Desert island picks - Iron Maiden

We had a section on our website for "desert island picks" - which albums of whatever band would you take with you on a desert island. Here's my take on the Maiden catalogue: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/iron-maiden-top-5-desert-island-albums/?fbclid=IwAR3TMRcMXzv5Nu7hhu_v8qnQmhsZ9zO0q2_V0pD9d6rHEaK_a_KEliAp-hU

Thoughts? Comments?

• Like 3

I'd pretty much Take

Number of The Beast

Piece of Mind

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son

Brave New World

Matter of life and Death

so basically the core Dickinson albums. Except Powerslave. As i think it's slightly overrated. and 2 more modern albums.

Mick

Solid choices Rodrigo, although I don't see AMoLaD being appreciably better than any of the post 2000 albums, so I'm not sure I would pick that one over any of the others. Assuming we're leaving off live albums or greatest hits packages (which I think these lists always should), my picks are:

Iron Maiden

Killers

Number of the Beast

Piece of Mind

5th I'd really have to think about. Powerslave is a sentimental choice, because it was the last album I bought on the day of release. Is it better than SiT and 7th Son? I used to say "no question." I'm not so sure anymore.

• Like 1

For something, and anything like this, it, and they shouldn't include live, greatest hits', and compilations' c.ds, and albums. To, and for me, out of their sixteen studio c.ds, and albums, I'm not, and wouldn't include "the X Factor", and "Virtual XI" because it just didn't have Bruce Dickinson in, and lead singing in the band, and group, but those two c.ds, and albums aren't, and haven't been any of their good released ones. By having to pick by choosing five, I'm not able to do that because of the high quality of the great songs from their fourteen other studio c.ds, and albums there are. Edited by Derek19

You'll notice on the same section of the website there's an entry on Van Halen which I wrote, and one on Rush, which a friend of mine wrote. I hope you enjoy it and comment on the website. It helps us grow!!!

The first five albums with Dickinson. I might miss not hearing Brave New World and Dance Of Death since I rank those two right there with Beast through Seventh Son. But the first five with Bruce are it for me.
  • Like 3

Powerslave

Piece of Mind

Then, throw these in a bag and I'll draw out three:

Iron Maiden

Killers

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son

No Prayer

Dance of Death

Final Frontier

Book of Souls

Apologies to Number, but I am among the only people alive who place that beneath so many others. Nevertheless, if I somehow ended up with Number, Seventh, Fear, Brave, or Matter-- I'd still be happy.

Give me the Blaze albums, though, and I guess I'd finally get through listening to them all the way. (even saying that, The Clansman is a great song)

• Like 1

I'm going to do my slightly differently, as one of my top five definitely isn't one of their very best albums, just a real personal favourite:

Wild Card Entry: No Prayer For The Dying

It's definitely the bands weakest album up til that point, but with songs like Tailgunner, the title track, The Assassin and Mother Russia, I just really love this album, and whilst my critical thinking tells me it's not a masterpiece and isn't one of the bands best works, I love it so much.

4. Piece Of Mind

3. Number Of The Beast

2. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

1. Somewhere On In Time

Yeah I wish I could fit Killers and Powerslave in their but...I trulyove these five albums on another level.

• Like 3

I'm going to do my slightly differently, as one of my top five definitely isn't one of their very best albums, just a real personal favourite:

Wild Card Entry: No Prayer For The Dying

It's definitely the bands weakest album up til that point, but with songs like Tailgunner, the title track, The Assassin and Mother Russia, I just really love this album, and whilst my critical thinking tells me it's not a masterpiece and isn't one of the bands best works, I love it so much.

4. Piece Of Mind

3. Number Of The Beast

2. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

1. Somewhere On In Time

Yeah I wish I could fit Killers and Powerslave in their but...I trulyove these five albums on another level.

KILLERS

IRON MAIDEN

PIECE OF MIND

SEVENTH SON

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

KILLERS IS KILLER WITH ZERO FILLER!

• Like 3

Some of you fellas don’t see Beast as one of their 5 best albums? C’mon man.

To each their own. It's only recently become a favourite of mine.

• Like 1

When the chorus to The Prisoner gets stuck in their head one day they'll realize the mistake they've made.

Haha I wonder who you are referring too

And honestly? So true. The Prisoner is without a doubt one of the best unsung Maiden classics ever. I think it's better than even the stunning title track!

I have no issues saying Run To The Hills is my favourite, both for nostalgia and Sony because it's one of the catchiest songs ever.

• Like 1

When the chorus to The Prisoner gets stuck in their head one day they'll realize the mistake they've made.

It'll be too late. They'll be on a deserted island stuck with Virtual XI instead.

• Like 2

It'll be too late. They'll be on a deserted island stuck with Virtual XI instead.

You're being a bit dickish...they have more than five classic albums, it's not hard to believe someone could make a list that includes any of the first eight albums and not include, say, at least three of them.

My top five would almost certainly be Dickinson’s first three (Beast, Piece, Powerslave) and then two from the modern era to scratch that itch, A Matter Of Life And Death and The Final Frontier. Those aren’t necessarily my five favorite albums of theirs, but it would satisfy the most cravings. If granted a bonus platter it would be Killers.

The Final Frontier is easily my fave modern Maiden album. But that may change.

My top five would almost certainly be Dickinson’s first three (Beast, Piece, Powerslave) and then two from the modern era to scratch that itch, A Matter Of Life And Death and The Final Frontier. Those aren’t necessarily my five favorite albums of theirs, but it would satisfy the most cravings. If granted a bonus platter it would be Killers.

I used a very similar rationale for my choices.