Jump to content


Which TRFers got you into which artists?

music JohnRogers Miata influence

  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 That One Guy

That One Guy

    Straight Outta Sunnyvale

  • Members *
  • 29366 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Hiking, guitar, camping, recreational driving, reading, companionship, travel, the occasional videogame

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

As a music forum, we talk music. Many of us have introduced other TRFers to artists, and been introduced to ones that end up becoming our own favorites! Feel free to credit your influencers here! For me,


bean-tor - Beck, Judas Priest; Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Day Of Light - KMFDM, Arcade Fire, Garbage
Union 5-3992 - David Bowie, Devin Townsend, Porcupine Tree, Queens of the Stone Age, Steven Wilson (and probably more <3 )
Permanent-Rush - Cheap Trick


Probably more. TRF Chat (thanks for keeping that dead, 73) was a great place to discuss and simultaneously listen to music, and I know additional forgotten souls there directed me to good music!

Edited by That One Guy, 20 March 2019 - 09:21 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 Day of Light

Day of Light

    Too Much Information

  • Members *
  • 13704 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:education, practical philosophy, veganism, feminism, aesthetics, the arts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

TOG got me into Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, and Steven Wilson. :)

#3 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

I got myself into classical music in 1715 and the rest is history. I didn't get into jazz until 1932 too though, so I'm a bit of a latecomer there.

#4 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 23359 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Bradford PA)

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:51 PM

treeduck got me into Hemispheres (I had never heard the album when I first joined)

TOG got me into Stone Temple Pilots, Eazy-E, and Beck, and Primus

Mick got me into Tom Waits, Elton John, 90s Paul McCartney, and Prince

Gotta give PolarizeMe credit for getting me into ISIS (lol), Pelican, Katatonia, and Opeth

And Mr. Not is responsible for me finally liking Radiohead.

#5 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 23359 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Bradford PA)

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

View PostThat One Guy, on 20 March 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

Union 5-3992 - David Bowie, Devin Townsend, Porcupine Tree, Queens of the Stone Age, Steven Wilson (and probably more <3 )
<3

#6 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 102065 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Numbers & Codes!

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

It's a good thread idea but it makes me feel lame for not being more active in MOTS and spending more of my spare time getting into new artists, like I said I've been meaning to do again for years.

Back int the day TJ got me into Kate Bush, Porcupine Tree, Caravan, Yes, and more. RushGoober's radio show inspired me to look into all sorts of weird obscure oldies.
Mick got me into Gentle Giant and also showed me a few songs I like (In Every Dream a Heartache comes to mind)
ghostworks often shares some cooler more obscure shiet - check out Underworld and Neil Finn's solo project
HomesickAlien and PolarizeMe have gotten me into too many bands to list, so I'll just do two ea
--HA: Radiohead and Karnivool
--PM: DEG and every Aaron Turner project

to be continued...

#7 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

Someone or someone(s) got me into Iron Maiden, although I don't remember who ??!!   Probably Rod ??  Excellent find, though!

#8 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:13 AM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 20 March 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

treeduck got me into Hemispheres (I had never heard the album when I first joined)

TOG got me into Stone Temple Pilots, Eazy-E, and Beck, and Primus

Mick got me into Tom Waits, Elton John, 90s Paul McCartney, and Prince

Gotta give PolarizeMe credit for getting me into ISIS (lol), Pelican, Katatonia, and Opeth

And Mr. Not is responsible for me finally liking Radiohead.
Hemispheres? I can't remember that. :huh:

#9 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 21120 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:53rd & 3rd

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:13 AM

Lucas got me into The Dead Boys.

Great punk band from the Midwest who were around the CBGBs scene in the 1970s.

#10 edhunter

edhunter

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4104 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:18 AM

Lets see, there was.................








































nothing.

#11 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

ReGor (Cat3) turned me onto Kings X

Various members introduced me to Styx and Kansas (didn't like either straight away)

J2112YZ (never get it right!) introduced me to Savatage and reminded me of a lot kf bands I used to enjoy, but had forgotten of (plus I think he was the one who reminded me of Nevermore and that was wonderful).

Mick guided me through Dream Theater and many other bands I either had casual interest in or strongly disliked (I've done likewise for him too).

Mr. Not (I think) was there when I got into Sonata Arctica and he really helped me get into them through a lot of spirited discussion!

Narps got me enthusiastic for Yes and that was a real fun musical journey.

Treeduck has been a fun source of wisdom in regards to metal. Can't think of any bands he introduced to me, but his enthusiasm got me to try a lot of metal bands I knew of but didn't know (Judas Priest and Megadeth come to mind).

Love this forum!

#12 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 21723 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

I don’t remember any TRFers but this board got me into Mastodon in 2014.

#13 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 79344 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

treeduck got me into Marie Osmond


wait a minute, that doesn't sound right....

#14 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12474 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 21 March 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:





J2112YZ (never get it right!) introduced me to Savatage and reminded me of a lot kf bands I used to enjoy, but had forgotten of (plus I think he was the one who reminded me of Nevermore and that was wonderful).


Kf bands?

Yes, I was the one who reminded you of Nevermore. I'm the only one who does that since nobody knows who they are lol.

I would say that you definitely made me a fan of Swallow The Sun, Oceans Of Slumber and Tribulation. There's plenty of other bands we like that our discussions of help to continue my love for them or reignite it.

Treeduck and The Cat got me to give Thin Lizzy as serious listen last year and I finally came to appreciate how good the band was and the influence they had on hard rock and metal.

I also got into Haken because of this forum. I'm sure there's more. For some reason The Cat's recent Billy Idol marathon has got me interested in what he sounds like beyond the hits.

The best musical discussions I've had have been on this forum in the nine years (I think) that I have been here.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 21 March 2019 - 02:23 PM.


#15 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 8035 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

treeduck introduced me to Ghost & Havok.

greyfriar introduced me to Anna von Hauswolff.

All three excellent recommendations for which I am grateful.

#16 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 21 March 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 21 March 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:





J2112YZ (never get it right!) introduced me to Savatage and reminded me of a lot kf bands I used to enjoy, but had forgotten of (plus I think he was the one who reminded me of Nevermore and that was wonderful).


Kf bands?

Yes, I was the one who reminded you of Nevermore. I'm the only one who does that since nobody knows who they are lol.

I would say that you definitely made me a fan of Swallow The Sun, Oceans Of Slumber and Tribulation. There's plenty of other bands we like that our discussions of help to continue my love for them or reignite it.

Treeduck and The Cat got me to give Thin Lizzy as serious listen last year and I finally came to appreciate how good the band was and the influence they had on hard rock and metal.

I also got into Haken because of this forum. I'm sure there's more. For some reason The Cat's recent Billy Idol marathon has got me interested in what he sounds like beyond the hits.

The best musical discussions I've had have been on this forum in the nine years (I think) that I have been here.

I love our chats because we have similar metal tastes which is nice as much of what we enjoy is hardly Rush like!

#17 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 68001 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

Various TRFers got me into Steven Wilson/PorcTree, Yes, Collins-era Genesis, Ghost/Magna Carta Cartel/Subvision, Oasis, Beck...

#18 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 21120 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:53rd & 3rd

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

Treeduck introduced me to Rush.

He's right, they're pretty good.

Thanks Sir Duck.

:)

#19 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89881 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 21 March 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

treeduck got me into Marie Osmond


wait a minute, that doesn't sound right....
Posted Image

#20 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 79344 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 23 March 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 21 March 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

treeduck got me into Marie Osmond


wait a minute, that doesn't sound right....
Posted Image
Only the best cover of Like a Virgin EVAR!





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, JohnRogers, Miata, influence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users