Red Barchetta or The Trees?

Texas King

Red Barchetta or The Trees?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Red Barchetta or The Trees?

Love the Trees, even with Peart's dissembling about the lyrics. But Barchetta is a top 5er.
  • Like 1

I still don’t understand The Trees - we had a good battle about it on CP.

I think it’s a beautifully arranged catastrophe of a song - mixed metaphors and so on.

“The oaks can’t help their feelings if they like the way they’re made.” Huh? More weed please.

Barchetta is successful though - Peart was honing his skills as a storyteller and songwriter - and the song is well executed scifi escapism. The song is also driving and rocking with a fantastic, exciting middle section- there is not much better in Rush’s catalog than that part right after the solo...

Suddenly ahead of me

Across the mountainside

A gleaming alloy air car

Shoots towards me, two lanes wide

I spin around with shrieking tires

To run the deadly race

Go screaming through the valley

As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind

Straining the limits of machine and man

Laughing out loud with fear and hope

I've got a desperate plan

At the one-lane bridge

I leave the giants stranded at the riverside

Race back to the farm

To dream with my uncle at the fireside

This type of excitement can only be generated by a finely tuned rock and roll band. So much energy in the interplay- not to mention great dynamics.

It’s perfect.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Would have said Trees a while back, but Red Barchetta is the kind of song that whenever you hear it, you realise you're in the presence of greatness. Like I still stop and really listen every time, and think everything about the song is mindblowing. Tough comparison though, other than the story element of both songs - pastoral allegory vs. car chase!
  • Like 1

Would have said Trees a while back, but Red Barchetta is the kind of song that whenever you hear it, you realise you're in the presence of greatness. Like I still stop and really listen every time, and think everything about the song is mindblowing. Tough comparison though, other than the story element of both songs - pastoral allegory vs. car chase!

I never ever skip over Barchetta.

• Like 1

This one is easy. I've never liked The Trees very much (although my parrot loves it!). I didn't like Red Barchetta from the album version, but I became a fan of it after seeing it live several times. It's one of my favourites now, but only live versions. To me, the studio version lacks the sense of excitement that makes live versions so evocative. That and the bass noodling at the end.
  • Like 1

This one is easy. I've never liked The Trees very much (although my parrot loves it!). I didn't like Red Barchetta from the album version, but I became a fan of it after seeing it live several times. It's one of my favourites now, but only live versions. To me, the studio version lacks the sense of excitement that makes live versions so evocative. That and the bass noodling at the end.

I'm going to look for my favorite on youtube, if it's there, and put it here. It's the one that's on a boot on the hard drive - when Alex breaks his guitar string and Geddy gets so flustered he messes up the lyrics and then curses. :LOL:

Does your parrot sing to it or just dances? I love parrots. What kind do you have? You ought to catch your parrot in the act one day and make a video and post it here.

Edited by Lorraine

Late to the game but for me it has to be 'The Trees'. But Red Barchetta is a fine fine song also.