Interesting history of a Rush photo

blueschica

This is totally lifted from Danforth & Pape, ( thank you!) a place with only a Facebook page, no website. They sell awesome t shirts and put up interesting photos as well. I was familiar with the Rush photo but I also always assumed it was backstage at a concert site somewhere.

"Today's random Rush related rambling is inspired by a humble door. And is brought to you by the letter J...

Last night I was ensconced in Danforth’s Library looking through some of Terry O'Neill's photographs. Terry is one of the most celebrated and gifted photographers of all time. He photographed The Beatles and The Rolling Stones when they were still struggling young bands in 1963 and went onto take utterly iconic pictures of some of the biggest names in film, fashion and music from Bardot to Bowie.

The shot that really caught my eye was the picture top left of the actress Monica Vitti as she poses with a clapperboard for the 1966 film 'Modesty Blaise'. She is with Peter O'Donnell (left), the author of Modesty Blaise and the film’s producer Joseph Janni (right). But what immediately jumped out at me (apart from the great composition), was that distinctive door in the background. Emblazoned with the words “WARNING. RED LIGHT STEADY: COMPLETE SILENCE - SHOOTING. FLASHING: QUIET - REHEARSALS. NO PARKING”, I immediately recognised it from hours of poring over pictures of Rush. To the right of that is a shot of Roberta Tovey (taken by Arthur Sidey) with her friends the Daleks in front of another one of those vast doors, as filming was about to begin on the 1966 Dr Who film, 'Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.' starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor.

And then I spotted another shot of Terry’s. This one was taken on 25th May 1978. It shows The Who on the day of their final gig with Keith Moon. They performed a short set in front of an invited group of 300 fans, and recorded Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again for Jeff Stein's rockumentary film, The Kids Are Alright. And there's another one of those familiar doors again. Obviously a popular backdrop for photographers!

Finally, there's the familiar picture of Rush taken in April 1979 just a few months after The Who were there. This shot was taken by Fin Costello who had the enviable task of travelling around Britain with Geddy, Alex and Neil as they embarked on the UK and European leg of their Tour of the Hemispheres. Regular viewers may remember his shots from Southampton earlier in the week.

And so where are these doors? Well it's Shepperton Studios, located about 20 miles to the southwest of London in Shepperton, Surrey. It's a vast film and sound studio complex where blockbusters were (and still are) made and bands like Rush used for pre-tour rehearsals on one of its 15 Different Stages. In Rush’s case, Stage J. Funnily enough, when I first saw this photo in the eighties (probably in Brian Harrigan's Rush biography), I assumed it was the back of a concert venue. Anyway, it’s surely got the making of a good trivia question! What do The Who, Dr Who and Rush have in common?

The list of films that have been made at Shepperton Studios is just staggering from 'A Clockwork Orange' to 'The Muppet Christmas Carol' to a relatively unknown cult movie called 'Star Wars'.

In 2001, Shepperton Studios was sold to the Pinewood Group but it continues to have some pretty big names passing through its doors including Harry Potter, Captain America, Iron Man, Robin Hood and Thor.

And I'm sure its doors will always be open if the three kings ever want to return…"

3oO29RIh.jpg

• Like 7