The LPs from your parents' collection that introduced you to music

Rutlefan

Three Dog Night... various though I remember the live album, Around the World with... the best.

Simon and Garfunkel... my folks might have had one of the early ones also but the only one I remember was Greatest Hits, which I wore out. I think I would have remembered Bookends and Bridge Over Troubled Water if they had them.

2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack. The music is epic, of course, along with some pretty weird sh*t that I'm sure I just skipped over. I loved staring at the McCall artwork, just carried away by it. The cartwheel space station with the Pan Am shuttle blasting out of it was on the cover, and the gatefold interior art was of the sprawling moon base. Great stuff. Oddly, I also loved to listen to Graham Nash's Immigration Man while staring at the 2001 cover, though the song had nothing to do with space. I just liked the way they went together I guess.

Jean-Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage. I loved this LP, especially the opening track New Country and the space-y (there's the sci-fi geek in me again) Wandering on the Milky Way.

Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack. Certain tracks mainly. Everything's Alright was really my favorite; still sounds great.

Elton John Greatest Hits. Along with Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, this was the soundtrack of my early home life. I was really obsessed with Elton's music for a good while, until he started getting into the disco stuff with Philadelphia Freedom and Don't Go Breaking My Heart. I didn't hate it but it was no longer my music. I started following my older brother's lead, leaving my parents' music behind. From Elton I went to Kiss, then Zeppelin, then Rush, then Aerosmith. Zeppelin, Rush and Aerosmith were the kings of my music taste for years, with other bands coming and going until I got into post-punk (I retroactively came to appreciate New Wave).

p.s. I was really really into Wings Over America around the same time I had discovered Zeppelin (my brother convinced me to spend my allowance on The Song Remains the Same for entirely selfish reasons, but it turned out well for me anyway); I think that came from my parents' collection but not so sure as I was buying my own music by then, or listening to my older brother's. In any event, Wings Over America was a pivotal collection of songs. I still get chills hearing that cover of Richard Cory.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4

jeoeUu4.jpg This was the first album my father played one time that I asked him what the name of the song was. Jazz, but what the heck! Great music is great music! Heard all the top 40 rock on CKLW AM, in Windsor, Canada. The first album I borrowed was from my sister, and it was

tYfTn01.jpg

This was one of my first 300 albums I bought for myself. The other album I borrowed was the Bee Gees album with "How can you mend a Broken Heart. I bought that song for myself after I got my job from Ford Motor Company in fall of '77. I bought the Bee Gees greatest hits Vol. 2. The next album I borrowed from my sister was a Top hits rock album I found the cover art for awhile ago, but it's lost on one of my past comps. but it had "The Lion Sleeps tonight" on it. The next album I borrowed from a cousin, and it was

rT7IEmt.jpg

My first comedy album!

qZ2cAX3.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

^ Speaking of things Canadian, my dad was a big Gordon Lightfoot fan (I think he sympathized with recovering alcoholics, especially if they were good storytellers). I used to listen to his Gordon albums. Of course I loved The Edmund Fitzgerald but my favorite song was Early Morning Rain. Still really love that.
  • Like 1

jeoeUu4.jpg This was the first album my father played one time that I asked him what the name of the song was. Jazz, but what the heck! Great music is great music! Heard all the top 40 rock on CKLW AM, in Windsor, Canada.

qZ2cAX3.gif

The big 8 CKLW! My older sister was a member of Tom Clay's IBBB when he worked there.
  • Like 1

For me it wasn't LP's, but singles, particularly a 4 disc box set of Chrismas carols by Bing Crosby on Decca. Most memorable was a jazz version of Jingle Bells, with vocal back up by The Andrews Sisters.
  • Like 3

p.s. I was really really into Wings Over America around the same time I had discovered Zeppelin (my brother convinced me to spend my allowance on The Song Remains the Same for entirely selfish reasons, but it turned out well for me anyway); I think that came from my parents' collection but not so sure as I was buying my own music by then, or listening to my older brother's. In any event, Wings Over America was a pivotal collection of songs. I still get chills hearing that cover of Richard Cory.

Walk away!

First rock album of my very own, and an amazing collection of music.

• Like 2

One of my earliest music memories is my sisters and I playing my mom's teen year 45's that were left in my grandparents basement...

R-5790734-1413760935-8551.jpeg.jpg

51ldKSkQjBL._SY355_.jpg

8182T4IgCGL._SX522_.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

Eh?

My parents' collection?

I was born in 1954; they were born in 1915 and 1918.

Need I say more?

No, my parents are a bit younger than yours bit their records were all Nat King Cole and Ray Conniff and his singers!

• Like 1

Eh?

My parents' collection?

Need I say more?

No, my parents are a bit younger than yours bit their records were all Nat King Cole and Ray Conniff and his singers!

My parents never bought any records. I can't remember my father ever liking any music, and my mother's favorite song was Lara's Song from Dr. Zhivago.

My sister (9 years older than me), on the other hand, listened to Ray Conniff, and she was the one who had me listening to Broadway play soundtracks before I was in school.

My late brother (God rest his soul I miss him terribly - he was 13 years older) was in the Air Force, so he wasn't around much at all when I was young but, when he was around he listened to things like Book of Love (whoever sang it I have no idea) and laugh all the time. He was the one though that brought home one evening from work the 45 "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and that was the very first time I ever heard of The Beatles.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I don't think there was anything in my parents collection that had any real influence: my mother listened to Johnny Ray, and my father listened to ABBA, Bucks Fizz, Billie Jo Spears, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash.
  • Like 1

My mother never listens to music on her own; my father was always really into classical music when I was a kid.

BUT, my dad belonged to some sort of "record-of-the-month" club (like Columbia, I guess, for classical music/opera/etc.) and one month they accidentally sent him some K-Tel hits collection that had Blondie's "Heart of Glass" and Styx's "Renegade" on it, and he gave it to me and my brother and we wore the grooves off that thing, playing it over and over.

• Like 4

Broadway musical LP'S mainly.

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Mick

:yes:

Sound of Music, South Pacific, Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver!...

• Like 4

Broadway musical LP'S mainly.

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Mick

:yes:

Sound of Music, South Pacific, Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver!...

Annie Get Your Gun, Gigi, Peter Pan, West Side Story, Gypsy

Heavy stuff!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:7up:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Eh?

My parents' collection?

Need I say more?

YES!

HI5rVAj.jpg

• Like 1