I heard Bastille Day on terrestrial radio this morning

driventotheedge

No bullshit. KCRX, Seaside, Oregon about 10:00 AM on my way back from a clamming trip to the coast. The only other non-typical song by them i.e. Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions, et. al. I've heard in the last at least 10 years was Red Barchetta.

Anyone else heard any totally unexpected Rush tunes on the radio since like the heyday of free form 70s FM?

• Like 1

On radio, Mystic Rhythms, Bangkok. On classic rock streaming services at a local pub/restaurant I've heard 2112, Making Memories, What You're Doing, Finding My Way, Test for Echo, ByTor...

Huh, Bastille Day was played all the time on the radio here up until the mid 90s. Always thought it was a hit for them. I'm sure the classic rock station here still plays it because those stations don't vary the songs they play too much.

Tears and Show Don't Tell in the last few weeks in regional NSW, Australia. I've never heard any (including radio friendly staples in North America) Rush song on any Australian radio station!
  • Like 1

Not to long ago I heard Red Sector A and Countdown on community/regional radio down in good old Tasmania,Australia.The dj who is on once a week plays some great shit like early 70s heavy rock like Chain,Buffalo,Coloured Balls,Madder Lake,all heavy rock blues before Countdown (our Top of the Pops tv show)came along and destroyed it along with disco
  • Like 1

Not to long ago I heard Red Sector A and Countdown on community/regional radio down in good old Tasmania,Australia.The dj who is on once a week plays some great shit like early 70s heavy rock like Chain,Buffalo,Coloured Balls,Madder Lake,all heavy rock blues before Countdown (our Top of the Pops tv show)came along and destroyed it along with disco

Our regional dj does the same sort of stuff. Why listen to mainstream radio?

I distinctly remember this from the time Test For Echo was not long released.My late brother in law(Rush /Stones fan) and myself were in a pub with the horse racing on Sky tv, a dedicated racing tv channel in oz pubs.Each time they went for a break an instrumental section of TFE,Half the World,Totem,Resist,Limbo and maybe others were played for a few seconds going into the ads.John and I were trying to beat each other to guess the title.

So to all Northern American members does Rush get a lot of airplay ,past and present,on mainstream radio.Here in Oz hearing Rush anywhere is like winning the lottery.I would imagine about the time of PeW and MP they would have.
  • Like 1

Within the last month I heard Where's My Thing on the radio. It was on a modern rock station too. Go figure.

Only times I've ever heard that was in the weeks before Roll The Bones came out. They released a very limited number of Promo singles for that. Still remember arguing with my friend about the new Rush song because he said he heard it too and he described a completely different song. Turns out that he heard Dreamline a few times while I'd heard Where's My Thing? After a few weeks Where's My Thing completely disappeared from the radio for me after that.

I guess the last time something like that happened was Tom Sawyer and Limelight when they were released as the lead singles.

La_Bastille_20060809.jpg

"The prisoner in the dock is hereby sentenced to ..... 30 years in the Bastille!"

[Prisoner] "Ummm...I'd rather not"~

• Like 1

So to all Northern American members does Rush get a lot of airplay ,past and present,on mainstream radio.Here in Oz hearing Rush anywhere is like winning the lottery.I would imagine about the time of PeW and MP they would have.

They do in Reno. For example, I heard Freewill three times last week, as well as Closer to the Heart, Limelight, Tom Sawyer. And I only have the radio on in the car during short commutes of 15 min or less.

Other tracks that get heavy play include Fly By Night, The Trees, Circumstances, The Spirit of Radio, Working Man, Subdivisions.

They do in Reno. For example, I heard Freewill three times last week, as well as Closer to the Heart, Limelight, Tom Sawyer. And I only have the radio on in the car during short commutes of 15 min or less.

Other tracks that get heavy play include Fly By Night, The Trees, Circumstances, The Spirit of Radio, Working Man, Subdivisions.

Pretty similar to Planet Rock in the UK.

The two stations in Portland that actually play Rush (metro population 2 million!) have most of the songs you mentioned in rotation. The exceptions are The Trees and Circumstances. The other 8 are what I hear here, nothing else.

Edited by driventotheedge

Before our one local radio station changed formats to focus on more modern rock in the mid 90s they played a ton of Rush:

Working Man

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Overture/Temples

A Farewell To Kings

Closer To The Heart

The Trees

Spirit Of Radio

Freewill

First four songs from MP

Subdivisions

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

Big Money

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Show Don't Tell

Dreamline

Roll The Bones

Ghost Of A Chance

Animate

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Cold Fire

All played very regularly. The station changed formats before T4E came out. I'm sure the title track and Driven would have gotten good rotation there if the change didn't happen.

I'm always surprised to learn as the years go by that all these songs weren't the huge hits this station led me to believe they were.