Do you consider Springsteen's "Born to Run" to be one of the best songs in American classic rock?

Texas King

Do you consider Springsteen's "Born to Run" to be one of the best songs in American classic rock?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Springsteen's "Born to Run" to be one of the best songs in American classic rock?

In a word NO.

He's done MUCH better.

What exactly has he done MUCH better?

Racing In The Street, The Promise, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, She's The One, Jungleland, The Rising, The River, Wintersong, New York City Serenade,wearing Across The River and many others. I love Born To Run, but he's more than any one song

• Like 2

In a word NO.

He's done MUCH better.

Racing In The Street, The Promise, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, She's The One, Jungleland, The Rising, The River, Wintersong, New York City Serenade,wearing Across The River and many others. I love Born To Run, but he's more than any one song

YOU like those songs better. That doesn't mean they are better songs. And of course he is more than any one song. Born To Run isn't in my Boss top 10 songs, but I don't think he has made many other songs that are MUCH better.
  • Like 1

In a word NO.

He's done MUCH better.

YOU like those songs better. That doesn't mean they are better songs. And of course he is more than any one song. Born To Run isn't in my Boss top 10 songs, but I don't think he has made many other songs that are MUCH better.

I'm not sure I like ant of those songs better. I agree with your statement too. But so many of his songs could have hit at just the right moment to take on the life Born To Run did. Thunder Road is another, and then the BITUSA singles (which mostly leave me cold).

• Like 1

My favorite moment in his catalogue is a toss up between the fake ending in Born To Run, the “this is his last chance” section of Rosalita, the Sax outro of Thunder Road, the soft piano chords towards the end of Jungleland, and especially the guitar solo in Prove It All Night.

I'm not a fan of the Boss so no.

The song is ok, but The Boss is a piece of shi----- moss. Ultra Liberal Jersey Devil.

He's lucky he formed a great band.

Bruce is garbage. He shouts when he sings.

Gives me a headache.

Can't stand the man. I love his band. It's just like the Dave Matthews Band. Dave is a piece of shit. But his band is incredible. Carter is a great drummer. Max Weinberg Rules too! Now I think his son is in the band? Good for him!

Give me "Born To Run" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood everyday!

Disclaimer: You DMB tits can get mad at my take but take a deep breath. I called Dave a "piece of shit" on purpose. You rushhead haters take my stuff so serious and hate me for it. But you don't get me at all. I live for the pun and underground black humor. If you recall, Dave's bus driver pulled over on a bridge in Chicago and dumped all the shite and piss over the side into the Chicago River. Now if I'm wrong and that was fake news then forgive me.

But if it's true. Dave Matthews can eat my hard corn kernel stinking poo!

He's scum.

:LOL: !!

Yes. How is this debatable? Born To Run is on the same level as Dream On, Come Sail Away, Free Falling, La Grange, etc. in the category of greatest American classic rock songs. You may not like it or love it, but its ubiquity and iconic status are undeniable.

Of course I know it's a popular choice but that isn't the point. The OP is asking us for consideration, so NO, it doesn't deserve to be one of the best in American classic rock. Ugh.

Yes. How is this debatable? Born To Run is on the same level as Dream On, Come Sail Away, Free Falling, La Grange, etc. in the category of greatest American classic rock songs. You may not like it or love it, but its ubiquity and iconic status are undeniable.

Of course I know it's a popular choice but that isn't the point. The OP is asking us for consideration, so NO, it doesn't deserve to be one of the best in American classic rock. Ugh.

But it is.

• Like 2

I discovered 'Meeting Across The River' from Born To Run because of Billy Joel mentioning it on Jimmy Kimmel Live!

The trumpet in the song is by Randy Brecker.

Initially when I first heard the song, I thought that Miles Davis stepped in the studio booth to play trumpet. It sort of sounds like a 'Bitches Brew' vibe going on. Also Miles and Bruce recorded for Columbia Records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOaOjc2crx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6OAtvjSf1Y

Even Randy Brecker covered 'Meeting Across The River' live below with a different arrangement featuring his daughter Amanda on vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8qRu_QbbA

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I agree with you, but still felt compelled to mention how much I hate Come Sail Away. :madra:

I would place Born to Run in the top 100 classic rock songs but I have issues with Springsteen. Much of his music is written to sound like the authentic experience of the American working class man. But it sounds so authentic it's inauthentic, if you know what I mean. Springsteen sings his songs with the delivery of a hammy stage actor which, to me, feels artificial on a rock stage but suddenly makes perfect sense for a Broadway stage. The closest rock analogue I can think of is Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell but at least that album seems to have its tongue planted firmly in cheek. Don't get me wrong. Springsteen is a great songwriter but it's kind of hard not to notice some critic-bait artifice in his music.
  • Like 1

I agree with you, but still felt compelled to mention how much I hate Come Sail Away. :madra:

OOF

ah well, Styx will never be some people's cup of tea

for me on the other hand...

I would place Born to Run in the top 100 classic rock songs but I have issues with Springsteen. Much of his music is written to sound like the authentic experience of the American working class man. But it sounds so authentic it's inauthentic, if you know what I mean. Springsteen sings his songs with the delivery of a hammy stage actor which, to me, feels artificial on a rock stage but suddenly makes perfect sense for a Broadway stage. The closest rock analogue I can think of is Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell but at least that album seems to have its tongue planted firmly in cheek. Don't get me wrong. Springsteen is a great songwriter but it's kind of hard not to notice some critic-bait artifice in his music.

Well said.
  • Like 1

Its not bad... I'm pretty lukewarm on the Boss. What makes it for me the lyrics. I quite remember spending my youth street racing. Unforgettable.