Live versions that ruined the studio version (for you)

Rutlefan

"Spirit of Radio for obvious reasons"...

Not criticizing as everyone is entitled to their opinion but what would be the obvious reasons? They totally escape me as I prefer the studio version to any live version I've heard. It's clean, it's strong, it's perfect, IMO. Again, not criticizing just curious.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm Amazed.

Jimmy McCulloch on guitar and Joe English on drums, combined with Paul's impassioned vocals, take the the Over America version to another level

And, in fact, that's the version that broke the song. It went largely unnoticed when McCartney came out.

• Like 3

Not criticizing as everyone is entitled to their opinion but what would be the obvious reasons? They totally escape me as I prefer the studio version to any live version I've heard. It's clean, it's strong, it's perfect, IMO. Again, not criticizing just curious.

The live version captures the essence of the song...the words of the profits were written on the studio wall...concert hall....the crowd interacting throughout is what makes that song...It is a song meant to be heard live.

The live version captures the essence of the song...the words of the profits were written on the studio wall...concert hall....the crowd interacting throughout is what makes that song...It is a song meant to be heard live.

You think the fact that there is actual crowd reaction on the live versions somehow elevates the song to where the studio version is obsolete? I don't hear it. The studio version is pretty electric. Compare that with something like I Want You to Want Me. It's not surprising that CT greatest hits packages choose the live version over the studio version.

• Like 2

Do You Feel Like We Do - By The Fram.

Iconic!

Captain Jack by Billy Joel is another.

Liberty slays it on the drums, and the keys are incredible.

Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me.

The one with George Michael? :notworthy:

Maybe I'm Amazed.

Jimmy McCulloch on guitar and Joe English on drums, combined with Paul's impassioned vocals, take the the Over America version to another level

:cheers:

So. Much. This. Made In Japan is just awesome, classic Purple lineup at the top of their game. Also, for some reason I like the live version of Presto from the 2011 Time Machine tour recording so much better than the studio version. :heart:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Also, for some reason I like the live version of Presto from the 2011 Time Machine tour recording so much better than the studio version. :heart:

Well, ya know....the studio album was recorded inside a tin pole shed, so any live version is probably better. :eh: :eh:

• Like 2

Also, for some reason I like the live version of Presto from the 2011 Time Machine tour recording so much better than the studio version. :heart:

Well, ya know....the studio album was recorded inside a tin pole shed, so any live version is probably better. :eh: :eh:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Great description!

• Like 1

Queen: Keep Yourself Alive, Now I'm Here, '39, Love Of My Life, Dreamer's Ball, I'm In Love With My Car

Death On Two Legs

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

So. Much. This. Made In Japan is just awesome, classic Purple lineup at the top of their game. Also, for some reason I like the live version of Presto from the 2011 Time Machine tour recording so much better than the studio version. :heart:

Child In Time from that record for me. I'll always love the studio cut of Smoke On The Water, but the live cut of Child In Time is the definitive one for me.

• Like 1

Queen: Keep Yourself Alive, Now I'm Here, '39, Love Of My Life, Dreamer's Ball, I'm In Love With My Car

Death On Two Legs

Liar and Ogre Battle should be up there too. Not necessarily better than the studio cuts...just more.

Child In Time from that record for me. I'll always love the studio cut of Smoke On The Water, but the live cut of Child In Time is the definitive one for me.

Oooh, Highway Star from Made in Japan also, it's so sweet!

• Like 1

There's something going on with Ged's voice on that track that I've not heard on any other Rush track, let alone live. Some magic warmth, almost doesn't sound like Ged. Rush usually Trump their studio cuts with live. SOR is the exception. Just can't beat the studio version of SOR IMO.

• Like 1

Most of the official live recordings of TSOR sound awful. Lifeson’s guitar gets lost in the mix at times as it did when I saw them live.

As said by others, I only listen to the ATWAS version of Bytor, in fact I doubt I’ve heard the studio version more than 20 times in the last 45 years.

Everything on The Who Live at Leeds. That includes the PoS cassette version which was mastered at levels so high as to be nearly unplayable. Still those versions killed the studio's throughout.
  • Like 1

The live version of 'Wait For Me' from Hall & Oates 1983 best of album Rock 'n Soul Part 1.

Below is the audio track and promo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjoe-dyZCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_8ELm1OHo

The live version is taken from a concert at the Montreal Forum in March 1983.

Also, the live version is better than the studio one. It's the musicianship with G.E. Smith's guitar playing.

Edited by RushFanForever

There's something going on with Ged's voice on that track that I've not heard on any other Rush track, let alone live. Some magic warmth, almost doesn't sound like Ged. Rush usually Trump their studio cuts with live. SOR is the exception. Just can't beat the studio version of SOR IMO.

I remember clearly first hearing TSOR. It was on the radio. First, I was shocked I was hearing Rush on the radio (that was a first, though I had seen them on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert once); where I lived Rush was an esoteric interest, shared by few. Second, I was shocked at the opening; it was like an aural Ginsu knife display. Third, by the time the song ended, I was in shock from how amazing was the song. I was used to Rush changing keys and tempos and themes with amazing musicianship all in one song, but to do that in a 5 minute energetic made-for-radio tour de force of a track was almost unbelievable. It was like the funny line in Amadeus, where the king says the composition has "too many notes," trying to sound insightful, as if a composition might have an ideal number of notes. Well, to my mind, TSOR arguably has the ideal number of notes; if you added to or subtracted from the song it would be lesser for it; it seems to me a perfect song.

Edited by Rutlefan

Everything off Kiss Alive! because the first three studio albums largely suck in terms of tempo and sound quality (DTK is okay). Alive improved literally every version of every song that's on it over the studio version. Every one.

Meh I can still handle the productions overall, they have their charm but obviously Alive is where it's at if you gots to choose!