• Dark Side of the Moon
    • Wish You Were Here
    • Animals
    • The Wall
    • The Final Cut
    • A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    • The Division Bell
    • Endless River

Sorry “real fans” but it’s The Wall followed closely by Dark Side.

I'm no real fan, but Animals is my easy fav, followed by Dark Side, then The Wall, then WYWH, then Meddle

• Like 1

I'm no real fan, but Animals is my easy fav, followed by Dark Side, then The Wall, then WYWH, then Meddle

2112 is a superb album but it’s not in my Top 3 Rush.

The Wall is a superb album but it’s not...well, you guys know what I’m saying.

:blaze:

• Like 2

You're definitely not a "real fan." Your top four are usually familiar to those peasant "casual fans." :)

• Like 1

You're definitely not a "real fan." Your top four are usually familiar to those peasant "casual fans." :)

I haven't even listened to Syd Barret's solo work or anything! I must be a poser! :P :LOL:

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

So which are better albums:

Floyd albums after Waters left or Waters solo albums?

PF albums have aged far better.

:yes:

Division Bell is a gem

For any Floyd music-nerds out there:

This fellow has done some mighty interesting videos, covering everything from Schoenberg to Beefheart. They're kinda technical at times, but well (and thoroughly) analyzed, and go well with a cup of tea.

Division Bell is a gem

Radio KAOS is a shiny lump. "Magic Billy" :eyeroll:

Pros and Cons is not much better, although had a cool concept.

• Like 1

Division Bell is a gem

Radio KAOS is a shiny lump. "Magic Billy" :eyeroll:

Pros and Cons is not much better, although had a cool concept.

Have to defend Every Stranger's Eyes though, such a gem.

• Like 1

July 20, 1969

Pink Floyd were in a BBC TV studio jamming to the Apollo 11 moon landing.

50 years ago - MOON HEAD

• Like 2

I haven't even listened to Syd Barret's solo work or anything! I must be a poser! :P :LOL:

Quit posin'! Start listenin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9gM-blNvdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNgxNxkUQF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFtqkX4Kdfc

yuopks7gisn21.png

"There is no dark side really...it's all dark."

They were playing The Madcap Laughs at my local record store today when I walked in! So now I've heard a good bit of it and... it's certainly peculiar. I'm not blown away by the instrumentation (seemed to be a lot of straightforward acoustic arrangements), but the songs all have some quirk about them. I did enjoy hearing it!

• Like 1

I also just noticed the current votes perfectly reflect my own rankings (of the ones I've heard)!

Animals

Dark Side Of The Moon

The Wall

Wish You Were Here

Meddle

The Division Bell

• Like 1

"The Pipers At The Gate Of Yawn!"

Another Floyd thread. Holy shit balls man.

A legendary band. I love them but wow.

I will play the game.

I'm glad I'm weird.

"Meddle" or "Obscured."

Everything else is overplayed radio fodder "Money" grabbing brilliance.

Give me QUEEN instead.

"I we hear is RADIO GAGA RADIO GOOGOO!"

I was a young teen when all of these hits were on the radio. So great hearing it all as a young kid.

But now?

Good luck Generation Z or you fuckking millennials who want everything now and everything for nothing with no passion or drive to learn about pop culture.

Stay on your iPhones you idiot zombie nation. Walking on the streets ball and chained to a fuckking smart I mean dumb phone. Wake up! No wonder no one wants to get married anymore.

No wonder no one wants to stay together anymore!! Keep walking like "Tommy" while gazing into or odd orb. Some pretty girl is trying to make eye contact with you dumb Digital Man. Pull your head out of your ass and look at a cute human girl instead in front of you.

Keep swiping left or right. Find the love of your life for one night.

It's a wonderful world. An incredible planet that we get to live on, yet humanity is swiftly destroying it all.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY I WAS BORN IN 1968!

My parents are still here and married for 57 years strong!!!

I hate being divorced. I wanted to be with Wendy forever. Hell I was Peter Pan.

But life throws your curveballs.

Life is fair. When it's up it's up.

Great. Hijacking another thread.

Sorry!

I'm that Rush Red Star Bull in the china shop. LOL!!!!!!!!

I love being labeled on here.

So fun!!!

BRING ON THE NIGHT!!!

Signed,

STING

• Like 1

Quit posin'! Start listenin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9gM-blNvdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNgxNxkUQF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFtqkX4Kdfc

yuopks7gisn21.png

"There is no dark side really...it's all dark."

They were playing The Madcap Laughs at my local record store today when I walked in! So now I've heard a good bit of it and... it's certainly peculiar. I'm not blown away by the instrumentation (seemed to be a lot of straightforward acoustic arrangements), but the songs all have some quirk about them. I did enjoy hearing it!

The Barrett stuff is very stark instrumentally and lyrically, with very off-kilter arrangements. Most of it is just Syd and guitar, with the odd overdub.

Sometimes he'd record without bothering to plug in his electric guitar, which would then be close-miked.

His lyrics are something else entirely. Great imagery, although incredibly sad at times.

It's sometimes difficult listening to Barrett, as, in a way, you're listening to someone disappearing into extreme mental illness, but his weird little musical postcards are strangely affecting.

• Like 1

It's that time again. I'm spinning Dark Side Of The Moon, and once again I'm caught in a state of consistent happiness at the beauty of this music. Say what you want about it not being as "complex" or "boundary pushing" as many of their other records (and I disagree but I digress), no other Floyd album (and not many other albums) send me to this beautiful state of mind. If aliens came down to earth who had never heard of music and wanted to know what it was, I'd play this for them. It has everything, and it's all seamless and easy, sure and sweet. Animals may be my Floyd personal favorite, but in many ways it's got nothing on this. Floyd never had this moment again.
  • Like 2

It's that time again. I'm spinning Dark Side Of The Moon, and once again I'm caught in a state of consistent happiness at the beauty of this music. Say what you want about it not being as "complex" or "boundary pushing" as many of their other records (and I disagree but I digress), no other Floyd album (and not many other albums) send me to this beautiful state of mind. If aliens came down to earth who had never heard of music and wanted to know what it was, I'd play this for them. It has everything, and it's all seamless and easy, sure and sweet. Animals may be my Floyd personal favorite, but in many ways it's got nothing on this. Floyd never had this moment again.

this album has been shoved down everyone's thoarts since 1973.

having said that. it's totally justified. one of THE Most perfect listening experiences you can have.

and anyone disputing that is a couple of things

1. Just not listening/in a coma

2. Clearly upset they can't "get it"

3. FUCCKIN' STUPID.

lol.

But i'm dead serious on this one.

love this album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I recently discovered that there's a song written by Van Morrison titled 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9n5tHvCHDc

However it has nothing to do with Pink Floyd, because the band never wrote a song with that title. It's only an album title from them noted here.

As music listeners, we're used to that phrase being associated with Pink Floyd.

In a related way, RUSH wrote a song titled 'Out Of The Cradle', which is on Vapor Trails.

Whereas Lindsey Buckingham's 1992 solo album is also titled Out Of The Cradle. However there's no title track song on the album.

However from interviews read, both Buckingham and Peart have both acknowledged the poetic phrase is inspired by Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking by Walt Whittman.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1