Rush Album miss-pressing information

Eric the half a Ram

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of a miss-pressing of a re-issued Rush album.

I got hold of the album in 1979 so it must be pre that.

Side 1 is as expected, but side 2 although labelled correctly is actually side 1 of 2112.

I'm kind of pleased it was, because that side of the album got me hooked, and I'm still listening to Rush 40 years later.

Sometimes wonder what would have happened if it hadn't been a miss-press, I like Rush as an album, but not as much as 2112.

Any help of info gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,,

Eric

• Like 3

Hi all,

Side 1 is as expected, but side 2 although labelled correctly is actually side 1 of 2112.

I'm kind of pleased it was, because that side of the album got me hooked, and I'm still listening to Rush 40 years later.

Sometimes wonder what would have happened if it hadn't been a miss-press, I like Rush as an album, but not as much as 2112.

Thanks in advance,,

Eric

Hang onto that one, it sounds collectible! You might want to pm ytserush; he has been listening to Rush for ages and knows lots about different editions and pressings. He is here pretty regularly but it's usually on the weekend so he may not see this.

The other place where there are a lot of people that know stuff is https://forums.stevehoffman.tv It says tv but there are many, many music discussions in there, someone there might know. On the home page, choose forums and look for "Music Corner".

Best of luck in your quest- let us know what you find out!

Edited by blueschica

Not a re-issue, but in 1978 I waited outside of the record store for over an hour before it opened to get my copy of Hemispheres. I got it home and put on side one and BAM.... What a revelation .... Couldn't wait to throw on side two. When I did, it wasn't Rush coming out of my Kenwood speakers....It was John Fogerty... Man, I was pissed. All the way back to the mall to exchange it for a proper pressing. I still have the good one, but I kinda wish I had kept the one with John Fogerty on side two. Dang... :|
  • Like 4

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,,

Eric

Hang onto that one, it sounds collectible! You might want to pm ytserush; he has been listening to Rush for ages and knows lots about different editions and pressings. He is here pretty regularly but it's usually on the weekend so he may not see this.

The other place where there are a lot of people that know stuff is https://forums.stevehoffman.tv It says tv but there are many, many music discussions in there, someone there might know. On the home page, choose forums and look for "Music Corner".

I'm not clear on this, you say "a Rush album". Do you mean it's the debut and when the needle dropped on Side 1, Finding My Way played as expected but when you played side 2, 2112 - Overture played? or is it 2112 with two Side 1's? Questions question questions - I'm intrigued.

Hi, it is the former! It is Rush, the first album, side 1 fine, side 2 is in fact side 1 from 2112!! Thanks, Eric

Ha! This is crazy! Do you still have it?

I'm a long time vinyl collector with an extensive collection and I literally was just looking this kind of stuff up because I have a copy of CSNY - Deja vu with two side one's!! (The music plays right it's just the stickers that are wrong)

Unfortunately, from what I've been reading these kind's of screw ups are just cool novelties and not actually worth anything. But don't quote me on that. It's all about who would be willing to pay for such an oddity and as we know there are some rabid Rush fans out there, lol!

Hi, it is the former! It is Rush, the first album, side 1 fine, side 2 is in fact side 1 from 2112!! Thanks, Eric

Ha! This is crazy! Do you still have it?

I'm a long time vinyl collector with an extensive collection and I literally was just looking this kind of stuff up because I have a copy of CSNY - Deja vu with two side one's!! (The music plays right it's just the stickers that are wrong)

Unfortunately, from what I've been reading these kind's of screw ups are just cool novelties and not actually worth anything. But don't quote me on that. It's all about who would be willing to pay for such an oddity and as we know there are some rabid Rush fans out there, lol!

Hi, yes I still have it.

Just want to know more about it, would seem odd if it was just one or a few copies, unless someone at the pressing plant had been upset, I would imagine it would be hard to contaminate a press run accidentally, would have thought they would have been batched!

Thanks,

Eric

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,,

Eric

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not exactly an expert in this area. There are several people on Hoffman that are more meticulous with wax matricies and masterings. Generally, these mispressings did happen, but I'm not sure if anyone has cataloged them. .

• Like 1

I do have a promo CD single from Test For Echo (Can't recall if it's the one or two track Test For Echo, Driven, Half The World Or Virtuality) that plays a Motown sampler instead. I don't think I have any vinyl. Generally, mispressings aren't an aspect of collecting that interest me.
  • Like 1

I do have a promo CD single from Test For Echo (Can't recall if it's the one or two track Test For Echo, Driven, Half The World Or Virtuality) that plays a Motown sampler instead. I don't think I have any vinyl. Generally, mispressings aren't an aspect of collecting that interest me.

Thank you for the info, ytse! You know so much about the Rush books that I think of you as the all knowing expert! ;) :hi:

• Like 1

That is super unique. Most screw ups are the label. I have some records with 2 side ones (Thin Lizzy Jailbreak) and a Rush single (TSOR) with no label on side 2, but to have a pressed record with Rush/2112 - that is much more of a cock up. Not sure if there's a way to find a discogs listing on how much that is worth but I would guess someone would $75-$100 for it. That is just speculation on my part.
  • Like 1

Sounds cool and the realization of the recognition of the difference must of been a wtf moment.

Hopefully you were stoned to the bone at the time.

I really have no idea but will say that a while back someone posted some 45 artwork from europe. Iirc there was a case of songs being from two different records which seemed strange. Who knows.

That is super unique. Most screw ups are the label. I have some records with 2 side ones (Thin Lizzy Jailbreak) and a Rush single (TSOR) with no label on side 2, but to have a pressed record with Rush/2112 - that is much more of a cock up. Not sure if there's a way to find a discogs listing on how much that is worth but I would guess someone would $75-$100 for it. That is just speculation on my part.

Certainly a mispress of the same band is more unique. Most of them occur with a different band.

A mislabelling that I would consider a holy grail is Alice Cooper's Easy Action. Originally it came out on Zappa's Straight Records with a pink label, which can be difficult enough to procure but a very few were issued on Zappa's other label Bizarre. Normally Straight was for Zappa's project bands (GTO's, Alice, Beefheart etc) and Bizarre was for FZ records, so Easy Action on Bizarre is a mistake. Word on the internet says only 10 copies exist. I don't know if that's true but would love to have one - no idea what I'd have to pay but I know I can't afford it.

A mislabelling that I would consider a holy grail is Alice Cooper's Easy Action. Originally it came out on Zappa's Straight Records with a pink label, which can be difficult enough to procure but a very few were issued on Zappa's other label Bizarre. Normally Straight was for Zappa's project bands (GTO's, Alice, Beefheart etc) and Bizarre was for FZ records, so Easy Action on Bizarre is a mistake. Word on the internet says only 10 copies exist. I don't know if that's true but would love to have one - no idea what I'd have to pay but I know I can't afford it.

At least there's a number attached to it. In many cases the number is a mystery.