2019 MLB Season Thread! Harper? Vlad Jr.? A's New Stadium? Play Ball!!

RUSHHEAD666

I'm so pumped!!! Spring Training games are starting!! A's Mariners tomorrow!!

I wish my A's could have signed an ace or two but alas I am still happy!

Hope my guys can get the wild card again!

For those of you who play fantasy baseball are you going to take a risk and draft Vlad Jr.???? Hell yes I am!!!

Geddy and I talked about his Blue Jays and how they are going to keep Jr down until May. Let's just say Geddy was not too happy about that.

You wouldn't believe what he told me.

I will keep that private.

So not me! LOL!

Anyway, I can't wait for the 2019 Season!

Where the hell is Harper going? I pray it's not with the Vagiants. Jezzzzussss.

GO A'S!!!

Get that new stadium built in the Howard Terminal!!! GOOD KARMA!!!!

• Like 5

I'm so pumped!!! Spring Training games are starting!! A's Mariners tomorrow!!

I wish my A's could have signed an ace or two but alas I am still happy!

Hope my guys can get the wild card again!

For those of you who play fantasy baseball are you going to take a risk and draft Vlad Jr.???? Hell yes I am!!!

Geddy and I talked about his Blue Jays and how they are going to keep Jr down until May. Let's just say Geddy was not too happy about that.

You wouldn't believe what he told me.

I will keep that private.

So not me! LOL!

Anyway, I can't wait for the 2019 Season!

Where the hell is Harper going? I pray it's not with the Vagiants. Jezzzzussss.

GO A'S!!!

Get that new stadium built in the Howard Terminal!!! GOOD KARMA!!!!

I wont be taking Vlad Jr. as he is a keeper in both the leagues I play. If Harper goes to SF, dont stress! They would only sign him to a short term deal, and they will not contend in the next 2-3 years.

Oakland is going to be great this year once again - underrated lineup and beastly bullpen. Laureano and Chapman underrated, and I think Olson will settle in somewhere between his 2017 bonkers output and the minor letdown of 2018.

Meanwhile, my Pirates are remarkably frustrating to follow. We have a decent rotation, but it incredibly frustrating that we do absolutely nothing in free agency. Tampa looks like big spenders in comparison to us! Meanwhile, the rest of the division (with the exception of Chicago but they are still good) is trending upwards.

• Like 1

In other news, the Dodgers offload the thuggish Manny Machado for $300 million to the Black Hole of Baseball, West Coast Edition (aka San Diego). After what we saw from Manny in the 2018 World series, Dodger fans are saying good riddance.

Machado’s October will be remembered, but mostly for the wrong reasons. He emerged as baseball’s leading heel. In the NLCS, he intentionally ran over the foot of Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar, for which the league fined him $10,000. He countered accusations that he doesn’t always play hard by telling Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, “I’m not the type of player that’s going to be ‘Johnny Hustle.’” In Game 3 of the World Series, he confirmed that self-assessment by standing and admiring a ball he was certain he’d hit for a home run, winding up only on first base after it struck the wall.

See ya.

hi-res-be140b685fb0a03ff8632ced5a4a349e_crop_exact.jpg?w=900&h=600&q=75

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

In other news, the Dodgers offload the thuggish Manny Machado for $300 million to the Black Hole of Baseball, West Coast Edition (aka San Diego). After what we saw from Manny in the 2018 World series, Dodger fans are saying good riddance.

Machado’s October will be remembered, but mostly for the wrong reasons. He emerged as baseball’s leading heel. In the NLCS, he intentionally ran over the foot of Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar, for which the league fined him $10,000. He countered accusations that he doesn’t always play hard by telling Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, “I’m not the type of player that’s going to be ‘Johnny Hustle.’” In Game 3 of the World Series, he confirmed that self-assessment by standing and admiring a ball he was certain he’d hit for a home run, winding up only on first base after it struck the wall.

See ya.

hi-res-be140b685fb0a03ff8632ced5a4a349e_crop_exact.jpg?w=900&h=600&q=75

Pads still haven’t learned their lesson after Matt Kemp. Plus, it’s very hard to hit homers at a pitchers park like Petco. Oh, and clown boy still has yet to sign with Philly or any team.

On the bright side for me, no more of Scioscia and his “turn the page” crap. Even if Ausmus has a bad record going back to Detroit, a team they’ve owned in the Trout era.

See ya.

What's the Over/Under on how fast the San Diego press and fan base starts calling for Punk Machado's head on a platter?

1 Season? :P

• Like 2

See ya.

What's the Over/Under on how fast the San Diego press and fan base starts calling for Punk Machado's head on a platter?

Do they even care down there?

See ya.

Maybe a handful....

Bryce Harper hahahahahahahaha! The Philly fans here (we are halfway between Pittsburgh and Philly and also in the Baltimore and Washington blackout areas :( ) have been chomping at the bit for weeks to get Harper signed. Every day there are rumors on the news, he's coming, he's coming! The latest was yesterday when a jet belonging to the Phillies owner was seen in Las Vegas, where Harper lives. It would be great for Philly if he does come! He played a few times in Harrisburg ( Nats minor league team) when he was rehabbing from injuries but we didn't go because it was a rugby scrum with so many people there.

I agree with TX Rush on the Pirates! Good pitching, but no money to do much with in free agency. The heart of the team still seems to be Francisco Cervelli, who is their catcher that gives like 1000 percent. He has been been injured and come back so many times it's hard to believe. He is from Venezuela and what's going on now has to be rough on him.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

What's the over/under this year on Kershaw's IP? If it was 100, I'm not sure I'd take the over.

Seriously, knowing Kershaw's penchant for injury and suspect post-season record, why give him a 5-year $87 trillion (or abouts) contract?

Its definitely a risk, but there's only one franchise in professional sports that follows Branch Rickey's old maxim about getting rid of a guy one year too early rather than one year too late when it comes to franchise icons, and that franchise's owner apparently has to pay for sex.

Its definitely a risk, but there's only one franchise in professional sports that follows Branch Rickey's old maxim about getting rid of a guy one year too early rather than one year too late when it comes to franchise icons, and that franchise's owner apparently has to pay for sex.

Such a weird world.
  • Like 1

See ya.

Slightly more than Marlins fans about Stanton.

C3ZD53s_d.jpg

Enjoy your overrated clubhouse cancer, Philly.

Idiotic contract. :facepalm:

I disagree. I was hoping he'd be a Cub.

Jason Heyward. Now that was an idiotic contract. Harper's AAV is only a couple more million than Heyward's. He's more than a 3 WAR player, much more; his defensive metrics killed hisvWAR, and those still need a ton of work; he'll average 5+ WAR over the next seven years.

C3ZD53s_d.jpg

Jason Heyward. Now that was an idiotic contract. Harper's AAV is only a couple more million than Heyward's. He's more than a 3 WAR player, much more; his defensive metrics killed hisvWAR, and those still need a ton of work; he'll average 5+ WAR over the next seven years.

Your addiction to numbers has clouded your ability to see the obvious. :P

C3ZD53s_d.jpg

Which is?

C3ZD53s_d.jpg

Which is?

A 13-year, $330 million contract for any player is foolish, from a business perspective.
  • Like 1

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/wires/state-nation-world/commentary-why-giants-fans-should-be-thankful-bryce-harper-signed-with-phillies/

Commentary: Why Giants fans should be thankful Bryce Harper signed with Phillies

"...the Phillies just paid, up-front, for the downslope of Harper’s career."

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/commentary/dan-buffa/buffa-why-losing-out-on-bryce-harper-is-disappointing-without-being-upsetting/63-cd1dbaf6-7217-4026-bb66-6e5bc798f6c9

Why losing out on Bryce Harper is disappointing without being upsetting

He's played in 150+ games just twice in his seven-year career, which always made an eight-year deal the most desirable. The annual salary isn't the problem. The zero opt-outs, zero deferrals, and the complete no-trade clause is the issue. It's all in Harper's interest, and the Cardinals would be locked into him.

In the spirit of fairness, a rebuttal...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/03/01/5-reasons-bryce-harpers-13-year-330-million-contract-is-a-steal-for-the-phillies/#607666c27c12

5 Reasons Bryce Harper's 13-Year, $330 Million Contract Is A Steal For The Phillies

C3ZD53s_d.jpg

Which is?

A 13-year, $330 million contract for any player is foolish, from a business perspective.

Sure, he won't be worth it in 2031 (the Mets will still be 4 yrs away from the end of Bobby Bonilla's contract, BTW), but the first 6-7 years of excess value will more than offset it, and he could be a $12 million player even at ages 37 or 38, which is roughly the equivalent of $25 million now.

• Like 1

https://www.dailyrep...-with-phillies/

Commentary: Why Giants fans should be thankful Bryce Harper signed with Phillies

"...the Phillies just paid, up-front, for the downslope of Harper’s career."

https://www.ksdk.com...66-6e5bc798f6c9

Why losing out on Bryce Harper is disappointing without being upsetting

He's played in 150+ games just twice in his seven-year career, which always made an eight-year deal the most desirable. The annual salary isn't the problem. The zero opt-outs, zero deferrals, and the complete no-trade clause is the issue. It's all in Harper's interest, and the Cardinals would be locked into him.

In the spirit of fairness, a rebuttal...

https://www.forbes.c...s/#607666c27c12

5 Reasons Bryce Harper's 13-Year, $330 Million Contract Is A Steal For The Phillies

The Giants were a horrible fit, at the start of a rebuild, and they would have wasted his best years. The Phillies not only moved up their window but changed it from that of a regular car to the size of that of a Pacer.

Well hopefully my Rays will be able to pick up where they left off last season. Still sad that we had the more wins that some teams had that made it to the playoffs and didn't make it. Oh well I guess that's what happens when your team is in a division that has two of the top teams in the MLB. Especially one that keeps you 19 games out when in any other division your record would place you at least 3rd being only 5 games out, if not a solid second place... We picked up a veteran pitcher and some other "no names" in the off season.

Only time will tell.