OFFICIAL JAZZ THREAD

Texas King

I've listened Miles Davis albums Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew and John Coltrane's Love Supreme and all 3 albums are great and interesting stuff to me. I wanna listen to more jazz stuff.

I would say Kind of Blue is the ultimate jazz classic!

What jazz classics have you listened to? And what is your favorite among them?

• Like 2

I was a big Jazz fan in the nineties when I lived out in Utah and they were really good. I got to meet a few of the players when I would deliver to their houses or they would come to the club to my band was playing at. Karl Malone even bought one of my bandmates' Dodge dealerships.

What's with all of the music posts?

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

I've listened Miles Davis albums Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew and John Coltrane's Love Supreme and all 3 albums are great and interesting stuff to me. I wanna listen to more jazz stuff.

I would say Kind of Blue is the ultimate jazz classic!

What jazz classics have you listened to? And what is your favorite among them?

I like the birth of the cool by miles and kind of blue the best.

Bitches brew is gor me harder to digest. I got the 40th? Anniversary of bb with a live dvd of bitches brew.

• Like 1

Miles Davis is a great place to start as he covers so much territory.

I like most of his bop stuff, but the 60's quintet with Tony Williams was jaw-dropping at times.

(Check out "Nefertiti","Sorcerer", and/or "Miles Smiles")

Other good jazz to check out:

Dave Brubeck : Time Out, Time in Outer Space - lots of odd time signatures and great understated playing. Joe Morello is the definition of a musical drummer.

Dexter Gordon: Go! - good hard bop

Mingus: Ah-Um is pretty rockin'

Duke Ellington: Money Jungle - great trio with Max Roach and Mingus.

Coltrane: Blue Trane, First Meditations, Live at Birdland, Crescent

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Bill Evans early stuff

Early jazz is fun too. Louis Armstrong, early Ellington, Fats Waller - all great musicians.

Have fun listening!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/97/974bfe600daaa3f9606cbe42ea1e599b7c981d40a8a9e33f73c44057f9c382a9.jpg

• Like 3

Miles Davis is a great place to start as he covers so much territory.

I like most of his bop stuff, but the 60's quintet with Tony Williams was jaw-dropping at times.

(Check out "Nefertiti","Sorcerer", and/or "Miles Smiles")

Other good jazz to check out:

Dave Brubeck : Time Out, Time in Outer Space - lots of odd time signatures and great understated playing. Joe Morello is the definition of a musical drummer.

Dexter Gordon: Go! - good hard bop

Mingus: Ah-Um is pretty rockin'

Duke Ellington: Money Jungle - great trio with Max Roach and Mingus.

Coltrane: Blue Trane, First Meditations, Live at Birdland, Crescent

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Bill Evans early stuff

Early jazz is fun too. Louis Armstrong, early Ellington, Fats Waller - all great musicians.

Have fun listening!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/97/974bfe600daaa3f9606cbe42ea1e599b7c981d40a8a9e33f73c44057f9c382a9.jpg

I like the bop stuff too, but I really enjoy his work from the 60's and beyond.

• Like 1

70s Miles in a very meditative mood due to the death of Duke Ellington:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QStHqvwAOo

Fun fact: the production and sense of space of this song impressed the pants off of a young(ish) Brian Eno, and was an inspiration for his ambient work.

Davis plays a lot of organ on this one.

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 2

My top four Miles Davis albums...

Miles-Davis-Classic-Quintet-Prestige.png?resize=720%2C717&ssl=1

I was pulled out "Steamin" for a listen last night. It's generally not my favorite period but like King Crimson, I'm learning to appreciate all eras. I really like the timbre and resonance of that record. Don't know if it's just a lost art or nobody cares any more due to convenience of low resolution, but they don't record them like that anymore.

• Like 1

This one was my gateway drug into the weird and wild world of free jazz.

Love how the dirge-like theme floats over the urgent double-time swing. Also love how the drummer has turned his snare off and seems to be playing with a mallet in his left hand. Adds to the mystery. Great bass playing too.

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqrLqD0VEKY

Love how the dirge-like theme floats over the urgent double-time swing. Also love how the drummer has turned his snare off and seems to be playing with a mallet in his left hand. Adds to the mystery. Great bass playing too.

Discovered Ornette Coleman through John Zorn. I've always considered Zorn and King Crimson to be the center of the universe.

• Like 2

Discovered Ornette Coleman through John Zorn. I've always considered Zorn and King Crimson to be the center of the universe.

Didja ever get into this guy?

Dave Holland is a monster bassist.

• Like 1

Didja ever get into this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYeHiHUFV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0F3Uqmgt-k

Dave Holland is a monster bassist.

Braxton no. Holland yes.

• Like 1

I like a good deal of fusion stuff, but my favorite style and era of jazz overall is hard bop- the East Coast, mainly Blue Note stuff from the mid ‘50s up through about 1967.

My very first jazz listening, when I was about 18-19 years old, was Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, and John Coltrane. But when I discovered Art Blakey and all of the tremendous players who held stints in the Jazz Messengers over the years, that was it, man...I love love love Lee Morgan, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Blue Mitchell...so many tremendous musicans.

As far as the fusion stuff is concerned, do yourself a favor and check out the album Emergency, by Tony Williams Lifetime. So heavy it will blow your mind! And Tony Williams is one of the most brilliant drummers who ever lived.

• Like 3

I like a good deal of fusion stuff, but my favorite style and era of jazz overall is hard bop- the East Coast, mainly Blue Note stuff from the mid ‘50s up through about 1967.

My very first jazz listening, when I was about 18-19 years old, was Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, and John Coltrane. But when I discovered Art Blakey and all of the tremendous players who held stints in the Jazz Messengers over the years, that was it, man...I love love love Lee Morgan, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Blue Mitchell...so many tremendous musicans.

As far as the fusion stuff is concerned, do yourself a favor and check out the album Emergency, by Tony Williams Lifetime. So heavy it will blow your mind! And Tony Williams is one of the most brilliant drummers who ever lived.

Emergency! is definitely a favorite. Believe It is up there too. That guy recorded some great music at a young age.

It's really amazing to me the talent that past through Miles, Coltrane, Mingus..... Guys like that didn't have a monopoly on talent, but it's always a good place to start.

• Like 1