"Kick Out The Jams" Turns 50.

pjbear05

The MC 5's live debut album, "Kick Out The Jams", was released on February 22, 1969. Recorded at the Grande Balroom in Detroit, it remains a cornerstone in Detroit based music.

As an idealistic youth I walked down Cass Avenue in Detroit, on the fringes of the Wayne State University campus to a "hip" book and record store called Mixed Media, then one of the few retailers of the album.

The band already had a reputation for its loud, powerful live shows, including one played at Wayne State's Tartar Field. The reputation was furthered by the title song's opening clarion call, which led to some retailers-notably JL Hudson's- to refuse to stock the album.

Apart from the title cut were opener "Rambling Rose", "Borderline", their version ofJohn Lee Hooker's "The Motor City's Burnin' ", and Sun Ra's "Starship".

Truly, an album for the ages.

AND RIGHT NOW

RIGHT NOW

RIGHT NOW IT'S TIME TOO...

KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERF---ER!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

I was aware of it but didn't really connect until I was reading one of Patti Smith's books. She was married to Fred Smith of the MC5 and somehow it got me interested in hearing the album again. It's a classic!