The Mute Gods feat. Alex Lifeson!

greyfriar

Alex plays a solo on the new Mute Gods album Atheists and Believers.

Great song, fantastic (goosebumps) solo! Looks like the Hentor Sportscaster is back again?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oO4PQDemQE

• Like 1

Just realised that he plays, not only the solo but the whole song! WOW!!

This just gets better with every listen.

• Like 1

Song is OK, not anything special. Alex sounds great.

More than that! His contribution to the song is just brilliant.

He plays a very heavy riff there and the acoustic parts are typical Alex. Not to mention the dreamy solo!

Great to hear from him. I love that song!!

• Like 1

I'm pleased for you that you like this so much, but I have to say it left me a little underwhelmed. I wouldn't know that this was Alex unless I was told (but maybe that's my tin ear) and it isn't my kind of song.
  • Like 1

Lifeson’s performance on John Mayall’s track Evil and Here To Stay is really good. He’s kind of out of his comfort zone but plays and sounds totally at home.

This track Mute Gods is good too, nice Lifeson 12 string at the beginning.

Nick Beggs:

Lifeson sent in a 12-string acoustic part, originally composed for the song’s outro section. But it prompted Beggs to overhaul the whole track.

“I liked what he did so much that I re-edited the whole track and put the outro as the intro, just broke everything down. So now the whole thing starts with me singing with his acoustic guitar. It was just a gift.”

• Like 2

I was skeptical going in as much of the stuff Alex has done as a guest musician is "meh", not Alex's parts necessarily, but the music itself ... usually because the artists he guests for are generally sub-par imo. I was pleasantly surprised here... I like the song, the blend of the vocals and the chord structure... Alex's solo is super-simple and very emotional (I get the feeling he was probably told to keep it simple). Overall, I like the song better than most of what is passed of as music these days.
  • Like 1

I was skeptical going in as much of the stuff Alex has done as a guest musician is "meh", not Alex's parts necessarily, but the music itself ... usually because the artists he guests for are generally sub-par imo. I was pleasantly surprised here... I like the song, the blend of the vocals and the chord structure... Alex's solo is super-simple and very emotional (I get the feeling he was probably told to keep it simple). Overall, I like the song better than most of what is passed of as music these days.

I hope you don’t think Porcupine Tree’s Anesthetise is sub par.

• Like 4

At first listen the song's a bit monotone in general to me but there's a little bit of Alex Lifeson of Rush in that, as opposed to the gifted but fairly anonymous player he sounds like in some of his guest appearances. So, good stuff. Cmon Al let's have another solo album

Edit: At second listen is still a bit monotone but definitely not as much :)

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

I think the song is mediocre and it is far too long to be so repetitive...it definitely needed more riffs in there to make it more interesting.

Lifesons playing is pleasant enough and i like the "slow gear" effect to mimic slide\violin.

Nothing startling though, and I'm already starting to forget most of it.

• Like 1

I remember when Alex got into a fist fight with the police. Now that's something to remember.

Really..? Why?

I like fist fighting!

the chicks like a good fist fighter

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Great to hear some Lerxst again. We all need that. But, don't plan on listening to this again.
  • Like 1

Just realised that he plays, not only the solo but the whole song! WOW!!

This just gets better with every listen.

He does?? I thought it was just the acoustic intro.

I read in an interview with the band that he did all the guitar parts of the song. :huh:

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1

:wtf:

I'm totally confused now. First I read that Alex did all the guitar parts. Then I read in a German magazine that he only did the acoustic pieces. By a closer look at the video, I'm pretty sure now that it's Roger King doing the guitar parts. Has anyone more info on this?

If it's really only the acoustic part that he did, I apologise for creating confusion! :banghead:

• Like 1

I thought the song was repetitive and annoying, but I am still intrigued by them. Whats a good album to start?

I thought the song was repetitive and annoying, but I am still intrigued by them. Whats a good album to start?

Segue, they only have three albums out so far. I think they're all good but for now, I like the second one the most. It's called Tardigrades Will Inherit The Earth.

I hope you don’t think Porcupine Tree’s Anesthetise is sub par.

The operative word for the day is..... "Usually"..... PT/SW --- In my top 5 of all time. Saw SW last year in San Francisco... Wow!
  • Like 1