Jump to content


Bowling? Is It A "True Sport"...??


  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12329 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

After a 25-year hiatus, I managed to find my bowling ball and shoes, and off to the bowling alley I went.

199, 149, 181

I'll take it.  :laughing guy: :laughing guy:


Posted Image

Sponsored Post

#2 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

Those are pretty good numbers! :ebert: :ebert:

And Dick Weber would say YASSSSSS!

#3 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12329 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:07 PM

View Postblueschica, on 28 June 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

Those are pretty good numbers! :ebert: :ebert:

And Dick Weber would say YASSSSSS!

Had some sloppy strikes, some good strikes, and some missed spares, of course.

My arm sure isn't as strong as it once was!  The ball was rolling so slooooooowly.... :doh:

#4 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4877 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:50 AM

Any activity where you can participate and drink beer is not a sport.

#5 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2495 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.

#6 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2495 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 29 June 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Any activity where you can participate and drink beer is not a sport.
That's such a lame and expected response.  One can participate and drink beer in any sport or activity.

Is softball a sport then?

Funny but I don't see the professional bowlers drinking beer .

#7 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4877 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.
I average 3 beers.

Since you've spent time perfecting throwing a heavy ball accurately, you must be much higher on the manly man scale than I. :eyeroll:

Edited by HemiBeers, 29 June 2019 - 08:05 AM.


#8 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4877 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 29 June 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Any activity where you can participate and drink beer is not a sport.
That's such a lame and expected response.  One can participate and drink beer in any sport or activity.

Is softball a sport then?

Funny but I don't see the professional bowlers drinking beer .
Apparently I treaded on your sacred bowling territory. But for many, bowling is a game of throw a ball, drink a some beer, throw a ball, eat some nachos.

#9 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 717 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, TV, art/art history, US politics, football (soccer) and most sports, reading non-fiction, rock music, not going out, cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

The unwritten rule in the UK is that it is NOT a sport if you can play it in your normal shoes. So Bowling counts as a sport. You do have to wear the weird shoes.

#10 Derek19

Derek19

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Comox, B.C.
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

Bowling, and softball are classified, and have been considered as sports.  I've done some five, and ten pin bowling, but it wasn't on a regular, and daily basis, though.  I have my own pair of bowling shoes.  I don't know what my average for the both of them were.

#11 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12329 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:33 AM

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.

Some jackass in my circle of friends only played golf because it was the only sport at which he was halfway good.  He routinely mocked bowling, but we all knew that he did so only because he sucked at it.  :laughing guy:

#12 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7601 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 28 June 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

After a 25-year hiatus, I managed to find my bowling ball and shoes, and off to the bowling alley I went.

199, 149, 181

I'll take it.  :laughing guy: :laughing guy:


Posted Image

Damn good scores for not doing it for 25 years. It's more of a sport than car racing which is called a sport.

#13 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2495 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 29 June 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.

Some jackass in my circle of friends only played golf because it was the only sport at which he was halfway good.  He routinely mocked bowling, but we all knew that he did so only because he sucked at it.  :laughing guy:
Hemibeers by chance?  :)

#14 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4877 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 29 June 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.

Some jackass in my circle of friends only played golf because it was the only sport at which he was halfway good.  He routinely mocked bowling, but we all knew that he did so only because he sucked at it.  :laughing guy:
Hemibeers by chance?  :)
No, I mock golf as well.

Nothing more than an activity for feeble retired men to get them out of the house and away from their insufferable wives. This is the same 'sport' than calls John Daly a professional. He's one bald head away from Homer Simpson.

Maybe what I consider a 'sport' is something that actually gets your heart rate above normal at least part of the time. and no...sex doesn't count.

Edited by HemiBeers, 29 June 2019 - 11:07 AM.


#15 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 29 June 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 28 June 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

After a 25-year hiatus, I managed to find my bowling ball and shoes, and off to the bowling alley I went.

199, 149, 181

I'll take it.  :laughing guy: :laughing guy:


Posted Image

Damn good scores for not doing it for 25 years. It's more of a sport than car racing which is called a sport.

Auto racing, please . . .  :lol: :lol: :lol:

#16 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 23359 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Bradford PA)

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

It's not in the Olympics....

#17 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2495 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 29 June 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 29 June 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.

Some jackass in my circle of friends only played golf because it was the only sport at which he was halfway good.  He routinely mocked bowling, but we all knew that he did so only because he sucked at it.  :laughing guy:
Hemibeers by chance?  :)
No, I mock golf as well.

Nothing more than an activity for feeble retired men to get them out of the house and away from their insufferable wives. This is the same 'sport' than calls John Daly a professional. He's one bald head away from Homer Simpson.

Maybe what I consider a 'sport' is something that actually gets your heart rate above normal at least part of the time. and no...sex doesn't count.
Dude, we get it.  You're not talented or skilled enough to golf or bowl with any degree of success.  I've played plenty of sports and golf is by far the most difficult.

#18 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4877 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 29 June 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 29 June 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostMithrandir, on 29 June 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Bowling is a sport.  

My average over the last 20 years or so is around 215.  For those who think it is not a sport, let me know what you average.

Some jackass in my circle of friends only played golf because it was the only sport at which he was halfway good.  He routinely mocked bowling, but we all knew that he did so only because he sucked at it.  :laughing guy:
Hemibeers by chance?  :)
No, I mock golf as well.

Nothing more than an activity for feeble retired men to get them out of the house and away from their insufferable wives. This is the same 'sport' than calls John Daly a professional. He's one bald head away from Homer Simpson.

Maybe what I consider a 'sport' is something that actually gets your heart rate above normal at least part of the time. and no...sex doesn't count.
Dude, we get it.  You're not talented or skilled enough to golf or bowl with any degree of success.  I've played plenty of sports and golf is by far the most difficult.
Posted Image

Dude, you don't get it. I don't waste my time with boring activities like bowling, golf, lawn darts, cornhole, etc. If you want to measure your value by the fact that you perfected rolling a ball, then that's your own glory. I don't f***ing care.

By the way, I played baseball and basketball through high school. You know...real sports. And I dabbled in skydiving in my younger days. Comparing bowling and golf to skydiving is a f***ing joke.

He asked the question, I answered it.

"nobody f***s with de jesus".

https://www.youtube....h?v=F1SfzV67Bqw

go shine your ball.

Edited by HemiBeers, 29 June 2019 - 12:53 PM.


#19 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7601 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 June 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

It's not in the Olympics....

Yet break dancing may soon be. I'm not kidding.

#20 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4877 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 29 June 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 June 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

It's not in the Olympics....

Yet break dancing may soon be. I'm not kidding.
Ice dancing looks really fruity, but I have to admit it's athletic. But curling? oh hells no. Slow bowling/shuffleboard on ice.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users