Best wishes for Alex Trebek.

KenJennings

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alex-trebek-cancer-video-jeopardy-host-announces-he-has-stage-4-pancreatic-cancer-says-im-going-to-fight-this-2019-03-06/

"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announced Wednesday he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. "Now normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I'm going to fight this, and I'm going to keep working," he said in a video published to his YouTube channel.

Trebek, 78, said he was aware of the low survival rates, but he said in a lighter tone that he still has three years left on his contract.

"And with the love and support of my family and friends and with the help of your prayers also, I plan to beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease," Trebek said. "So help me. Keep the faith and we'll win. We'll get it done. Thank you."

Pancreatic cancer is the the third leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States, killing more people than breast cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. Rates are rising faster than any other cancer in the country.

One of the reasons pancreatic cancer is so deadly is that no early screening test — nothing like the mammogram for catching breast cancer or the colonoscopy or stool test or detecting colon cancer. And there is no cure. The very nature of it makes it difficult to study, say experts.

Pancreatic cancer researcher Dr. Sunil Hingorani told CBS News in 2017 that the disease is "highly and also rapidly lethal."

The speed at which the disease spreads also makes it difficult to find and retain patients for clinical trials and other studies that would help researchers learn more about the disease.

"It's very traumatizing, of course, to the patient, but also to their families. There's little time to absorb the diagnosis before a patient ends up succumbing to the disease," said Hingorani, a faculty member at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle and professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

"With pancreatic cancer, it's a little bit of a Catch-22. That also is part of its challenge for clinicians and scientists who study it. It's been relatively understudied and underfunded because of this sense of futility," he said.

For now, he said, "Hope and optimism are the most you can offer a patient."

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

This news has me really bummed. I've never met Alex, but he's a guest in my home nearly every afternoon when I get home from work.

Hoping he defies the odds and sticks around a good long while.

I heard this...horrible news. Watch the show religiously, and cant imagine it without him.

(I actually kind of have memories of Art Fleming, but not anything close to vivid.)

• Like 1

This news has me really bummed. I've never met Alex, but he's a guest in my home nearly every afternoon when I get home from work.

He seems like a genuine class act.

• Like 1

Positive Energies and Best Wishes to Alex Trebek! :sundog: :sundog: :sundog:
  • Like 1

He seems like a genuine class act.

I think he is! I got to meet him for a second when a friend was on Jeopardy years ago and my husband and I were in the studio audience. He couldn't have been nicer to the audience and was supportive of the players. He signed a photo for a neighbor of ours, a girl with an eye disease; and sent autographed photos for our kids later on. I'm hoping he can pull through this; he's a classic. :heart:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I hope, and wish that Alex, will conquer Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer to get cured from it. "Get well".
  • Like 1

I remember the show since it started in 1964, when it was hosted by Arthur Flemming Fazzin [Art Flemming]. My Mother, [a Mensa member] was always looking for SMARTS shows as well as the stupid soap operas that were so prevalent on TV in the afternoons.

ZbM0uko.png

• Like 2