Bands Similar To Rush

mustachecake

Tiles and Paradigm Blue also come to mind. Great musicianship, extended and complex song structures.

I put out a CD last year called Immovable Mover with a very heavy (probably too heavy) mid-late '80s Rush influence, but I've moved on since then and won't likely be doing anything else with such a blatant Rush influence again (I'll always be a Rush fan, but I didn't find being a thinly-veiled Rush clone to ultimately be a very satisfying role as a musician, LOL!). wink.gif

YES >> A band that influenced Rush very much...

King Crimson are another prog-rock band with great musicians

But I say YES are awesome wink.gif

"Coheed And Cambria" has been compared to Rush. I don't really see it, maybe it's the singer who has a high pitched voice. But they sound as much like rush than any I've seen named so far. 1022.gif

Would it be too obvious to mention Max Webster? Sorry but I can't stand Zebra! 062802puke_prv.gif Tool and Primus rock!!! common001.gif Triumph in their day... and am I the only one that just doesn't get Dream Theatre? To me they have the ambitious musicianship of 2.gif; but lack the artistic expression that 2.gif has always put first and which has won them a fiercely loyal core group of fans. Of course expecting anyone to live up to such artistic heights is to guarantee disappointment, but I have yet to be so disappointed by 2.gif , or so impressed by DT. There are DT songs that I can listen to with appreciation, like some Y. Malmsteen stuff, but I can't say that either have ever really captured my emotions the way art is supposed to. Scales done in 64th notes ain't art. I don't want to listen to whatever some musician can play the fastest, I want to hear what moves them the most, expressed in a way that moves me the most. That is what 2.gif does best, and what only a handful of other groups in rock have ever equaled.

and.......playing fastest is not being more technical....

technique is phrasing.....and complexity in arrangements....

try to sing and play bass like Geddy!!

or being so clean on 32th drum patterns like Neil!

it is more difficult than a bunch of 64th notes casually played...

cool.gif

Archived