The 2019 NFL Season Thread

Principled Man

What a bust....

You're joking, right?? :eh:

Yes and no. When he was on, he could be fantastic. But I'm guessing Indy fans are feeling like he never delivered on his real potential. Hell, they were booing him by the end of the game last night. Not to mention, his teammates must be thinking WTF dude?

Luck is not even close to being a bust. He took over a truly awful team, with a second rate coach, and brought them to being a perennial playoff team, still with a horrible roster. Then after being injured for a year, with a competent GM and a quickly improving roster, he was back in the playoffs. It would have been fun to see what he could have done if healthy this year. They would have been top 2 or 3 in the AFC, and could have easily gone to the Super Bowl.

But he has given all he could, and could do no more, and one can't blame him from hanging it up. The timing isn't great for the team, but they're not going through what he is, and he's the only one who knows exactly what that is, and very few know what it's like to go through the rigors of an NFL season, which is almost inhumane.

He took over a perennial AFC Finalist team that tanked for 1 year to get him, kicking a Hall-of-Famer to the curb in the process. And in his 1 AFC title game, he got utterly blown out. A fact that gets overlooked because it was the deflategate game.

He was no Ryan Leaf, but in hindsight, I think the Colts would have had better results sticking with Manning, and then truly rebuilding when he was done.

By the end of Manning's tenure the team was struggling to make it out of the first round. While the QBs they had on the roster weren't great, the 1-15 record the year of Manning's injury was indicative of the talent throughout the roster, they were so bad they didn't have to tank.

I think it was a good thing for Manning to start with a team with talent and not have to spend his last few years with that decaying roster. And while, due to his sheer greatness Peyton might have been able to get to the playoffs they would have been easy outs once they got there.

Not a good look for Colts fans, by the way.

What a bust....

Yes and no. When he was on, he could be fantastic. But I'm guessing Indy fans are feeling like he never delivered on his real potential. Hell, they were booing him by the end of the game last night. Not to mention, his teammates must be thinking WTF dude?

Luck is not even close to being a bust. He took over a truly awful team, with a second rate coach, and brought them to being a perennial playoff team, still with a horrible roster. Then after being injured for a year, with a competent GM and a quickly improving roster, he was back in the playoffs. It would have been fun to see what he could have done if healthy this year. They would have been top 2 or 3 in the AFC, and could have easily gone to the Super Bowl.

But he has given all he could, and could do no more, and one can't blame him from hanging it up. The timing isn't great for the team, but they're not going through what he is, and he's the only one who knows exactly what that is, and very few know what it's like to go through the rigors of an NFL season, which is almost inhumane.

He took over a perennial AFC Finalist team that tanked for 1 year to get him, kicking a Hall-of-Famer to the curb in the process. And in his 1 AFC title game, he got utterly blown out. A fact that gets overlooked because it was the deflategate game.

He was no Ryan Leaf, but in hindsight, I think the Colts would have had better results sticking with Manning, and then truly rebuilding when he was done. Peyton went on to lead Denver to 2 superbowls was upset as the favorite in the the two years they didn't make it.

Steve Young said Luck was the 1 and only QB he watched in college the last 20 years or so that he knew would be a great in the NFL You don't pass up generational talent at the hardest position to fill.

What a bust....

He was no Ryan Leaf, but in hindsight, I think the Colts would have had better results sticking with Manning, and then truly rebuilding when he was done. Peyton went on to lead Denver to 2 superbowls was upset as the favorite in the the two years they didn't make it.

Steve Young said Luck was the 1 and only QB he watched in college the last 20 years or so that he knew would be a great in the NFL You don't pass up generational talent at the hardest position to fill.

Would you say he was actually great? I wouldn't quite go that far, even when he was healthy. I wouldn't say he was ever a top 5 quarterback at any time in the last 6 years. Brady, Rodgers, and Brees were constants, and then you can take your pick with Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Patrick Mahomes, and what's his face out in San Diego. Wentz until he went down, and even Matt Ryan can possibly make a claim to being ahead of Luck.

What a bust....

Would you say he was actually great? I wouldn't quite go that far, even when he was healthy. I wouldn't say he was ever a top 5 quarterback at any time in the last 6 years. Brady, Rodgers, and Brees were constants, and then you can take your pick with Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Patrick Mahomes, and what's his face out in San Diego. Wentz until he went down, and even Matt Ryan can possibly make a claim to being ahead of Luck.

I'd call him great, but maybe "great" gets thrown around too much. I can't hold him up to Brady obviously, or Ben/Brees/ARod career wise because of the rings + longevity. Don't forget R.Wilson also. Luck had 39 tds last year...second to Mahomes. So yeah, if not top 5...damn close.

Mahomes and Wentz aren't in the conversation yet...we'll see.

I do appreciate Matt Ryan. I'd take him on my team in a hot second. He's in the hall of very, very good with Rivers.

What a bust....

I'd call him great, but maybe "great" gets thrown around too much. I can't hold him up to Brady obviously, or Ben/Brees/ARod career wise because of the rings + longevity. Don't forget R.Wilson also. Luck had 39 tds last year...second to Mahomes. So yeah, if not top 5...damn close.

I do appreciate Matt Ryan. I'd take him on my team in a hot second. He's in the hall of very, very good with Rivers.

I was thinking quick. I was in church. I was thinking, Eli yes or Eli no?

Eli no. True, two rings is hard to argue with, but big upsets both times, strong supporting cast, good defenses.

I've always thought Matt Stafford would have done better on a different team, but I'd still have taken Luck ahead of him, no question.

What a bust....

I was thinking quick. I was in church. I was thinking, Eli yes or Eli no?

Eli is a tough one. He's more really good (was) than great. Still a Hall of Famer IMO if Rivers is even in the discussion for HOF.

What a bust....

What they did to a young Luck, putting him out there with one of the worst offensive lines in football, was criminal. He took way too much punishment.
  • Like 3

Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel gave a rundown of all the shit Luck has been through: Partially torn abdomen. Lacerated kidney, allowing him the joy of peeing blood. Torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. A collapsed lung. Torn cartilage in two ribs. One reported concussion. And some odd calf or ankle issue that has kept him out of pre-season play.

Whatcha want next, a permanent case of CTE? Jesus K Reist!

Andrew Luck gets out of football, retains a wad of cash, and his health relatively intact? Good on you, m8!

• Like 1

Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel gave a rundown of all the shit Luck has been through: Partially torn abdomen. Lacerated kidney, allowing him the joy of peeing blood. Torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. A collapsed lung. Torn cartilage in two ribs. One reported concussion. And some odd calf or ankle issue that has kept him out of pre-season play.

Andrew Luck gets out of football, retains a wad of cash, and his health relatively intact? Good on you, m8!

Sounds like what Jim McMahon went through. And now he's got CTE issues.

Luck may have gone further with his Colts team had he not have deal with the play of teams like the Patriots. He was far from a bust.
  • Like 1

Sounds like what Jim McMahon went through. And now he's got CTE issues.

Yes...I can see both sides, I mean I agree with you pj, his getting out is a good decision for his health.

But he is also far from being out of the woods, long-term. The CTE symptoms could rear their head 10-20 years from now.

I'm glad he's hanging it up before he cripples himself for our amusement.

TRUTH.

He's filthy rich, married to a beautiful woman, and he wants to travel the world. What's not to like about that?!! :haz: :haz:

all true but his timing really stinks ... and they said he got hurt in a game last year but plays in the pro bowl? a lot of mystery around all this .. more to this story I bet

TRUTH.

He's filthy rich, married to a beautiful woman, and he wants to travel the world. What's not to like about that?!! :haz: :haz:

all true but his timing really stinks ... and they said he got hurt in a game last year but plays in the pro bowl? a lot of mystery around all this .. more to this story I bet

I doubt it, though, for the first time in his career he's got a competent GM and a decent O Line. The cycle of chronic pain and constant rehab combined with a new family and greater awareness of the dangers of football...plus being set for life and having interests outside the game...

TRUTH.

I doubt it, though, for the first time in his career he's got a competent GM and a decent O Line. The cycle of chronic pain and constant rehab combined with a new family and greater awareness of the dangers of football...plus being set for life and having interests outside the game...

It sort of reminds me of the scene in All the Right Moves when the Tom Cruise character says he's looking to trade football for a college education and still be able to walk.

EDIT: At 0:42

Edited by Rick N. Backer

So I don't know how quickly the LaFleur offense will gel, and the Bears defense was pretty good, and Da Bears are at home:

Bears 20, Packers 13

(side bet: the Bears kicker misses an extra point)

Packer fans are in a strange place right now. We truly do not know what to expect. Big win, big loss, low-scoring, high-scoring.....we’re clueless!! :LOL:

• Like 1

Second place? Well, it's unlikely that Detroit will win the division, but I guess it's possible . . . . who else . . . . nope, can't think of anybody . . .

The NFL Norris is just a side show for me: Come on, you Cowboys!

Yeah, not that riveting. It was almost like some of these guys weren't really ready for the first meaningful game. I don't want every game to finish 55-51, but wide-spread competence would be nice.

It’s as if these teams think that starters don’t have to play in pre-season games....

• Like 1

Antonio Brown, freshly waived free agent, your new jersey is all ready. Hope it fits!!

8ea6df4b706b136eff176406ae7468e4--straight-jacket-restraint.jpg

• Like 2