Early Synth-era battle: Signals vs Grace Under Pressure

treeduck

Early synth-era battle  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer, Signals or Grace Under Pressure?

• Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure

For me it's Signals.

Back in 1982-83 though it took me months to get into it.

Same here. That changed fast after I saw them on the Signals New World Tour. Brilliant album and tour!

It took me even longer to get into GUP. I remember when my mate and I first heard it, he jumped out of his seat as soon as he heard... I see red... he screamed... Me too! This is shite! A few months later he begged for a copy on cassette. :LOL:

For me it's Signals.

Same here. That changed fast after I saw them on the Signals New World Tour. Brilliant album and tour!

It took me even longer to get into GUP. I remember when my mate and I first heard it, he jumped out of his seat as soon as he heard... I see red... he screamed... Me too! This is shite! A few months later he begged for a copy on cassette. :LOL:

I was into the Signals by the time I saw the tour, it was about 8 months later I think.

I remember buying Grace Under Pressure and looking at the artwork and band picture and thinking that it didn't seem like a real RUSH album. I still have a little bit of that feeling left over even after all this time.

• Like 1

For me it's Signals.

I was into the Signals by the time I saw the tour, it was about 8 months later I think.

I remember buying Grace Under Pressure and looking at the artwork and band picture and thinking that it didn't seem like a real RUSH album. I still have a little bit of that feeling left over even after all this time.

I already had Signals at the time, but I was more into MP and Exit...

Yeah, that GUP photo was a shocker back then. I remember the reaction when we first saw that NWOCHM picture.

I can still hear the echo of our laughter in my mind.

For me it's Signals.

Yeah, that GUP photo was a shocker back then. I remember the reaction when we first saw that NWOCHM picture.

Yeah the jacket and the haircuts, they look like Duran Duran working as road sweepers!

• Like 1

For me it's Signals.

Yeah the jacket and the haircuts, they look like Duran Duran working as road sweepers!

LOL. Great equation.

Kimono and handlebar days were definitely over. :LOL:

• Like 1

For me it's Signals.

LOL. Great equation.

Yeah WELL over! :LOL:

In 8 years it was like a completely different band, musically and in terms of appearance.

For me it's Signals.

LOL. Great equation.

In 8 years it was like a completely different band, musically and in terms of appearance.

8 years? More like 4 years to me. Listen to Permanent Waves and GUP back to back!

Edited by greyfriar

For me it's Signals.

LOL. Great equation.

8 years? More like 4 years to me. Listen to Permanent Waves and GUP back to back!

Well you mentioned the Kimonos and handlebar moustache, that's 1976, they were already gone by 1980.

• Like 1

For me it's Signals.

LOL. Great equation.

Well you mentioned the Kimonos and handlebar moustache, that's 1976, they were already gone by 1980.

Sure, I know that those days were long gone by 1980. What I would try to say is, that the musical change that took place, in the period from 1980 to 1984, was the most f***in' radical. PW and GUP within' four years!!!!

Edited by greyfriar

For me it's Signals.

LOL. Great equation.

Sure, I know that those days were long gone by 1980. What I would try to say is, that the musical change that took place, in the period from 1980 to 1984, was the most f***in' radical. PW and GUP within' four years!!!!

I dunno I think there's a pretty big difference between Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. The Spirit of Radio and Freewill sound totally different to Hemispheres and La Villa and The Trees.

Both of these albums leave me cold, apart from the stuff I first heard on Chronicles (Subdivisions, New World Man, Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A). I'm warming to them, though. My last spin through Grace Under Pressure I found myself particularly enjoying "The Body Electric," which I remember not being a fan of when I first got the album in the early to mid nineties. I actually gave it away to a friend of mine (along with the first three Rush albums) when I was deciding that all the Rush worth owning was on Chronicles, AFTK and MP. That was about twenty-five years ago. I have since learned the error of my ways and have built my Rush collection back up. Still have yet to replace the first three albums, however. But I will eventually.

Just like with "Permanent Waves", and "Moving Pictures", I think, and have felt that both c.ds, and albums are equal, and shouldn't have to be comparing them. Edited by Derek19

Signals, by some distance, I think. Subdivisions, The Weapon, Chemistry, The Analog Kid, Digital Man are great songs. When I listen to Grace I always wonder why I didn't listen to one of earlier albums instead. I keep trying because I figure it'll work for me one day.