Backing vocals / other singers in the band

I think something that's been devalued over the past couple decades of rock and pop music is the importance of backing vocals and having multiple people in a group who sing. My dad and I were just discussing how nearly all of the great bands of the 60s, 70s, and 80s at least had great backing vocals, if not also other band members who could take the lead vocal when needed. The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Styx, Queen, Journey, Bon Jovi, Foreigner, Yes, Genesis, Van Halen, and so many others. I think there are a few notable exceptions (Rush, Led Zeppelin, and others I'm sure), but for the most part bands used to have this conception that the lead singer was never the only singer in the band. And I think in pretty much every case the band was better for having more vocalists. What would Van Halen be without Michael Anthony's backing vocals? What would Yes be without their group harmonies? Who would the Who be without Pete Townsend to contrast against Roger Daltrey from time to time?

What do backing vocals mean to you? What do other singers mean to you? What bands do you think don't get enough credit for their backing vocals and secondary singers? What bands do you think could have been better with more vocalists?

Oh, and a question from my dad. What would have happened if Alex and Neil did more backup vocals in Rush, or if they even took the lead on some songs? Personally, I think they would have written music differently (especially in the 70s) to be better suited to having more backing vocals.

• Like 2

Oh, and what other bands didn't have significant backing vocals or other singers. I think I just thought of another big one. Black Sabbath.
  • Like 3

I love backing vocals and harmonies. Kings X, AiC, Def Leppard, Van Halen - makes the songs bigger, and more fun to listen to.

Like Wouldn’t it Be Nice by The Beach Boys. There is so much cool stuff going on in that song. Multiple melodies all at once.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 4

I love backing vocals and harmonies. Kings X, AiC, Def Leppard, Van Halen - makes the songs bigger, and more fun to listen to.

Like Wouldn’t it Be Nice by The Beach Boys. There is so much cool stuff going on in that song. Multiple melodies all at once.

Beach Boys are a great example! Sloop John B is a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

The Eagles had beautiful voice harmonies with each other. "Seven Bridges Road" came to mind first since it is nothing but acapella harmonies, but so many of their songs feature beautiful vocals. (I don't care for them anymore but that's another story.)
  • Like 3

The Eagles had beautiful voice harmonies with each other. "Seven Bridges Road" came to mind first since it is nothing but acapella harmonies, but so many of their songs feature beautiful vocals. (I don't care for them anymore but that's another story.)

Definitely!

• Like 2

AC/DC wouldn't necessarily be who comes to mind first with backing vocals, but I was just listening to them today. (Girl's Got Rhythm, lol.). Malcolm Young and Cliff Williams (bass) did backing vocals on some of their tracks, making them sound "bigger" somehow. Highway to Hell is the obvious one, and Malcolm is the one who starts the "Thunder" chant in Thunderstruck, and is also on Money Talks. I should be able to think of more but I am challenged tonight after helping my daughter clean her *#%$$ dirty apartment. :banghead: Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Def Leppard has always been my favorite when it comes to backing vocals. Everyone in the band does them yet it sounds like there's even more people than that signing at times. It really does provide an extra special something to their songs.
  • Like 4

Crosby stills Nash and young

4 lead singers

Or members of The Band

I was just watching the Classic Albums episode on The Band. Definitely a great group of singers!

• Like 1

4 lead singers

Or members of The Band

I was just watching the Classic Albums episode on The Band. Definitely a great group of singers!

Nice. If you get a chance watch the last waltz. A star studded live show by the band

I watched it recently on amazon? Maybe netflix but one of those two.

Imo no one used studio musicians better than steely dan and the same goes for their backing vocals. Michael McDonald as a back up singer? Yes please

• Like 2

4 lead singers

Or members of The Band

Nice. If you get a chance watch the last waltz. A star studded live show by the band

I watched it recently on amazon? Maybe netflix but one of those two.

Imo no one used studio musicians better than steely dan and the same goes for their backing vocals. Michael McDonald as a back up singer? Yes please

I'll check my library for it! :)

AC/DC wouldn't necessarily be who comes to mind first with backing vocals, but I was just listening to them today. (Girl's Got Rhythm, lol.). Malcolm Young and Cliff Williams (bass) did backing vocals on some of their tracks, making them sound "bigger" somehow. Highway to Hell is the obvious one, and Malcolm is the one who starts the "Thunder" chant in Thunderstruck, and is also on Money Talks. I should be able to think of more but I am challenged tonight after helping my daughter clean her *#%$$ dirty apartment. :banghead:

Yes! Mutt Lange produced Highway to Hell, and I’ll be damned if Touch too Much couldn’t be a Def Leppard song.

• Like 1

I love backing vocals and harmonies. Kings X, AiC,..

Was thinking King's X, but definitely AiC.

Haken are a newer (prog/metal) band that has strong, multiple vocalists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTf081HDtMk

The section that starts at 6:15 is pretty awesome, great prog!

And of course one of their fan favorites that really emphasizes their vocal prowess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVag5OWOvU

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

john frusciante with the RHCP. Josh is ok, but john's voice really cut through.

Example:

Great cover, with a screw up lol.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Two from down under immefiayely come to mind: Little River Band & Cold Chisel

From the New Wave era, how about the B52s?

• Like 2

3 potential lead vocals, with character and strength - Kate is underrated. Fred's interjections are fantastic juxtaposed with Kate and Cindy. Then the girls could achieve stunning harmonies. Topaz is sublime.

• Like 4

3 potential lead vocals, with character and strength - Kate is underrated. Fred's interjections are fantastic juxtaposed with Kate and Cindy. Then the girls could achieve stunning harmonies. Topaz is sublime.

But.... they suck. I agree with the talent, my ears tell me this is true. Their music just misses on almost all levels though.

While we're on the subject of female rock artists, Heart could be a band missing from this thread (until now). Bangles?