Do you consider Springsteen's "Born to Run" to be one of the best songs in American classic rock?

Texas King

Do you consider Springsteen's "Born to Run" to be one of the best songs in American classic rock?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Springsteen's "Born to Run" to be one of the best songs in American classic rock?

Yes. How is this debatable? Born To Run is on the same level as Dream On, Come Sail Away, Free Falling, La Grange, etc. in the category of greatest American classic rock songs. You may not like it or love it, but its ubiquity and iconic status are undeniable.

:goodone:

Oddly, I don't care for 3/5 of those songs, and not because they're overplayed.

• Like 1

Yes. How is this debatable? Born To Run is on the same level as Dream On, Come Sail Away, Free Falling, La Grange, etc. in the category of greatest American classic rock songs. You may not like it or love it, but its ubiquity and iconic status are undeniable.

Personally, it's way above all those songs by a mountainous level.

Personally, it's way above all those songs by a mountainous level.

Oh that’s fine, you’re gonna prefer what you’re gonna prefer. My fav of the bunch is probably Come Sail Away by a decent margin. However, in terms of influence, historic notability, and legacy, I’d say they’re all in the same league.

• Like 1

By the way, "Thunder Road" is the best thing Springsteen has ever done.

For me, Born To Run and Jungleland top it...possibly...maybe...eek...I could be swayed to your reasoning!

Also the little known Thundercrack is amazing.

I find "Thunder Road" more organic and natural. I find "Born to Run" to be forced, in that the production tried too hard to make it greater. Notice, I said "greater". Also, "Thunder Road" is wonderfully visual. It's cinematic. The best thing Springsteen ever wrote.

• Like 3

It’s not even one of HIS best.

Agreed!

Where it succeeds most is in the fact that it is a rock and roll anthem.

The uncomplicated nature of the song adds to its charm.

Maybe not for everyone on a prog rock band fan site, but for yours truly, I still to this day turn up the radio when it comes on.

In fact, I just spun the Born to Run album and when that song came on, I still got goosebumps.

I mean, I literally got goosebumps.

And I've heard that song hundreds of times.

Old 97s call them fight songs.

This song reminds you that you've got what it takes.

• Like 2

It’s not even one of HIS best.

Agreed!

Where it succeeds most is in the fact that it is a rock and roll anthem.

The uncomplicated nature of the song adds to its charm.

Maybe not for everyone on a prog rock band fan site, but for yours truly, I still to this day turn up the radio when it comes on.

In fact, I just spun the Born to Run album and when that song came on, I still got goosebumps.

I mean, I literally got goosebumps.

And I've heard that song hundreds of times.

Old 97s call them fight songs.

This song reminds you that you've got what it takes.

I still turn it up too.

Great song.

The tune that kills me is down to the river

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the Boss so no.

The song is ok, but The Boss is a piece of shi----- moss. Ultra Liberal Jersey Devil.

He's lucky he formed a great band.

Bruce is garbage. He shouts when he sings.

Gives me a headache.

Can't stand the man. I love his band. It's just like the Dave Matthews Band. Dave is a piece of shit. But his band is incredible. Carter is a great drummer. Max Weinberg Rules too! Now I think his son is in the band? Good for him!

Give me "Born To Run" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood everyday!

Disclaimer: You DMB tits can get mad at my take but take a deep breath. I called Dave a "piece of shit" on purpose. You rushhead haters take my stuff so serious and hate me for it. But you don't get me at all. I live for the pun and underground black humor. If you recall, Dave's bus driver pulled over on a bridge in Chicago and dumped all the shite and piss over the side into the Chicago River. Now if I'm wrong and that was fake news then forgive me.

But if it's true. Dave Matthews can eat my hard corn kernel stinking poo!

He's scum.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Sprung from cages out on highway nine,

Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin' out over the line...

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

All you negative nannies need to shut up and DRIVE!

• Like 1

Meh. Couldn't care less about Springsteen haters.

I'd say his best song is between three: Drive All Night, Meeting Across The River/Jungleland (I always here these two as one epic song) or the little heard but fan favourite Thundercrack.

The song is ok, but The Boss is a piece of shi----- moss. Ultra Liberal Jersey Devil.

Gives me a headache.

Can't stand the man. I love his band. It's just like the Dave Matthews Band. Dave is a piece of shit. But his band is incredible. Carter is a great drummer. Max Weinberg Rules too! Now I think his son is in the band? Good for him!

Disclaimer: You DMB tits can get mad at my take but take a deep breath. I called Dave a "piece of shit" on purpose. You rushhead haters take my stuff so serious and hate me for it. But you don't get me at all. I live for the pun and underground black humor. If you recall, Dave's bus driver pulled over on a bridge in Chicago and dumped all the shite and piss over the side into the Chicago River. Now if I'm wrong and that was fake news then forgive me.

He's scum.

Earl I have to say THE BOSS is far better than shitty Genesis-wannabees Marillion so eat it! :P

• Like 3

Gives me a headache.

He's scum.

Earl I have to say THE BOSS is far better than shitty Genesis-wannabees Marillion so eat it! :P

I like Genesis wanna be ere Marillion. but shitty sleepy time Steve Hogarth era can blow me, lol :dweez:

Mick

Free Fallin"? Get outta here with that ok tune.
  • Like 1

Free Fallin"? Get outta here with that ok tune.

Free Fallin’*

My bad.

Gives me a headache.

He's scum.

Hahaha! You are my rock and roll brother.

I just wrote how I should have taken Genesis over Marillion instead and you write this post. LOL!

Give me ROSS THE BOSS instead you MANOWAR LOVER!

Hahaha! "EAT IT?"

"I Love Rocky Road" baby!

Signed,

Weird Earl Yankmeoff LOL

• Like 1