Guns n' Roses

Lorraine

Great rock and roll band. The debut is untouchable.

Lies is great.

Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are mostly terrible and bloated. Losing Steven Adler was disastrous.

Axl said his drugs took precedence over the band and that he was into other dark things besides, but he never said what.

What do you think of Axl Rose as a songwriter?

Edited by Lorraine

Lies is great.

Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are mostly terrible and bloated. Losing Steven Adler was disastrous.

Axl said his drugs took precedence over the band and that he was into other dark things besides, but he never said what.

I’d say he’s extremely talented - but he needs a producer- someone to properly arrange the material and properly pace the album. There’s no reason Chinese Democracy should’ve gone on as long as it did.

Lies is great.

I’d say he’s extremely talented - but he needs a producer- someone to properly arrange the material and properly pace the album. There’s no reason Chinese Democracy should’ve gone on as long as it did.

He said it was because they are perfectionists. :huh:

Lies is great.

He said it was because they are perfectionists. :huh:

I don’t think rock should be perfect. And I think the producer has to find those perfect morsels. It should be good though!

• Like 1

I was in middle/high school when they were the biggest band in the world. Loved them back then. They hold a very special place in my youth. Along with Metallica they were the first real hard rock band I saw live back when they toured together in 1992. I still really like them now but don't listen to them anywhere near like I used to back then. I'm still somewhat surprised that Slash and Duff decided to work with Axl again. But everything came off well for their reunion tour and all the drama that used to plague the band seems to have been left in the past now. I look forward to any potential new material they might do together.
  • Like 1

They jumped the shark when they did the overindulgent November Rain video with the orchestra. You can't go back to the gritty metal band from Appetite for Destruction when you turn into corporate rock.

Lost their balls and never found them again.

• Like 1

Personally, I haven't ever liked them like the same with "Aerosmith", but I've liked a few songs from them, and "November Rain" is, and has been one of them. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

GnR feel like they should be the greatest rock and roll band ever or something, but I find myself consistently preferring their inspirations (Aerosmith etc) to them. Slash is a mesmerizing guitarist, and Axl has incredible vocal talent and skill, and the other guys are all great (though I've never quite memorized them)...but somehow they feel kind of fake or empty or something, which makes zero sense. Maybe I just wish they had more to write home about in their catalogue, but then I've just gotten Use Your Illusion I, and the highlights aren't initially as brilliant as I'd been hoping (also the deep cuts are pretty fillerish, if well dressed).

I like them. I love some of their work. I don't love them.

They jumped the shark when they did the overindulgent November Rain video with the orchestra. You can't go back to the gritty metal band from Appetite for Destruction when you turn into corporate rock.

Lost their balls and never found them again.

Appetite and GnR Lies were good, but that's it.
  • Like 2

Not the same without Izzy. Wise move jumping from that sinking ship back then that was Axl’s douchebaggery and ego. Underrated rhythm guitarist and wrote some of their best songs.

Even though I hate using this word, I do respect this new “woke” Axl of late, though.

Appetite for Destruction was my gateway into hard rock and metal as a kid. That album will always hold a special place with me.

I actually love Axl's overindulgent shit too though...November Rain, Estranged (my favorite GNR song and just one of my favorite songs in general), those stupid ass videos (Axl swimming with dolphins!) :LOL: I love all that.

In that ridiculousness I think there's some great songwriting though (much like Glenn Danzig). Even on Chinese Democracy, a song like Street of Dreams sounds like Axl trying to write an Elton John song, but he's pretty good at it. That said...most of that stuff doesn't come close to a song like Rocket Queen.

• Like 2

Love them. Including the Use Your Illusion albums and The Spaghetti Incident?. Chinese Democracy has its moments, but all the songs are like Estranged, a little overproduced IMO.

I've seen them live 3 times, in 1987 opening for Aerosmith, in 1991 as a headliner and again in 2017. All of the shows were great.

I know it's cool to say how uncool they are, but they were awesome in their prime. And they are again now that they realize what the public won't put up with anymore.

• Like 2

Personally, Guns n' Roses songs have the tendency to wear out their welcome. They definitely don't leave me wanting more. And that Axl Rose dude shrieks to very annoying heights.

Same here. A song or two and I'm good.
  • Like 1

Personally, Guns n' Roses songs have the tendency to wear out their welcome. They definitely don't leave me wanting more. And that Axl Rose dude shrieks to very annoying heights.

I couldn't take a steady diet of his voice either, but I watched a documentary on him and found him and his band interesting.

I used to be able to do a great impression of Axl's voice when I was younger. These days not so much lol.

That screeching wears on your throat pretty quickly.

i used to be able to sound like Neil Young. :laughing guy: No joke. I did a mean rendition of Don't Let It Bring You Down. Couldn't tell me and Neil apart on a cassette recording of me singing the song with him. I was about 19/20 years old.

Ah, to be young! :codger:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3