Rush has been getting on my nerves lately

CyriK

okay basically I don't know how to delete topics as I further read into the movie and I thought rush turned into a complete cash-grab lately starting with the 40th anniversary of hemispheres but now I only somewhat think they are a cash grab Edited by CyriK

Once a band has a well established name like Rush does, everything they do is a cash grab. It's called the music business after all. You don't expect your work to go unpaid when you put in the time and effort at your job, do you? It's no different for Rush or any other well known band. We will all try to make as much money as we can in whatever job field we are in. Why do you think they would be any different?

That being said, these anniversary editions I believe are a record label cash grab not a band one. If people keep buying these re-issues then I don't blame any band or label who continue to release them. The fault is really more on the fans who continue to buy all these anniversary editions because they're not essential releases in any way and the record companies are only looking to squeeze more money out of the diehards.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 5

Once a band has a well established name like Rush does, everything they do is a cash grab. It's called the music business after all. You don't expect your work to go unpaid when you put in the time and effort at your job, do you? It's no different for Rush or any other well known band. We will all try to make as much money as we can in whatever job field we are in. Why do you think they would be any different?

That being said, these anniversary editions I believe are a record label cash grab not a band one. If people keep buying these re-issues then I don't blame any band or label who continue to release them. The fault is really more on the fans who continue to buy all these anniversary editions because they're not essential releases in any way and the record companies are only looking to squeeze more money out of the diehards.

:goodone:

The price of tickets the last couple tours certainly felt like a cash grab $$$

• Like 2

??

So 2112 40th Anniversary/AFTK 40th - not cash grab

Hemispheres 40th - cash grab

and now you kind of backed off from that opinion

I'm confused by this comment but yeah - Ole is definitely trying to make money from their investment and they have delivered some nice packaging but have fallen far short in the previously unreleased music department. The Hemispheres 40th was particularly disappointing to me, so much so that I didn't purchase any version of the package. I hope there is a PeW 40th and it contains a complete PeW live show and that live show is derived from multi-track tapes. I'm even OK if it's the St. Louis show provided it includes Freewill/A Passage to Bangkok/The Trees/Cygnus X-1/Hemispheres/Closer to the Heart/Jacob's Ladder

• Like 1

This is nothing compared to the pathetic sellout crap Steven Tyler and Boner have done. No offense, but you’re exactly what Tool was singing about in Hooker With A Penis.

“No offense” :LOL:

Who would take offense to that? (((Good song btw)))

And yeah, I agree, it is nothing compared to other big name artists.

I haven’t bought any of the Rush stuff mentioned in this thread no matter how many sparkles or how much glitter they sprinkled on those classics. And that’s fine. It’s not like I lost respect for them or listen to them any less because of these dolled up albums and re-releases. :blaze:

• Like 2

The fault is really more on the fans who continue to buy all these anniversary editions.....

Truth! :ebert: Anniversary editions, the countless “Best Of” and “Greatest Hits” reissues....if people would stop buying them, then record companies would stop trying to sell them.

• Like 3

The fault is really more on the fans who continue to buy all these anniversary editions.....

Truth! :ebert: Anniversary editions, the countless “Best Of” and “Greatest Hits” reissues....if people would stop buying them, then record companies would stop trying to sell them.

Actually i don't mind collection albums or Greatest Hits or whatever. It provides a decent sample of a band when you don't want to fork over money for every album.

Actually i don't mind collection albums or Greatest Hits or whatever. It provides a decent sample of a band when you don't want to fork over money for every album.

Sure, I have bought some myself. It's when I see the 8th different Greatest Hits album from The Who, Jethro Tull, etc. that I shake my head at the shameless cash grabs.

• Like 2

Rush getting on my nerves when they release something new? :sigh:

Never happened and it never will...

• Like 2

Sure, I have bought some myself. It's when I see the 8th different Greatest Hits album from The Who, Jethro Tull, etc. that I shake my head at the shameless cash grabs.

Agreed, and besides, we have youtube, if we're looking to listen to Greatest Hits. And as I think about it, Rush wanting to come out with their best works, they'd have to rerelease their whole career. :notworthy:
  • Like 1

Yeah, it’s very simple- we’re able to see everything that’s going to be on a release before it’s released, including all of the specific “extra” material that’s on these anniversary editions.

If you don’t want it, don’t buy it. The band is not going to know whether you did or not.

• Like 2

If you don’t want it, don’t buy it. The band is not going to know whether you did or not.

Oh, yes they will. I'm telling on everyone here .... :blah: :blah: :blah:

Geddy said in a recent interview that the band has nothing really to do with album reissues or compilations. It's the record company that do this.

When a music acts signs to a record label, via the contract the label has authorization to release anything they want regarding the above.

Here's a related article posted in 2011 from Rolling Stone magazine below about this.

Musicians Split Over Album Reissues

• Like 2

Does it even matter if it's a cash grab? Only idiots pay for products they don't want. Plenty of people DO want it, and many bands don't offer ANYTHING after they break up.

Butt hurt fans get on my tits

• Like 3

They've been getting on my nerves too, with their great albums and amazing drumming, killer guitar leads, crazy screaming vocals...who the HELL do they think they are anyway?? :rage:

Beats me. Forty years, nineteen albums, countless tours and so much FUN!

BASTARDS

• Like 2

Except it's not new.

Ford, what would we do without you? :LOL: :cool: ;)

Probably be better off. I'm prone to sarcasm and eye rolling, neither of which work well in this medium.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

Except it's not new.

Probably be better off. I'm prone to sarcasm and eye rolling, neither of which work well in this medium.

I know that for myself as well. I expect people to read the tone of my posts as I intend them to sound. Doesn't always work that way.

• Like 1

Except it's not new.

I know that for myself as well. I expect people to read the tone of my posts as I intend them to sound. Doesn't always work that way.

That's why you need to make sure you put a smiley or an lol after a post that's supposed to be a joke.