Btw, I love Brad the Guitologist. He has one of the more entertaining channels for musicians on YouTube.

Thought that.Too much hacked on. Stand, plectrum holder, and the speaker...really? Yeah Brad's great. His pawn shop visits are a hoot!

Edited by condemned2bfree, 03 July 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 03 July 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 03 July 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

Thought that.Too much hacked on. Stand, plectrum holder, and the speaker...really? Yeah Brad's great. His pawn shop visits are a hoot!

Yes and his dumpster diving in back of Guitar Center was a classic!

Yeah that speaker is especially egregious. There's no way that thing's sounding good. lol. If you're going to go that far, why not just stick it in the guitar case like Brad suggested?

Edited by Three Eyes, 03 July 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#13 grep

grep

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1278 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

I really like the idea. Sure, plastic guitars. Why not?

Agree that the tone did sound a little, plasticy. But so what? I think it has a certain appeal. It doesn't sound overwhelmingly plastic - just sounds different.

Being a bassist rather than a guitar player, I could see myself buying this setup just to learn to play guitar... maybe even have a cheap platform to pair with a Roland synth pickup. Yeah I know, I can get  a decent Squire for less than 300 bucks. Or, I can get something new to play with that has a unique sound. Choices.

I agree that the built in speaker module is kind of cheesy. May as well paint a mickey mouse on that module and put it up for sale in Toys R Us ...Walmart.

Yeah, I'd love to try a bass version. Could imagine it sounding something like a Steinberger.

Edited by grep, 05 July 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#14 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1269 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

There's been a divide in the guitar buying community for a number of years between those who collect and those who play.  There's never been much overlap.

Edited by stoopid, 15 July 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#15 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, TV, art/art history, US politics, football (soccer) and most sports, reading non-fiction, rock music, not going out, cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:28 PM

View Poststoopid, on 15 July 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

There's been a divide in the guitar buying community for a number of years between those who collect and those who play.  There's never been much overlap.
I guess the fact I've never really made the progress I wanted on the playing side means I go for beauty. May as well get some positives out of these big purchases :eyeroll:

#16 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1269 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

View PostIbanezJem, on 15 July 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

I guess the fact I've never really made the progress I wanted on the playing side means I go for beauty. May as well get some positives out of these big purchases :eyeroll:

Being in the same boat regarding playing ability, I used that as an opportunity to buy something adequate and focus my time/money elsewhere.  ;)

#17 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1269 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

View Poststoopid, on 18 July 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

Being in the same boat regarding playing ability, I used that as an opportunity to buy something adequate and focus my time/money elsewhere.  ;)

That said, I have seen short run guitars (customs) that were like works of art.  I've seen guitars properly displayed in a home.  They can be art work.  So I'm not doubting that, or denying anyone of their fun, but I suppose I don't see it as something I can relate to personally.  They're a tool for me.  I wouldn't have a collection of industrial wrenches hanging from the wall in my den, or a lathe where my coffee table is.

Edited by stoopid, 18 July 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#18 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:10 AM

View Poststoopid, on 18 July 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

That said, I have seen short run guitars (customs) that were like works of art.  I've seen guitars properly displayed in a home.  They can be art work.  So I'm not doubting that, or denying anyone of their fun, but I suppose I don't see it as something I can relate to personally.  They're a tool for me.  I wouldn't have a collection of industrial wrenches hanging from the wall in my den, or a lathe where my coffee table is.
I think guitars are exceptions, as beautiful tools. I have paintings and art stuff on one side of my den and guitars are opposite, kind of the two hemispheres but definitely more Dionysus than Apollo...

#19 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1269 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 18 July 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 18 July 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

I think guitars are exceptions, as beautiful tools. I have paintings and art stuff on one side of my den and guitars are opposite, kind of the two hemispheres but definitely more Dionysus than Apollo...

The difference is perhaps what they're a tool for.  Music is personal and we (humans) make some interesting connections to it, the people who make it, and of of course the instruments used in making it.

#20 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4219 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

The guitar(s) of the future were built in 1951 and 1954, when Leo Fender designed the Telecaster and Stratocaster.
The original concept hasn't changed. And the farther one moves away from that original concept the less the guitar sounds like a guitar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users