Yodelling

grasbo

I was out of a town in the The north of our little island and went down to see a typical covers pub band.Out of the blue after all the standard rawk covers they launched into YYZ and were making a distant fist of it when suddenly after the second little drum fill before the guitar solo the lead singer jumps back on stage and starts yodelling to Hocus Pocus by Focus.A frantic guitar solo which was a nod to Eruption (the Van Halen track,not the Focus one)and its back to the close of YYZ.Was the lead singer taking the piss of Geddy’s later day singing style?Didnt get to talk to the band,they had that Neil Peart disease called Aloofness Paranoias.But I did wonder if Rush ever covered Hocus Pocus when they were fooling around in rehearsal /sound check what it would have sounded like?Band name was Bandolier.Must have been something to do with budgies.
  • Like 4

My brother (a guitar lifer) is both a huge fan of Jan Akkerman from focus, and a huge fan of making fun of Geddy yodeling, so it’s possible he’s onto something...

Seriously, though, that’s a pretty interesting mashup. The EVH part is the head scratcher. I can see Focus, because super high-pitch vocals and epic-length instrumental-friendly songs. EVH? Only the thing you pointed out (Focus and VH both had songs called Eruption that heavily featured the gee-tar). Otherwise I got nothing.

• Like 1

I was out of a town in the The north of our little island and went down to see a typical covers pub band.Out of the blue after all the standard rawk covers they launched into YYZ and were making a distant fist of it when suddenly after the second little drum fill before the guitar solo the lead singer jumps back on stage and starts yodelling to Hocus Pocus by Focus.A frantic guitar solo which was a nod to Eruption (the Van Halen track,not the Focus one)and its back to the close of YYZ.Was the lead singer taking the piss of Geddy’s later day singing style?Didnt get to talk to the band,they had that Neil Peart disease called Aloofness Paranoias.But I did wonder if Rush ever covered Hocus Pocus when they were fooling around in rehearsal /sound check what it would have sounded like?Band name was Bandolier.Must have been something to do with budgies.

The conversation probably went something like this.

Drummer: Hey, let's do YYZ!

Vocalist: f**k no!

Drummer: Why not?

Vocalist: It's an instrumental, dumbass. What am I supposed to do, dance?

Drummer: Ok, Ok. It was just a thought..

Bassist (to singer): What if during one of the drum/bass breakdowns, you did that yodeling thing from Hocus Pocus? That's be hilarious as f**k!

Vocalist: Oh hells yeah! Let's do it!

Guitarist: And since we're already f***ing up the song, how about I go all Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap and play a really stupid solo?

For the uninitiated:

http://youtu.be/TJL942hg0uM

• Like 2

My brother (a guitar lifer) is both a huge fan of Jan Akkerman from focus, and a huge fan of making fun of Geddy yodeling, so it’s possible he’s onto something...

Seriously, though, that’s a pretty interesting mashup. The EVH part is the head scratcher. I can see Focus, because super high-pitch vocals and epic-length instrumental-friendly songs. EVH? Only the thing you pointed out (Focus and VH both had songs called Eruption that heavily featured the gee-tar). Otherwise I got nothing.

Yeah I am big Focus fan to and Akkerman is one of my original heroes along with Blackmore and Hendrix.Here is how this band structured the song and I have got a good memory of it.

First part-YYZ to second drum fill

Second-Yodelling then solo guitar part as per Hocus Pocus

Third-everyone stops except the guitarist who plays that descending guitar line on YYZ just before the synths.Drum roll then

Fourth-Eruption

Fifth-Main YYZ riff and finish.

In hindsight should have whipped out my phone and got rough video,but if I am back in the town I will check them out again.

I always loved Hocus Pocus by Focus... As for Ged's waning years' vocal stylings... That yodel of his was worse than nails on a chalkboard, for me at least. It was always much worse live, too... Nevertheless, his voice 1975-1980 was untouchable...

I always loved Hocus Pocus by Focus... As for Ged's waning years' vocal stylings... That yodel of his was worse than nails on a chalkboard, for me at least. It was always much worse live, too... Nevertheless, his voice 1975-1980 was untouchable...

Ray Danniels allegedly said once that he thought Geddy's voice was shot by 1990.

Geddy sounded good until he got that throat infection - forget which tour it was in the 2000's (maybe someone here remembers which one it was) - and kept on singing with it. He must've done incredible damage to his vocal chords because his singing voice was forever gone afterward. It never came back.

Edited by Lorraine