RIP Bill Buckner

goose

At age 69, far too young. Buckner was a great player that, sadly, may be most remembered for an unfortunate infield bungle.

:rose:

His Seinfeld appearances are classics!

• Like 1

At age 69, far too young. Buckner was a great player that, sadly, may be most remembered for an unfortunate infield bungle.

Do you mean Curb Your Enthusiasm? (Easy to get them confused after all these years.)

And it was easy to blame Buckner for losing Game 6, but I think Mookie beats him to first base anyway.

• Like 1

Do you mean Curb Your Enthusiasm? (Easy to get them confused after all these years.)

And it was easy to blame Buckner for losing Game 6, but I think Mookie beats him to first base anyway.

Yeah. It was Keith Hernandez that was on Seinfeld.

I think you're right; I think Mookie still wins the race to the bag. I think he was already past the pitcher, who'd be responsible for covering first (Bob Stanley, at that point?).

And we can also put some blame on Calvin Schiraldi, the reliever who put the tying runs on base. Schiraldi and Clemens played college ball together in Texas and Schiraldi was actually considered Clemens's equal, with one crucial exception: Clemens would WORK, while Schiraldi was a lazy, spoiled rich kid.

Poor Buckner. Another Buckner factoid: he was the outfielder when Hank Aaron hit his 715th homer (the record breaker), over his head.

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 2

Also..."Boston manager John McNamara chose to have Buckner take the field in the bottom of the inning instead of bringing Stapleton in as a defensive replacement for the ailing Buckner as he had in games one, two and five"

And how many even remember that there was a game seven yet to be played?

Also..."Boston manager John McNamara chose to have Buckner take the field in the bottom of the inning instead of bringing Stapleton in as a defensive replacement for the ailing Buckner as he had in games one, two and five"

I remember. In games 6 and 7, my family and I were doing sambuca shots whenever the Mets scored in late innings.

McNamara denies this, but his decision to not replace Buckner late in Game 6 - like he'd always done before - might've been that he wanted Buckner on the field when they won the Series.

And we can also put some blame on Calvin Schiraldi, the reliever who put the tying runs on base.

A lot of blame. Schiraldi was a bum for the Red Sox as well as for the Cubs.

Rest In Peace Bill, the city gave you such hard time after that WS you and your family had to move to Idaho. Idaho which I believe is out in the middle of nowhere. I’m glad all was forgiven after 2004 and 2007.

Peace

I'm sorry, and my condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P. Bill Buckner.

I remember. In games 6 and 7, my family and I were doing sambuca shots whenever the Mets scored in late innings.

Me and my three friends were watching Game 6, and going into the ninth with the Mets down by two runs, I said "I'm buying Burger King for everyone if we come back and win this" (yeah, we ate Burger King back in those days). I ended up buying BK that night, and I didn't mind one bit.

Billy Buck got kind of a bad rap for Game 6. People comment on his bad ankles, but the ball getting by him had nothing to do with his range. Similarly, it's not like it was a difficult play, so the idea that Stapleton SHOULD have been in there is a little bit of armchair quarterbacking. A high school first baseman should have made the play. In the end it was just an error. He was a good player. When they brought him back in 1990 or 1991 and he got a standing ovation opening day, his eyes teared up. Mine did too. I'm glad the 2004 and 2007 and 2013 and 2018 teams got him off the hook. He didn't deserve it.