RIP Peter Tork

Prog snob

Aww, R.I.P. Peter! The template for the goofy band member if there ever was one. The Monkees were a big part of my childhood. My sister and I were young but played the second album until my parents couldn't stand it anymore! I know he'll be welcome in Rock N Roll Heaven. :rose: Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

Aww, R.I.P. Peter! The template for the goofy band member if there ever was one. The Monkees were a big part of my childhood. My sister and I were young but played the second album until my parents couldn't stand it anymore! I know he'll be welcome in Rock N Roll Heaven. :rose:

They were a big part of mine as well. I think I was 10 or 11 when the show came on television.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Here is an interesting article about him. I never knew their show had won an Emmy for best comedy, although my sister and I watched it all the time!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/peter-tork-endearingly-offbeat-bassist-and-singer-in-the-monkees-dies-at-77/2019/02/21/479cf4ae-35ee-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html

I always liked Peter. There was a bit more going on with him than the TV show suggested. Multi-talented musician. Went to see the reunion tour in '87.

Another one gone. Sign of the times...

• Like 2

I was a member of the Monkees Fan Club back in '66. I collected the bubble gum trading cards too.

favorite song: Pleasant Valley Sunday. Written about a street in the next town over from where I grew up. Carol King co-wrote the song with... I forget.

RIP

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

RIP

My mom was a huge Monkees fan. She bought all their vinyls back in the day. I got into them when they had that big comeback in the mid 80s. Listened to those old albums a lot. Saw them live on their comeback tour. Pretty fun show from what I can remember 30 something years later. Mike Nesmith didn't participate in it. I can't remember why. Every few song they would play up the comedy from the TV show by doing funny banter and bits between themselves and the audience.

Peter didn't get the spotlight that Mickey and Davey did but he stood out because he was the loveable oddball goof.

Loved watching them as a kid, although in reruns by the time I heard of them. He had cancer about 10 years ago, but still had 77 years which is good for anyone.

Loved the Monkeemobile. Badass.

61181_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

• Like 2

Same here. I'm as old as the TV show. They went into syndication in '69. That makes sense.

As well as the customized GTO, the guys also got a GTO each to drive. Mike got busted for street racing in his. I read it was quite the scene as the cops were trying to figure out why this long haired kid had a new GTO with no papers tracing it to him. And Mike's temper...

Ended up watching a couple of episodes and then watched Head. Warped movie. Cool.

• Like 1

I identified with Peter more that any other character on the TV show...I was always 'the clown' and trying to make people laugh. Plus. he and Mike Nesmith were the only True MUSICIANS in the group. But with all the 'incest' in the music industry back in the 60's and such, how many of you knew Davey Jones, sand back up for Neil Diamond on "Cherry, Cherry"? I can tell with my ears that his voice is in the mix...but everything I can find on the web is a lie. saying some woman and another guy sang back up on that song. But the source for my ears was the radio, and now THREE Greatest Hits and A Live album. Some one on the WEB is LYING. [what a LEAP]

2QaJ2Se.jpg

I liked, and had no problems, and issues, with the "Monkees". When I was younger, I listened to them, and watched their t.v. show. I'm sorry, to see, and hear him passed away. He'll, and should be missed. "Condolences, to family, and friends, too". R.I.P., Peter.

I was more familiar with The Monkees music than the TV show, which was 4-5 years before my time, and I did watch some reruns. He will be greatly missed. :rose: Edited by Leanne

A little late, my cousin and her friends got to see the Monkees and I was always jealous (only a little.. :laughing guy:). I was a Beatles fan and kinda looked down my nose at them until I listened to the albums and they grew on me. Peter reminded me of Ringo, always a little shy and out of things...

These announcements are getting too frequent lately... :rose: