Point Of Know Return vs. Toto IV

Question   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you care more for?

• Point Of Know Return - Kansas
    • Toto IV - Toto

Is this a serious poll?

Not sure.

I wasn't even aware that Toto had recorded any other songs besides Africa, Hold The Line and Roseanna until Mick and Segue started endlessly ranting about them on this forum.

• Like 1

Love both. Toto especially.

But this poll is for albums:

Point Of Know Returns wins

• Like 1

220px-Toto_Toto_IV.jpg

Toto IV received six Grammy Awards in 1983 including Album of the Year, Producer of the Year for the band, and Record of the Year for "Rosanna".

Lorraine, check this out: At a time when most bands were using a single 24-track recorder Toto used as many as 3 separate 24-track recorders at the same time.[7] The 24-track recorders were linked with a computerized SMPTE time code system that allowed for up to 69 individual tracks of sound simultaneously.

• Like 2

Hadn't heard Make Believe in ages. Catchy chorus, but not as impactful as Rosanna, overall.

And then comes I Won't Hold You Back. This track cracked the Billboard top 10, and held the #1 spot on the Adult Contemporary List. Another track whose chorus is absolutely killer, but getting to it isn't all that fun.

I'm shocked to see that this album only went triple platinum, selling 3 million plus in the US. I'd swear it sold 42 trillion copies, as it was everywhere back in the day.

• Like 1

The production on POKR holds it back. The guitars and bass are kind of lost in the mix, and overall the sound is a little thin. And that's a shame, because this album was Kansas at their peak. From start to finish the material and the guitar work from Rich and Kerry is really good, and except for Lightning's Hand they're not heard as well as they could be.
  • Like 1

Onto Good For You, and, true to form, the chorus is A-1, solid gold magic. Throughout the song, Jeff Porcaro manages to be completely in-pocket and yet generate a perfect tension of anticipation. Such a great drummer!

[checks time]

Gotta go... :outtahere:

• Like 2

The production on POKR holds it back. The guitars and bass are kind of lost in the mix, and overall the sound is a little thin. And that's a shame, because this album was Kansas at their peak. From start to finish the material and the guitar work from Rich and Kerry is really good, and except for Lightning's Hand they're not heard as well as they could be.

The material is stellar. :yes:
  • Like 1

Change my mind. Toto IV wins this.
  • Like 1

i called this, BTW.

you fickle fukk, lol

Mick

IT ISN'T EASY WHEN BOTH BANDS ARE SEXY AS F*CK

• Like 2

i called this, BTW.

you fickle fukk, lol

Mick

IT ISN'T EASY WHEN BOTH BANDS ARE SEXY AS F*CK

I KNOW RIGHT???

Mick

Toto, Kansas and Styx with Foreigner would be my dream US AOR lineup. Throw in Journey and Strangeways and you have MY WET DREAM

• Like 2

Onto Good For You, and, true to form, the chorus is A-1, solid gold magic. Throughout the song, Jeff Porcaro manages to be completely in-pocket and yet generate a perfect tension of anticipation. Such a great drummer!

[checks time]

Gotta go... :outtahere:

One of the greatest AOR riffs ever. Nothing but good vibes. Nothing else at all.

Love Make Believe as well, and side two also has some great deeper cuts. Also WOW about the Grammys and production stats! Did not know all of that. Such a great summer record. And I LOVE Kimbal’s voice.

But overall, I’m a prog fan and a 70s fan at heart, and Kansas takes it here. Also, I’ve always found the production on PoKR to be stellar personally. The only place where it leaves me a little cold is the climax of the buildup at the start of Portrait, where the drums don’t come in super strong. Thankfully my CD has a bonus track that’s a remix (an actual re mixing, not some total butchering of the song) where the drums hit just right. Maybe not MP or PeW perfect production, but not far off. For me it sounds better than Leftoverture tbh.

Toto has two good songs, HTL and Rosanna Rosanna Dana. Africa sucks.

Kansas fills three albums with art to start and then has occasional hits to finish.

It's not a contest.