Live versions that ruined the studio version (for you)

Rutlefan

Three come to mind for me.

1. Coming Up -- Paul McCartney. Driving home the other day I heard the live version, the b-side of the original '80s single. That's the first version I had heard; only years later did I hear the studio version. When I finally heard the studio version it hit me like freezing water (it was a jolt, not just an unpleasant surprise); I thought it was thin and weak and somewhat weird compared to the live version, which is a song I really loved. To this day, I only like the live version.

2. No Quarter -- Led Zeppelin. First heard the song on my first Zeppelin album, TSRTS. After that epic I've never really been able to warm to the HotH version.

3. By-Tor and the Snowdog -- Rush. Like TSRTS, my intro to Rush was a live album (ATWAS), and as good as By-Tor might be on FBN, it just doesn't compare to the ATWAS version. Same might be said of In the End, but I feel it especially with By-Tor.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

Closer to the Heart on A Show of Hands. Much more energetic on the live cut than on AFTK, where it sounds like an after-thought.

Do You Feel Like We Do - By The Fram. Studio version is bleagh.

Captain Jack by Billy Joel is another.

Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me.

Maybe I'm Amazed.

• Like 2

"I Want You To Want Me" - Cheap Trick

"Party Girl" - U2

"Folsom Prison Blues" - Johnny Cash

All I can say is each version is more energetic and fully realized. The limitations of a live performance compared to studio performance enhances the sincerity of the song. The strengths of the songs are stronger.

• Like 4

^ True, my intro to Kiss was Alive! Buying the back catalog was an adventure in disappointment.

I won’t say ‘ruined’ the studio versions, but I do understand the spirit of the question. I just think music recorded in a studio can and does have its own kind of energy. But for live versions of songs that, let’s say, far exceed their studio counterparts, here are some that haven’t been mentioned:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and Whipping Post- The Allman Brothers, At Fillmore East

Blues for Allah- The Grateful Dead, One from the Vault

Suite Madame Blue- Styx, Caught in the Act

I’m sure I can think of more...

• Like 3

I'm so afraid at The Dance by Fleetwood Mac.

makes the studio cut sound lifeless.

Mission-Snakes and Arrows Live.

that outro solo though!!!!!

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I also misunderstood this post. You should reword the title: "Live versions that were better than the studio version"

Can Rutle please clarify what this thread is about?

I originally took it to mean live versions of songs that were awful, but then thought he meant live versions that were better than the studio version.

In case of the latter, Rush is the only band of which I am aware that has consistently sounded better live than in the studio, even back in the 70's when it was hard to do so.

Bruce Springsteen co-wrote a song in the winter of 1997 with Joe Grushecky of The Houserockers titled 'Code Of Silence'.

A 'live only' released version of the song (recorded in June 2000 at Madison Square Garden) was included on the 2003 three disc compilation album The Essential Bruce Springsteen. Disc one and two features previously released hits and disc three is unreleased rarities.

'Code Of Silence' won a Grammy Award for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance.

Then Grushecky recorded a studio version of the song featured on his 2006 album A Good Life with Springsteen as guest.

I prefer Springsteen's live recording with The E Street Band more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmliFFBFQAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi4UJ5_Fd6E

Edited by RushFanForever

Do You Feel Like We Do - By The Fram.

Iconic!

Liberty slays it on the drums, and the keys are incredible.

The one with George Michael? :notworthy:

Maybe I'm Amazed.

Jimmy McCulloch on guitar and Joe English on drums, combined with Paul's impassioned vocals, take the the Over America version to another level
  • Like 1

Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC) off If You Want Blood...

Great White Buffalo (Ted Nugent) off Double Live Gonzo!

Spread Your Wings (Queen) off Live Killers

Bravado (RUSH) off Different Stages

• Like 1

I also misunderstood this post. You should reword the title: "Live versions that were better than the studio version"

No, that would be a different thread. I can think of many many many songs that have a recorded live version better than the studio version, and vice versa. Not a very interesting question I think. I meant what I said, though maybe "ruined" isn't the best word. How about, "Live versions that made the studio versions irrelevant for you."

• Like 1

I originally took it to mean live versions of songs that were awful, but then thought he meant live versions that were better than the studio version.

In case of the latter, Rush is the only band of which I am aware that has consistently sounded better live than in the studio, even back in the 70's when it was hard to do so.

What I said above. Live versions that make listening to the studio version pointless, more or less. There are probably few songs with both live and studio versions that one likes equally as much; you're almost always going to prefer one to another. I'm asking about those live songs that basically make you uninterested in the studio versions, or make listening to the studio versions difficult. There's only a few songs like that for me; I named three that immediately came to mind. As an aside, when I was young I overwhelmingly preferred live versions, albums like Around the World with Three Dog Night, Wings Over America, The Song Remains The Same, and All the World's a Stage being my early favorites. As an adult though, I almost always prefer studio versions, with a few exceptions, like most the tracks off of All the World's a Stage. But take The Song Remains the Same, apart from No Quarter, I'll take the studio version of every track even though I really enjoy the album.

• Like 1

What I said above. Live versions that make listening to the studio version pointless, more or less. There are probably few songs with both live and studio versions that one likes equally as much; you're almost always going to prefer one to another. I'm asking about those live songs that basically make you uninterested in the studio versions, or make listening to the studio versions difficult. There's only a few songs like that for me; I named three that immediately came to mind. As an aside, when I was young I overwhelmingly preferred live versions, albums like Around the World with Three Dog Night, Wings Over America, The Song Remains The Same, and All the World's a Stage being my early favorites. As an adult though, I almost always prefer studio versions, with a few exceptions, like most the tracks off of All the World's a Stage. But take The Song Remains the Same, apart from No Quarter, I'll take the studio version of every track even though I really enjoy the album.

But in those days (the 70s) LZ didn't have the gadgets they now have to make live stuff sound great.

That was part of my original post that I deleted and why I stopped going to concerts. Concerts always disappointed me because the songs never sounded the same and always worse. A lot of time, much worse. The only exception was Peter Frampton on his Frampton Comes Alive tour.

Edited by Lorraine

Do You Feel Like We Do - By The Fram.

Iconic!

Liberty slays it on the drums, and the keys are incredible.

The one with George Michael? :notworthy:

Maybe I'm Amazed.

Jimmy McCulloch on guitar and Joe English on drums, combined with Paul's impassioned vocals, take the the Over America version to another level

Speaking of George.

• Like 2

The Who - Young Man Blues ( Live at Leeds / Isle of Wight )

The Who - Magic Bus ( Live at Leeds )

The Who - My Generation ( Live at Leeds / Hull )

Golden Earring - Radar Love ( Live 1977 )

Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine ( Ummugumma )

• Like 6

I won’t say ‘ruined’ the studio versions, but I do understand the spirit of the question. I just think music recorded in a studio can and does have its own kind of energy. But for live versions of songs that, let’s say, far exceed their studio counterparts, here are some that haven’t been mentioned:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and Whipping Post- The Allman Brothers, At Fillmore East

Blues for Allah- The Grateful Dead, One from the Vault

Suite Madame Blue- Styx, Caught in the Act

I’m sure I can think of more...

My first thought was "Anything by the Allman Brothers or Grateful Dead". Pretty much only listen to their live stuff. Can't recall last time putting on a studio album.

The two Allman tunes you listed are probably the two that would come to my mind first. I'll add Dreams. I usually change my personalized license plate every couple years. After three consecutive Rush themes (LAMNETH, 21I2, HMSPHRS), I now have L1Z REED.

As far as the Dead go, Dark Star and The Other One would probably be the two that distance themselves the most from studio. I love your suggestion of One From The Vault. Haven't listened to that in ages. What a great sounding album. Shame their isn't more stuff from 75. Love that Help>Slip>Tower. Think I'll play that now

• Like 1