Rush’s OTHER drummer - no, not that guy, the OTHER guy

chemistry1973

I never knew this:

—-

“Rush needed to reset. That finally happened with the imminent departure of Rutsey, who proceeded to miss a string of dates in 1974. "We knew early on that John had problems with his health," guitarist Alex Lifeson told Louder Sound in 2016. "He had diabetes, and he was very concerned about whether it would be manageable for him on the road. We used another drummer, Jerry Fielding, and then John came back for a month of club shows. But that was it for John. We had to fire him."

—-

That’s a bootleg I’d like to hear.

Who the f**k is Jerry Fielding???

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-first-american-concert/

https://www.louderso...ee-alex-lifeson

Here's an article that uses the same quote but in addition to that I learned that they auditioned 5 guys in total to replace Rutsey. 3 before Neil and 1 after. from Popoff 's Max Webster book, we know that Paul Kersey was one of the drummers, maybe Fielding was another. I remember reading that the auditions were taped - would love to hear a bit of that included in a box set.

Geddy Lee: On the day that Neil (Peart) auditioned, we had five guys in – three before Neil and one after. The last guy had come a long way, a two-hour drive, and it was a very uncomfortable situation having him audition after Neil, because Neil was so f***ing good. This poor guy had written charts and was playing our songs to charts. We were going through the motions. It was really awkward. I’m looking at Alex and Alex is looking at me. We were embarrassed for this guy because we were both so excited by Neil’s playing. There was no denying that Neil was the man.
Edited by taurus
  • Like 2

The reason Neil got picked was because he was the only one who pronounced Geddy's name correctly as JEDDIE.

:yes:

True RUSH fans know to say it "Jeddie", "Nile", and "Alesh".

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Perfect! If Jerry's still around, we can have Rush again! After all, the only prerequisite for being Rush's drummer is having previously been Rush's drummer, right?

On a serious note I had no idea about any third dude on the stool in Rush, very interesting!

• Like 1