Jump to content


My Favourite Headache


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84684 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have both.

I took to My Favorite Headache straightaway. I love "Home On The Strange". I wouldn't skip any of the tracks.

Alex Lifeson's Victor took a little getting used to, but the tracks are good, and I love "Shut Up Shuttin' Up".
I will have both in the next week or so. Great to have some new Geddy and Alex even if the music is twenty years old!
P.S Your cat timeline is touching and sad. I would have five on mine, from 1999. Have two three year-olds at the moment but will add more!

The cat timeline is touching and sad, but they're not mine; they were the cats of the members here, and the members allowed me to commemorate their feline's memories in my virtual garden, whereupon they play among the flowers and the trees.
Is it possible to add Cosmo, 31st July 2001 to 16th March 2016? We still miss him everyday.
Course I can.  :)

Sponsored Post

#22 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 784 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, TV, art/art history, US politics, football (soccer) and most sports, reading non-fiction, rock music, not going out, cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have both.

I took to My Favorite Headache straightaway. I love "Home On The Strange". I wouldn't skip any of the tracks.

Alex Lifeson's Victor took a little getting used to, but the tracks are good, and I love "Shut Up Shuttin' Up".
I will have both in the next week or so. Great to have some new Geddy and Alex even if the music is twenty years old!
P.S Your cat timeline is touching and sad. I would have five on mine, from 1999. Have two three year-olds at the moment but will add more!

The cat timeline is touching and sad, but they're not mine; they were the cats of the members here, and the members allowed me to commemorate their feline's memories in my virtual garden, whereupon they play among the flowers and the trees.
Is it possible to add Cosmo, 31st July 2001 to 16th March 2016? We still miss him everyday.
Course I can.  :)
Thank you so much! He deserves his place :notworthy:

#23 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84684 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 March 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 23 March 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have both.

I took to My Favorite Headache straightaway. I love "Home On The Strange". I wouldn't skip any of the tracks.

Alex Lifeson's Victor took a little getting used to, but the tracks are good, and I love "Shut Up Shuttin' Up".
I will have both in the next week or so. Great to have some new Geddy and Alex even if the music is twenty years old!
P.S Your cat timeline is touching and sad. I would have five on mine, from 1999. Have two three year-olds at the moment but will add more!

The cat timeline is touching and sad, but they're not mine; they were the cats of the members here, and the members allowed me to commemorate their feline's memories in my virtual garden, whereupon they play among the flowers and the trees.
Is it possible to add Cosmo, 31st July 2001 to 16th March 2016? We still miss him everyday.
Course I can.  :)
Thank you so much! He deserves his place :notworthy:
I'll be happy to take care of him.  :)

#24 tks95747

tks95747

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roseville, CALIFORNIA
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

I don't like it at all... No chemistry...

#25 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 784 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, TV, art/art history, US politics, football (soccer) and most sports, reading non-fiction, rock music, not going out, cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

View Posttks95747, on 24 March 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

I don't like it at all... No chemistry...
Solo records run that risk, losing the edge that exists in their real band. Same way that some supergroups don't work - no "elemental telepathy". Hope you're wrong though!

#26 tks95747

tks95747

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 510 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roseville, CALIFORNIA
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 24 March 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

View Posttks95747, on 24 March 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

I don't like it at all... No chemistry...
Solo records run that risk, losing the edge that exists in their real band. Same way that some supergroups don't work - no "elemental telepathy". Hope you're wrong though!
It is only my opinion...There are lots that like it.. I respect their opinions. You are spot on with the supergroup comment...

#27 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10626 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

I quite like it.  Naturally I prefer a full on Rush album, but the songs are there and it's quite enjoyable to me.

#28 Alexmai

Alexmai

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 542 posts
  • Location:Rome, Italy
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:37 AM

A very good album, too bad he doesn't tour around it... a Ged solo tour with this and an handful of Rush songs...

#29 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7428 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:50 AM

I like the title track. The rest is kind of dull.

#30 davidatdi

davidatdi

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East Kilbride

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:31 AM

Hate to bump an old thread but when I was at cinema Strangiato I recall seeing an advert for My Favourite Headache release on vinyl, however I can't find any info about it online. Anyone seen anything??

#31 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9897 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:16 AM

View Postdavidatdi, on 01 September 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

Hate to bump an old thread but when I was at cinema Strangiato I recall seeing an advert for My Favourite Headache release on vinyl, however I can't find any info about it online. Anyone seen anything??

I saw that too, and was really surprised. I've grown to love this album, and one thing that always catches my attention while listening to it is how "tense" the melodies in the songs are. Maybe subconsciously it reflects Geddy's uncertainty of the future at the time.

Fun about the album: at the Grapes Under Pressure event last year, Geddy was going through the tables after lunch and stopped at the one I was sitting. I asked him if there would be a sequel to it, he said he wasn't sure. I told him I loved the album and he said "bless your heart" and hugged me. Intense!!!

#32 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 540 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

View PostIbanezJem, on 21 March 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

What's the consensus on Geddy's solo effort? I've just ordered it from Amazon, and wonder whether I should be enthusiastically looking forward to it - or really anxious that two massively comforting presences are not sitting alongside that voice and that bass. Will I miss Neil's lyrics? How high should I set my expectations?

I can get through it on a couple regular strength Excedrin so I guess it's not too bad.

Where's my hug, Geddy? :P

#33 canadianice

canadianice

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3703 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

Grace to Grace is really cool tune. Overall a solid album.

#34 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1375 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:02 AM

Beautifully composed album from start to finish, only lacks a bit of hard edge to it at times but not sure if that a bad thing in this case

Reminds me a bit like We Can't Dance the last studio album with phil collins that Genesis did, beautifully crafted mature albumsuperb stuff but almost too smooth and lacking that little bit edge to it

#35 jnoble

jnoble

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:35 AM

I liked the title track but everything else bored me to tears. Its been a drink coaster for many years now in my place lol

#36 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1616 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

The roots of Geddy doing a future solo project with Ben Mink go as far back to 1997 during the 'Test For Echo' tour during a stop in Vancouver according to an interview read.

#37 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4827 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

Still listen to this album more than many Rush albums. Maybe it's because none of the songs have  ever been played live before.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users