Is Grace Under Pressure darkwave?

fraroc

According to wikipedia, "Dark wave or darkwave is a music genre that emerged from the new wave and post-punk movement of the late 1970s.[5][6] Dark wave compositions are largely based on minor key tonality and introspective lyrics, and have been perceived as being dark, romantic, and bleak, with an undertone of sorrow." Essentially synthpop with dark, depressing lyrics.

Based on this definition alone, I think that Grace Under Pressure falls under this category. Every single track on this record showcases some kind of darkness, sadness, or unpleasantry about life.

1. Distant Early Warning: Cold War tensions and nuclear war

2. Afterimage: Loss of a loved one

3. Red Sector A: The Holocaust

4. The Enemy Within: Anxiety and the power of fear

5. The Body Electric: Technology taking over humanity

6. Kid Gloves: Bullying and hatred

7. Red Lenses: McCarthyism and The Red Scare

8. Between The Wheels: Living in times of war.

What do you guys think?

• Like 6

Sure, why not? Although I had always thought darkwave came more from synthwave than new wave, and believe it or not I don't think any of Rush's music has enough synth to qualify as synthwave.
  • Like 1

As Rush in a kind of unique genre of their own then yeah GuP could very well be classed as the band's very own unique Dark wave, not fitting completely into pattern of general Dark wave but their own version of it

probably isn't the only album to fit into that category actually

the whole vibe for g/p is dark, cold, bleak...especially Alex's guitar tone, it sounds like he was recorded in some moonless, frozen wasteland.

I've been thinking this about G/P for years. It is a cold album, it is a Cold War album. The last drum crash of Between the Wheels is very cold. And Alex's tone. throughout, is consistently cold, but not in an unpleasant way.

• Like 4

There's certainly nothing romantic about it.

It definitely isn't romantic in the contemporary sense of the word. But I can see it being that in the classical sense of the word.

• Like 1

Interesting...I suppose so, based on the definition given.

But honestly it’s not something I’d ever think about while I’m listening; I’d rather just enjoy the music on the album the same way that I have since it was new.

• Like 2

According to wikipedia, "Dark wave or darkwave is a music genre that emerged from the new wave and post-punk movement of the late 1970s.[5][6] Dark wave compositions are largely based on minor key tonality and introspective lyrics, and have been perceived as being dark, romantic, and bleak, with an undertone of sorrow." Essentially synthpop with dark, depressing lyrics.

Based on this definition alone, I think that Grace Under Pressure falls under this category. Every single track on this record showcases some kind of darkness, sadness, or unpleasantry about life.

1. Distant Early Warning: Cold War tensions and nuclear war

2. Afterimage: Loss of a loved one

3. Red Sector A: The Holocaust

4. The Enemy Within: Anxiety and the power of fear

5. The Body Electric: Technology taking over humanity

6. Kid Gloves: Bullying and hatred

7. Red Lenses: McCarthyism and The Red Scare

8. Between The Wheels: Living in times of war.

What do you guys think?

i think someone has way too much time on their hands and needs to get out more and laugh and have a good time.

Good to see you, Fraroc. :) Where did you disappear to? :popcorn:

Edited by Lorraine

I'd say yes to the musical ingredients as fitting the criteria (in principle), but the difference is Rush were not navel-gazing, self-absorbed. And... well it's Rush. So not narrowly definable even on one album - the tempo alone drags it well above stock Darkwave fare.

Many bands were biting dark-wave at the time, so I think with Rush, they were influenced by dark wave, because in turn, dark wave was influencing pop.

Sorta disagree...this is '83/84' Madonna, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Huey Lewis, Phil Collins... were dominating MTV...(plus add your crap hair band....)

The only other mainstream band that I would consider darkwave was U2...

Maybe that`s why Alex cites Dave Evens as an influence....

• Like 1

I remember at the time of GUP I was listening to Rage in Eden by Ultravox and War by U2 a lot and most likely so were Rush.They had a darker,minor tone to them.Midge Ure ‘s arpeggios and lots of synths were similar and I thought The Edge’s solo on New Years Day was something Alex could have dreamed up.Unlike a lot of Rush fans they didn’t like this new sound.I thought it was great.Darkwave is a good term
  • Like 1

the whole vibe for g/p is dark, cold, bleak...especially Alex's guitar tone, it sounds like he was recorded in some moonless, frozen wasteland.

I've been thinking this about G/P for years. It is a cold album, it is a Cold War album. The last drum crash of Between the Wheels is very cold. And Alex's tone. throughout, is consistently cold, but not in an unpleasant way.

This is one of the best Rush Threads all year. "GUP" will always be my second favorite Rush record. "Dark Wave" is a great term for such a moonless masterpiece. Yet the stars still shine brightly in the Rush Universe. The irony for me on "Between The Wheels" is for my ears, Alex's solo is one of the most beautiful and melodic guitar solos on the planet. When I play my drums to that song and Alex's solo starts I drift into an inspired zone that leaves me uplifted and and excited.

• Like 3

There's certainly nothing romantic about it.

It definitely isn't romantic in the contemporary sense of the word. But I can see it being that in the classical sense of the word.

:yes: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

This is one of the best Rush Threads all year. "GUP" will always be my second favorite Rush record. "Dark Wave" is a great term for such a moonless masterpiece. Yet the stars still shine brightly in the Rush Universe. The irony for me on "Between The Wheels" is for my ears, Alex's solo is one of the most beautiful and melodic guitar solos on the planet. When I play my drums to that song and Alex's solo starts I drift into an inspired zone that leaves me uplifted and and excited.

:goodone:

The whole album affects me that way...as though below all the bleak observation there's an underlying optimism.

Edited by goose
  • Like 4

Between the Wheels is one of Alex’s best solos,gripping and emotional,like all his solos on the album.
  • Like 2

Many bands were biting dark-wave at the time, so I think with Rush, they were influenced by dark wave, because in turn, dark wave was influencing pop.

Sorta disagree...this is '83/84' Madonna, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Huey Lewis, Phil Collins... were dominating MTV...(plus add your crap hair band....)

The only other mainstream band that I would consider darkwave was U2...

Maybe that`s why Alex cites Dave Evens as an influence....

Tears for Fears

The Police

Duran Duran

Especially U2

Ultravox

Roxy Music

I’d say were all darwave influenced, and pretty influential and big in 83/84.

• Like 1