Which TRFers got you into which artists?

That One Guy

As a music forum, we talk music. Many of us have introduced other TRFers to artists, and been introduced to ones that end up becoming our own favorites! Feel free to credit your influencers here! For me,

bean-tor - Beck, Judas Priest; Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Day Of Light - KMFDM, Arcade Fire, Garbage

Union 5-3992 - David Bowie, Devin Townsend, Porcupine Tree, Queens of the Stone Age, Steven Wilson (and probably more <3 )

Permanent-Rush - Cheap Trick

Probably more. TRF Chat (thanks for keeping that dead, 73) was a great place to discuss and simultaneously listen to music, and I know additional forgotten souls there directed me to good music!

Edited by That One Guy

treeduck got me into Hemispheres (I had never heard the album when I first joined)

TOG got me into Stone Temple Pilots, Eazy-E, and Beck, and Primus

Mick got me into Tom Waits, Elton John, 90s Paul McCartney, and Prince

Gotta give PolarizeMe credit for getting me into ISIS (lol), Pelican, Katatonia, and Opeth

And Mr. Not is responsible for me finally liking Radiohead.

• Like 2

It's a good thread idea but it makes me feel lame for not being more active in MOTS and spending more of my spare time getting into new artists, like I said I've been meaning to do again for years.

Back int the day TJ got me into Kate Bush, Porcupine Tree, Caravan, Yes, and more. RushGoober's radio show inspired me to look into all sorts of weird obscure oldies.

Mick got me into Gentle Giant and also showed me a few songs I like (In Every Dream a Heartache comes to mind)

ghostworks often shares some cooler more obscure shiet - check out Underworld and Neil Finn's

HomesickAlien and PolarizeMe have gotten me into too many bands to list, so I'll just do two ea

--HA: Radiohead and Karnivool

--PM: DEG and every Aaron Turner project

to be continued...

treeduck got me into Hemispheres (I had never heard the album when I first joined)

TOG got me into Stone Temple Pilots, Eazy-E, and Beck, and Primus

Mick got me into Tom Waits, Elton John, 90s Paul McCartney, and Prince

Gotta give PolarizeMe credit for getting me into ISIS (lol), Pelican, Katatonia, and Opeth

And Mr. Not is responsible for me finally liking Radiohead.

Hemispheres? I can't remember that. :huh:

ReGor (Cat3) turned me onto Kings X

Various members introduced me to Styx and Kansas (didn't like either straight away)

J2112YZ (never get it right!) introduced me to Savatage and reminded me of a lot kf bands I used to enjoy, but had forgotten of (plus I think he was the one who reminded me of Nevermore and that was wonderful).

Mick guided me through Dream Theater and many other bands I either had casual interest in or strongly disliked (I've done likewise for him too).

Mr. Not (I think) was there when I got into Sonata Arctica and he really helped me get into them through a lot of spirited discussion!

Narps got me enthusiastic for Yes and that was a real fun musical journey.

Treeduck has been a fun source of wisdom in regards to metal. Can't think of any bands he introduced to me, but his enthusiasm got me to try a lot of metal bands I knew of but didn't know (Judas Priest and Megadeth come to mind).

Love this forum!

• Like 3

J2112YZ (never get it right!) introduced me to Savatage and reminded me of a lot kf bands I used to enjoy, but had forgotten of (plus I think he was the one who reminded me of Nevermore and that was wonderful).

Kf bands?

Yes, I was the one who reminded you of Nevermore. I'm the only one who does that since nobody knows who they are lol.

I would say that you definitely made me a fan of Swallow The Sun, Oceans Of Slumber and Tribulation. There's plenty of other bands we like that our discussions of help to continue my love for them or reignite it.

Treeduck and The Cat got me to give Thin Lizzy as serious listen last year and I finally came to appreciate how good the band was and the influence they had on hard rock and metal.

I also got into Haken because of this forum. I'm sure there's more. For some reason The Cat's recent Billy Idol marathon has got me interested in what he sounds like beyond the hits.

The best musical discussions I've had have been on this forum in the nine years (I think) that I have been here.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Kf bands?

Yes, I was the one who reminded you of Nevermore. I'm the only one who does that since nobody knows who they are lol.

I would say that you definitely made me a fan of Swallow The Sun, Oceans Of Slumber and Tribulation. There's plenty of other bands we like that our discussions of help to continue my love for them or reignite it.

Treeduck and The Cat got me to give Thin Lizzy as serious listen last year and I finally came to appreciate how good the band was and the influence they had on hard rock and metal.

I also got into Haken because of this forum. I'm sure there's more. For some reason The Cat's recent Billy Idol marathon has got me interested in what he sounds like beyond the hits.

The best musical discussions I've had have been on this forum in the nine years (I think) that I have been here.

I love our chats because we have similar metal tastes which is nice as much of what we enjoy is hardly Rush like!

treeduck got me into Marie Osmond

wait a minute, that doesn't sound right....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/21/article-2265807-1710276B000005DC-906_634x406.jpg

Only the best cover of Like a Virgin EVAR!

• Like 2

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/21/article-2265807-1710276B000005DC-906_634x406.jpg

4341be4a124de5909971b9e278ac2c93--donny-osmond-marie-osmond.jpg

• Like 2

Countdown to post 88888

3!

• Like 1

Countdown to post 88888

3!

article-2265807-17118402000005DC-59_634x961.jpg