Is Grace Under Pressure darkwave?

fraroc

Revisionist history imo.

Reversed engineered horseshit....

I’m with you. With a little elbow grease, it’s possible to wedge Rush into nearly every musical genre out there. In 30 years when there’s another musical category that is created, it’ll probably be possible to argue that Rush was that too.

• Like 2

P/G is definitely a dark themed album, with some dark sounds. But it also has a youthful enthusiasm to it. Always felt that way to me.

Youthful enthusiasm and somewhat hopeful. Sort of like being a teenager living in the Cold War years knowing that there's at least one nuke pointed at your hometown.

• Like 1

Revisionist history imo.

I’m with you. With a little elbow grease, it’s possible to wedge Rush into nearly every musical genre out there. In 30 years when there’s another musical category that is created, it’ll probably be possible to argue that Rush was that too.

Except that RUSH were pretty open about what they were listening to at the time.
  • Like 1

Revisionist history imo.

Except that RUSH were pretty open about what they were listening to at the time.

Yeah they always have been, haven’t they?

Bottom line: I just don’t see much value in categorizing bands into musical genres, especially when the genre itself didn’t exist when the album was made. To me, it’s in the same ballpark as that silly debate of “Permanent Waves is a 70s/80s album”

• Like 2

Revisionist history imo.

Yeah they always have been, haven’t they?

Bottom line: I just don’t see much value in categorizing bands into musical genres, especially when the genre itself didn’t exist when the album was made. To me, it’s in the same ballpark as that silly debate of “Permanent Waves is a 70s/80s album”

gotcha. genres are kind of pointless, especially when it comes to RUSH.
  • Like 2

Revisionist history imo.

They combined rap and rock before nu-metal made a massive impact.

I'm reaching, but still!

• Like 2

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

:LOL:

RUSH have always reacted to trends, not driven them. And they were great at doing so.

• Like 3

Revisionist history imo.

They combined crap and rock before nu-metal made a massive impact.

Agreed. Hold Your Fire I’m looking at you...

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

RUSH have always reacted to trends, not driven them. And they were great at doing so.

Prog Metal?

The high priests of high concept.

The godfathers of progressive metal.

Even that asshole had to admit how awesome Rush is was.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

Prog Metal?

Yes-Zeppelin.

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

Prog Metal?

Yes-Zeppelin.

More like imo

Yes + zeppelin =rush

Yikes talking about revising history for me.

I agree that rush were among the fathers of prog metal. When they were doing such no one i know was using the term prog or progressive.

They were imo quite a bit more heavy than their peers in what we used to call art rock

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

D'oh!

Edited by tangy

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

Perhaps you are reaching but i tend to agree? they were one of the first and relatively few who did so. After run dmc and aerosmith being the best known of course

Pre bring the noize collab between public enemy and anthrax you had a fave of mine. Old school rhcp when anthony rapped more than sang.

Throw in fishbone and maybe the bad brains in there too.

Still rush was in there early especially for a trio of middle aged canadians..

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

Prog Metal?

Yes-Zeppelin.

More like imo

Yes + zeppelin =rush

That's what my hyphenation was intended to suggest.

I agree that rush were among the fathers of prog metal. When they were doing such no one i know was using the term prog or progressive.

They were imo quite a bit more heavy than their peers in what we used to call art rock

RUSH became a heavier version of what early Kansas and Styx were doing. Compare Kansas 1974 to RUSH 1974. Peart made the transition away from Zep-rock possible. Edited by goose
  • Like 3

The Enemy Within progression steals wholesale from Spirits in the Material World by the Police, which is on their dark-wave inspired Ghost in the Machine.

Listen to the outro of TEW and then the intro of Spirits.

Don't hear it.

I've listened to both songs countless times but usually not one right after the other. Some have said they're ripping off The Police at various points on this album and I just don't hear it.

Sure some of the technique is similar and I don't discount there was some influence but I never hear a direct connection that some say is there. Never did an A-B comparison before with any of these songs but I've done a ton of miles with both bands so the music kind of hard-wired by now.

Maybe I need to hear one right after the other.

Revisionist history imo.

I'm reaching, but still!

Prog Metal?

That term was coined later too.

The Enemy Within progression steals wholesale from Spirits in the Material World by the Police, which is on their dark-wave inspired Ghost in the Machine.

Don't hear it.

I've listened to both songs countless times but usually not one right after the other. Some have said they're ripping off The Police at various points on this album and I just don't hear it.

Sure some of the technique is similar and I don't discount there was some influence but I never hear a direct connection that some say is there. Never did an A-B comparison before with any of these songs but I've done a ton of miles with both bands so the music kind of hard-wired by now.

The keyboards in Spirits at the intro - off beat, fast reggae. Enemy Wothin could very well be the same chords - same progression, fast reggae.

Alex blatantly ripped off the Police again with Red Tide 5 years later.

• Like 1

Don't hear it.

The keyboards in Spirits at the intro - off beat, fast reggae. Enemy Wothin could very well be the same chords - same progression, fast reggae.

I do hear what you're referring to but it's a different tempo and different timbre so I really don't see it as a direct ripoff. I think the context is different and maybe that's why I'm not seeing it.

Since I was in that deliberate mindset I tossed on disc three of the Police Box and noticed that the live version of Driven To Tears , the short guitar burst sound sounds exactly like one Red Sector A. It's very sort but it's repetitive. It also might be a choice related to the technology at the time. Never made that connection before but that short burst does sound exactly the same to me in this case.

• Like 1

Don't hear it.

I do hear what you're referring to but it's a different tempo and different timbre so I really don't see it as a direct ripoff. I think the context is different and maybe that's why I'm not seeing it.

Since I was in that deliberate mindset I tossed on disc three of the Police Box and noticed that the live version of Driven To Tears , the short guitar burst sound sounds exactly like one Red Sector A. It's very sort but it's repetitive. It also might be a choice related to the technology at the time. Never made that connection before but that short burst does sound exactly the same to me in this case.

That Andy solo on that live Driven to Tears is absolute fire.

• Like 2

Don't hear it.

That Andy solo on that live Driven to Tears is absolute fire.

Greatest Police song ever.

• Like 1