Backing vocals / other singers in the band

How did we get this far without mentioning Queen??

Maybe because their vocals were such an integral part of the sound, I don't really think of them as backing vocals ( not sure what label would adequately describe them though.)

• Like 3

Maybe because their vocals were such an integral part of the sound, I don't really think of them as backing vocals ( not sure what label would adequately describe them though.)

I didn’t want to jump at Queen like I always do. Let someone else bring them up for once. But Queen are my favorite example of this. Roger could have been a superstar lead singer in his own right, but he got to be something better: the superstar drummer in a hyper star once in a lifetime legend of a band. And he still got to sing lead sometimes!!

• Like 1

Oh, and what other bands didn't have significant backing vocals or other singers. I think I just thought of another big one. Black Sabbath.

Thin Lizzy .. I think?

• Like 2

I didn’t want to jump at Queen like I always do. Let someone else bring them up for once. But Queen are my favorite example of this. Roger could have been a superstar lead singer in his own right, but he got to be something better: the superstar drummer in a hyper star once in a lifetime legend of a band. And he still got to sing lead sometimes!!

Lol! When I posted that I thought, "How did EP miss Queen?" :LOL: But yes, their harmonies are so beautiful and such a huge part of their sound. I do think you are right about Roger's voice; and I love Brian's on 39, such a great sound altogether as well. I think Queen is close to or equal to the Beach Boys sound with all of their voices making a unique sound. :heart: :heart: :heart:

• Like 2

The Doors. Off the top of my head, I don't think there are any backup vocals that are notable.

Maybe Ray Manzerk did a few ?

Edited by custom55

The Beatles, an obscure British boy band, is surprisingly good at singing harmonies.

But did they ever alternate lead vocals? Not that I recall.

Two from down under immefiayely come to mind: Little River Band & Cold Chisel

From the New Wave era, how about the B52s?

3 potential lead vocals, with character and strength - Kate is underrated. Fred's interjections are fantastic juxtaposed with Kate and Cindy. Then the girls could achieve stunning harmonies. Topaz is sublime.

Fred is fantastic

I cant recall what he singing style is called

There are some awesome early shows on youtube

• Like 2

3 potential lead vocals, with character and strength - Kate is underrated. Fred's interjections are fantastic juxtaposed with Kate and Cindy. Then the girls could achieve stunning harmonies. Topaz is sublime.

Fred is fantastic

Fredprano? :LOL:

What about the Mamas and Papas for that wall of sound harmony?

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 2

Fred is fantastic

No wonder i could not remember

Per wiki its

Sprechgesang (German: [ˈʃpʀɛçɡəˌzaŋ], "spoken singing") and Sprechstimme (German: [ˈʃpʀɛçˌʃtɪmə], "spoken voice") are expressionist vocal techniques between singing and speaking. Though sometimes used interchangeably, Sprechgesang is directly related to the operatic recitative manner of singing (in which pitches are sung, but the articulation is rapid and loose like speech), whereas Sprechstimme is closer to speech itself (because it does not emphasise any particular pitches).[1]

• Like 2

The Beatles, an obscure British boy band, is surprisingly good at singing harmonies.

Numerous times

Like, three?

;)

Fred is fantastic

I love the B-52s and Fred always makes every song better. Ironically, my favorite 52s song is a Cindy solo (Ain't It a Shame), but yeah...Fred rules.

• Like 2

Fred is fantastic

I love the B-52s and Fred always makes every song better. Ironically, my favorite 52s song is a Cindy solo (Ain't It a Shame), but yeah...Fred rules.

Give Me Back My Man is mine
  • Like 3

Fred is fantastic

The best song about trying to bargain with a shark I can think of.

• Like 1

Fred is fantastic

No wonder i could not remember

Per wiki its

Sprechgesang (German: [ˈʃpʀɛçɡəˌzaŋ], "spoken singing") and Sprechstimme (German: [ˈʃpʀɛçˌʃtɪmə], "spoken voice") are expressionist vocal techniques between singing and speaking. Though sometimes used interchangeably, Sprechgesang is directly related to the operatic recitative manner of singing (in which pitches are sung, but the articulation is rapid and loose like speech), whereas Sprechstimme is closer to speech itself (because it does not emphasise any particular pitches).[1]

A monotone vocal technique hailing from Germany? Who's have thought it? :D Never knew that :cheers:

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

Fred is fantastic

Planet Claire for me!

• Like 1

A Day In The Life. Paul sang the ...."woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head....." part while John sang the rest.

I've got A Feeling. John sand the .'everybody had a good year. everybody saw the sunshine...." part while Paul handled the other part.

Those are 2 off the top of my head. Sure there's others

A Day In The Life. Paul sang the ...."woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head....." part while John sang the rest.

I've got A Feeling. John sand the .'everybody had a good year. everybody saw the sunshine...." part while Paul handled the other part.

Those are 2 off the top of my head. Sure there's others

I think they did on a number of their earlier career cuts. Not sure which ones atm.