A poll a day keeps the doctor away...Johnson vs Rose!

well  

20 members have voted

1. 1. pick your fav!

Axl sounds like a girl next to Brian.

I'm going to think about this one.

Axl sounding like a girl is somewhat right as people often said you can hear some Janis Joplin in his voice.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed he's still alive. What a band.

I think Axl being as reclusive as he was after GnR first broke up may have helped him to stay alive in a lot of ways. The Axl of today seems more at peace and has learned to control those mental and emotional issues he had when he was younger. Proof of that is Slash and Duff working with him again. Well, there's that huge payday that comes with the reunion too. But Axl does seem easier to deal with now than he was years ago. I don't think Angus would have asked him to join AC/DC if Axl still had the reputation he did back in the 90s.

All those stories of no shows or showing up at 1 am back in the day were fukked.

i don't think he does that anymore either......least i haven't heard of it.

Mick

I experienced Axl's notorious tardy behavior back in 1992. They were doing a co-headling stadium tour with Metallica who always played first since Axl never showed up in time. After Metallica played a two plus hour set, Axl made sure the crowd waited at least that long before he took the stage. It was after 11PM when GnR came on. It was about 145am when the show ended. Even though everyone knew of Axl's issues with showing up late, they still got very restless and rowdy at times waiting for the show to start.

Great experience overall with the show but I don't believe there was ever a more inconsiderate rock star than Axl in his prime. They work around that issue now by scheduling the shows to start later. The opening band will come on at like 830 and GnR will hit the stage around 10 or so. Pretty much starting everything an hour later than most concerts.

Has he ever given a reasonable explanation for why he got to shows so late?

Something about him needing to be in a certain place mentally in order to perform. He said he couldn't go out on stage until he was all the way in that place. Axl was diagnosed with some form of psychosis in the 90s. I'm sure that played a huge part in why it was so hard for him to just get up on stage and go. Most performers can just turn it on and off when it's time. I guess he never could back then.

i had Heard about Axl's mental issues.

Having depression myself.......i can't really put it all on him.

Anyone that has any form of mental issues knows how taxing it is.

Mick

Yeah, my older brother is on meds for depression and anxiety. He's never done anything harmful to himself or others. He's able to manage it well. But there are times when I'll be in the same room talking to him and you can tell his mind is not completely there. His brain just drifts off into another world sometimes.

i don't take med (sometimes probably against my own interest, lol) i've learned mine comes in waves. i can ride it out.....i just try not to talk with people. cause i get so brutal. that's why you may not see me on here sometimes......i made friends here and i don't wanna snap at people. so i just wait it out.'

Mick

Axl sounding like a girl is somewhat right as people often said you can hear some Janis Joplin in his voice.

I think Axl being as reclusive as he was after GnR first broke up may have helped him to stay alive in a lot of ways. The Axl of today seems more at peace and has learned to control those mental and emotional issues he had when he was younger. Proof of that is Slash and Duff working with him again. Well, there's that huge payday that comes with the reunion too. But Axl does seem easier to deal with now than he was years ago. I don't think Angus would have asked him to join AC/DC if Axl still had the reputation he did back in the 90s.

All those stories of no shows or showing up at 1 am back in the day were fukked.

Mick

I experienced Axl's notorious tardy behavior back in 1992. They were doing a co-headling stadium tour with Metallica who always played first since Axl never showed up in time. After Metallica played a two plus hour set, Axl made sure the crowd waited at least that long before he took the stage. It was after 11PM when GnR came on. It was about 145am when the show ended. Even though everyone knew of Axl's issues with showing up late, they still got very restless and rowdy at times waiting for the show to start.

Great experience overall with the show but I don't believe there was ever a more inconsiderate rock star than Axl in his prime. They work around that issue now by scheduling the shows to start later. The opening band will come on at like 830 and GnR will hit the stage around 10 or so. Pretty much starting everything an hour later than most concerts.

Something about him needing to be in a certain place mentally in order to perform. He said he couldn't go out on stage until he was all the way in that place. Axl was diagnosed with some form of psychosis in the 90s. I'm sure that played a huge part in why it was so hard for him to just get up on stage and go. Most performers can just turn it on and off when it's time. I guess he never could back then.

i had Heard about Axl's mental issues.

Having depression myself.......i can't really put it all on him.

Anyone that has any form of mental issues knows how taxing it is.

Mick

Yeah, my older brother is on meds for depression and anxiety. He's never done anything harmful to himself or others. He's able to manage it well. But there are times when I'll be in the same room talking to him and you can tell his mind is not completely there. His brain just drifts off into another world sometimes.

i don't take med (sometimes probably against my own interest, lol) i've learned mine comes in waves. i can ride it out.....i just try not to talk with people. cause i get so brutal. that's why you may not see me on here sometimes......i made friends here and i don't wanna snap at people. so i just wait it out.'

Mick

I'm an introverted and private person and sometimes that leads to bouts of depression. I'm like you, I don't take meds and just ride it out. It usually subsides within a week and I'm back to normal again for a long time.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

If this video is from the last few years, his voice has held up well but he is missing the force behind the voice.

http://youtu.be/sw8qwepBZvM

yes........i heard a recent clip he doesn't really hit wrong notes but his force of nature power is shot.

but.....age.....drugs i'm sure too. and just the Way he sang can't be healthy on the chords.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Considering all of his screeching and yelling, I'm surprised he can sing at all anymore.

Plus, they said this never was his normal range. His normal range is much lower.

Yeah, his deeper vocal style like on It's So Easy or Mr Brownstone seems like his more natural range.

• Like 3

Considering all of his screeching and yelling, I'm surprised he can sing at all anymore.

Plus, they said this never was his normal range. His normal range is much lower.

Yeah, his deeper vocal style like on It's So Easy or Mr Brownstone seems like his more natural range.

i like his deeper voice.a bit better even. he has a southern drawl in it i always liked.

Mick

• Like 1

Which singer do you prefer?

Axl is my "ROCKET QUEEN!" He blows the poser Brian Johnson away! Jesus, I heard "Thunderstruck" at my record store today I couldn't wait to leave.

Brian is a sweet guy but his voice is shit for AC/DC. Right place right time. Can't even come close to Bon and Axl was in AC/DC for a bit and the set list with Axl catered more to the Bon songs.

I was really hoping to see Axl in AC/DC. Bummer!!!

No comparison really.

I'll take AXL over BJ anyday. Well then again, let me think about that. wink wink. "Sink The Pink" LOL!!!

I hate "Fly On The Wall."

Give me some "Spanish Fly" instead.

Love,

VAN FUCKKING HALEN

• Like 1

I prefer, and like "Brian Johnson", than "Axl Rose". When he was in, and with AC/DC, I've liked Brian instead of Axl. I think, and felt that Axl, should continue, with sticking as the lead singer for Guns N' Roses. Edited by Derek19

Mick

That's just so prima-donna-ish.

• Like 1