New Gary Clark Jr album - This Land - drops tomorrow

Presto-digitation

Gary is a great guitarist but too bad he has to use the "race card" to make a record.

So sad the way the world has become.

Can't Gary just make a blues rock record without the hate?

Give me LIVING COLOUR instead.

The White Man must be pure EVIL then.

It's not about black and white.

White Man stole this land from the American Indian.

Get your facts straight.

SOCN can kiss my WHITE ASS!

BAN ME!

It's just the truth.

RUSH RULES!

Signed,

"TOTEM"

Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil to make records. A real MAN of the blues!

So tired of this shite.

Shut the fuckk up and make music.

Why does there still have to be anger and hate in African American Music even in 2019????

A joke.

Just make the social media charts for album sales in a world where record companies don't give a shite.

I saw RUN DMC in 1986 with LL COOL J and WHODINI in Oakland CA.

I was a white boy with 1000000's of amazing loving black people!

No one gave me shite back then!

African Americans and white people were like ONE in 1986.

Why is it getting worse????

Just for a cash grab????

"Don't Tread On Me" public forum!

I have wonderful African American brothers and sisters!

This Land is actually the first political song I've liked in a while. Has kind of a fun libertarian message too. "f**k you, I'm America's Son, this is where I come from. This land is mine. This land is mine"

Pure bullshit.

Give the American Land back to Ishi The Red. The white man used him as an experiment. Ishi died fast. Thanks white man.

"Don't call my whitey... N word."

Perry and Ice T!!

Red

Black

White

Yellow

Purple

Orange

Blue

Who cares!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I bet Gary loved it when the cast of "Hamilton" stopped the play to harass Pence around the Holidays yet it was cool to do? Pence took his daughter to the play. A paying customer and yet totally violated.

You think that's cool?

It's a disgrace.

It's not about politics and color. It's about headlines and hurting humans to make money or to become famous.

WAKE UP!

"Hamilton" is a genius play but really?

Pence isn't Evil.

No one is truly Evil.

Humans are addicted to social media, smartphones and fake news! LOL!

Just give me Rock N Roll and leave me alone!!!

Love you Rush Forum!!!

Love me hate me.

Sell me baby!

I'm gonna be famous!

NOT! LOL!

"Anthem"

Give me Ayn Rand everyday!

"Atlas Shrugged"

This Land is actually the first political song I've liked in a while. Has kind of a fun libertarian message too. "f**k you, I'm America's Son, this is where I come from. This land is mine. This land is mine"

Pure bullshit.

Give the American Land back to Ishi The Red. The white man used him as an experiment. Ishi died fast. Thanks white man.

Perry and Ice T!!

Red

Black

White

Yellow

Purple

Orange

Blue

Who cares!

What?

He wrote the song because he became successful enough to own a bit of land. His neighbors still treated him like shit. One guy wouldn't even believe him when he said he bought the house himself.

Pure bullshit.

Perry and Ice T!!

Red

Black

White

Yellow

Purple

Orange

Blue

Who cares!

What?

He wrote the song because he became successful enough to own a bit of land. His neighbors still treated him like shit. One guy wouldn't even believe him when he said he bought the house himself.

I understand. I misunderstood the lyrical content.

Sorry to disagree.

Halfway through and there’s probably more good than bad, but somethings still feels a little cliches about it to me. I’ve enjoyed a number of tracks, but I’m just not very impressed with most of the songwriting...and honestly I’m not that impressed with most of the lead playing. Something about it all sounds a bit forced somehow. Maybe it’s really down to the production, everything so big and brash, seems to do a lot of the rawer cuts a disservice.

Okay wait, I’ve just hit Guitar Man and this might be the best thing on the record so far, either this or Pink Cadillac. I enjoy this one a lot, and the production compliments it better than most of the other tracks. I dig his falsetto more than his full voice. Some great chords here. The solo has a good tone.

Here’s the thing though, for a guy who gets heralded as the new guitar hero...I just don’t hear it. He can obviously play the blues. He knows his licks and progressions by heart, and I couldn’t possibly criticize him for overplaying. Really I think he’s got the opposite issue. His solos are almost half space, which is fine as long as you’ve got an impressive lyrical melodic sense to back it up, but all I hear are serviceable notes and licks I’ve heard dozens of times before. That’s somewhat exaggerated, there are definitely great soulful moments here and there, but for someone drawing comparisons to Clapton, Vaughn...he sounds closer to one of my friends who plays the blues. Great tones, but I don’t hear the fireworks or the magic most of the time.

On The Governor now, I enjoy this. Still a tad overdone, but I say it still takes guts to do an acoustic blues number. And he sounds good here. Look, it’s not a bad record. I haven’t disliked a single track here (aside from a clunky lyric or two the songwriting is perfectly fine). But I don’t hear much special. Really the most interesting moments are when he takes on a style not inherently familiar to any blues player. The addition of synths and samples actually works very well, and there’s enough variety from one track to the next that I’m not getting bored, but I’m not finding many melodies worth remembering, many solos worth learning, many songs worth repeating. Sorry guys, I don’t get the hype.

I don’t care about hype and I never considered him a new guitar hero or a modern day blues savior. I just like his style, his feel, and the variety of influences in his music. Some blues fans read these things about him (by others, not from his camp) and they hear some Prince type song and freak the f**k out (truly: “He should only do blues, what is this R&B crap?”) because he’s not solely a blues guy...as if because of the hype foisted on him he is now responsible for delivering exactly what someone expects to hear.

I’m only a listen and a half through the new album, so I don’t have a fully formed opinion right now, but the overall impression is that it’s quite varied stylistically, which I often appreciate. I haven’t heard a song I would consider poor...and most of what I have heard I quite dig with several (!!) high quality standouts.

• Like 1

I don’t care about hype and I never considered him a new guitar hero or a modern day blues savior. I just like his style, his feel, and the variety of influences in his music. Some blues fans read these things about him (by others, not from his camp) and they hear some Prince type song and freak the f**k out (truly: “He should only do blues, what is this R&B crap?”) because he’s not solely a blues guy...as if because of the hype foisted on him he is now responsible for delivering exactly what someone expects to hear.

I’m only a listen and a half through the new album, so I don’t have a fully formed opinion right now, but the overall impression is that it’s quite varied stylistically, which I often appreciate. I haven’t heard a song I would consider poor...and most of what I have heard I quite dig with several (!!) high quality standouts.

My favorite thing about the record is easily the stylist variety, I’m just not hearing all the highlights you are.