Concert Arenas

Lorraine

What is going to happen to all of these arenas when the big draw bands are all dead?

Are there any young bands that can sell out MSG twice in one day for a week of shows like the old bands used to be able to do?

I was thinking about this the other day. When all of the bands who still tour are finally permanently retired or have died off, there is going to be a big drop in income for these arenas and some might have to close their doors.

What I seem to be saying I guess is that the days of concert going may be in its final stages.

Edited by Lorraine

Boxing will return to prominence! MSG will be saved! Actually there's a fight there tomorrow, Crawford vs Khan!

And on June 1 the MSG hosts Anthony Joshua vs STBD (original opponent failed drugs tests).

• Like 2

Boxing will return to prominence! MSG will be saved! Actually there's a fight there tomorrow, Crawford vs Khan!

And on June 1 the MSG hosts Anthony Joshua vs STBD (original opponent failed drugs tests).

I forgot about boxing. Used to be a big attraction in the days before concerts.

Thanks!

• Like 1

These arenas will be fine. There are always going to be musical acts that can fill them. Most of these venues don't have concerts as their only source of income. A lot of them in north America have pro hockey and/or basketball teams that keep the arenas going. The bigger concern is what happens to them if the NHL or NBA go under. They will be fine without big concerts as long as the pro sport franchises stay.

I think it’s a good thing that many of these venues are multi-purpose, hosting things like sporting events in addition to touring musicians. Diversification of events seems to be part of the business strategy for entertainment venues.

Some of those touring musical acts are “old” ones that we love, but there are also plenty of younger acts that seem to draw the crowds. They may not individually be selling out MSG for a whole week of shows as you mentioned, but it seems there are enough of them to allow for decent event schedules. We might not find all of those events appealing, but that’s another story for another thread! :)

• Like 1

There are a lot of people who can sell out those, but maybe not the kind of music you'd listen to. Ariana Grande, and Beyoncé as examples.

Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Adele as well.

• Like 3

Arenas are built to house sports teams, then filled in with concerts and events.

There has been a handful of smaller market arenas that went bust, but that's because the grossly overestimated the market for their (minor league) sports teams.

• Like 1

You do realize there are other rock bands out there beyond the big acts right? Once this vacuum exists, they'll likely take the places of the decrepit rockers that still play today. There's still a sizeable demand for rock (and other genres) to easily sustain such large arenas for decades.

There are a lot of people who can sell out those, but maybe not the kind of music you'd listen to. Ariana Grande, and Beyoncé as examples.

Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Adele as well.

Yep, still plenty of younger, yet well established pop acts that will fill these venues for decades to come. I don't think Swift or Adele are going anywhere any time soon.

I really hope a lot of these bands retire soon. Rock and roll needs a revival. And that revival won't happen if the Rolling Stones go on their Steel Wheelchairs Tour.

People have been making that steel wheelchairs joke for 30 years now. The Stones keep proving them wrong though.

• Like 1

I could see arenas closing in the future like malls are today. Hard to say, on one side you have concerts being streamed which would seem to lessen attendance at first glance.

Then you have the emerging technology of the hologram tours.

Pop stars will fill arenas. I include greta van fleet in this category. Boy band.

I read that muse is the only rock group since metallica to rise up to the rank of selling out arenas.

Can you think of another?

I could see arenas closing in the future like malls are today. Hard to say, on one side you have concerts being streamed which would seem to lessen attendance at first glance.

Pop stars will fill arenas. I include greta van fleet in this category. Boy band.

I read that muse is the only rock group since metallica to rise up to the rank of selling out arenas.

Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Imagine Dragons, Disturbed, Slipknot, Korn, System Of A Down.

I'm sure there's more rock/metal acts that have risen up over the last 20 years who can fill arenas. Those bands are just off the top of my head.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Imagine Dragons, Disturbed, Slipknot, Korn, System Of A Down.

I'm sure there's more rock/metal acts that have risen up over the last 20 years who can fill arenas. Those bands are just off the top of my head.

I should of said stadium instead of an Arena. My bad. But yes you are right in saying they can sell out an arena.

Maybe foo fighter and nickleback could sell out a stadium but i doudt.

I will research some more on the venues they play.

Edited by tangy

Well the next foo fighter show here in the states is at the fillmore in new Orleans.

It holds 2200 seats

They're probably doing some special kind of intimate show because they can certainly fill the 15-20 thousand seat venues still. I'm not so sure Foo Fighters couldn't fill stadiums in North America. They're probably the most consistently popular and well liked rock band of the last 25 years. They've been around long enough to build a fan base that would have people of all different ages. Playing stadiums comes with higher production costs. Plus, with such huge venues there can be a bit of a disconnect with the band and the audience. I can see why even if a band is able to play those places they wouldn't want to.

• Like 1

In Europe you have:

Nightwish

Biffy Clyro

Within Temptation

Alter Bridge

Well the next foo fighter show here in the states is at the fillmore in new Orleans.

It holds 2200 seats

They're probably doing some special kind of intimate show because they can certainly fill the 15-20 thousand seat venues still. I'm not so sure Foo Fighters couldn't fill stadiums in North America. They're probably the most consistently popular and well liked rock band of the last 25 years. They've been around long enough to build a fan base that would have people of all different ages. Playing stadiums comes with higher production costs. Plus, with such huge venues there can be a bit of a disconnect with the band and the audience. I can see why even if a band is able to play those places they wouldn't want to.

Great post

The times they are a changing

Yeah there is a lot of moving pieces in the equation. I really dont like the stadium shows and the bands likely make more playing mid size arenas and clubs.

I have only seen 3 stadium shows in my 60+ years . The Grateful dead at rich stadium twice and u2 on the zoo tv tour in denver.

Like i said i recall reading about this but cant find the article. D'oh!

His point was leading up to metallica there were more groups that sold out stadiums like the stones, the police, u2, guns and roses etc etc.

Anyways interesting topic!

In Europe you have:

Nightwish

Biffy Clyro

Within Temptation

Alter Bridge

Yeah but far less popular than muse in europe. I am not selling muse but just kicking around the idea that rock has kinda stagnated in terms of newer groups failing to rise to the same heights of audience's

You do raise an interesting point in the differences between europe and the states.

Thats a whole other rabbbit hole...

In Europe you have:

Nightwish

Biffy Clyro

Within Temptation

Alter Bridge

Yeah but far less popular than muse in europe. I am not selling muse but just kicking around the idea that rock has kinda stagnated in terms of newer groups failing to rise to the same heights of audience's

You do raise an interesting point in the differences between europe and the states.

European audiences have a better and wider range of musical tastes than the US does. I have never been to any part of Europe before and have lived in the US my whole life. So, I have nothing to base this on other than things I have either read or seen videos of. I have always got the impression their music fans are much more knowledgeable and passionate than the US audiences.

• Like 1

In Europe you have:

Nightwish

Biffy Clyro

Within Temptation

Alter Bridge

European audiences have a better and wider range of musical tastes than the US does. I have never been to any part of Europe before and have lived in the US my whole life. So, I have nothing to base this on other than things I have either read or seen videos of. I have always got the impression their music fans are much more knowledgeable and passionate than the US audiences.

Yeah and from my perspective far more into progressive rock. It seems that dream theater plays bigger venues on europe yjan in the states.

Same with steven wilson except for the largest cities in the states like nyc, chicago, san fran etc.

On the flipside, muse plays much smaller venues in the us or headlines festivals

Speaking of muse, since i cant find what i was referring to, i will chalk this up to one too bike crashes and my cooked memory!

Its beer thirty fellows!