Geddy on MP premiere (1981) and the holy grail of live recordings

cygnify

Recently read a transcription for the Moving Pictures premiere interview from CHUM-FM (February 11, 1981) at Power Windows site:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19810211mppremier.htm

and regarding the Permanent Waves Tour, Geddy States:

"Plus we thought it would be a good thing to record that particular tour because every tour is different and there'll be some material that we did last year that we won't be doing any more, so when we went over to Britain, we recorded about ten dates so we've got about 50 reels of tape sitting around somewhere."

Now obviously we were all aware of some recordings as Bankok, Closer to the Heart, BBB, and Jacob's ladder from 1980 ended up on Exit Stage Left (and a version of The Spirit of Radio was released for one of the Rock Band games...) but I never realized it was 10 full shows!

Holy Smokes - this could make the Permanent Waves Deluxe edition actually worth it! (though I won't hold my breath after recent disappointments..) It is still surprising that the band would have something that is basically a holy grail recording for diehards and sit on it for 40 years... (makes me wonder if the tapes were lost/destroyed/degraded.)

For reference, the setlist throughout the Permanent Waves tour:

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part III: Discovery

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VI: Soliloquy

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Freewill

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

The Spirit of Radio

Natural Science

A Passage to Bangkok

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part V: Cygnus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere

Closer to the Heart

Beneath, Between & Behind

Jacob's Ladder

Working Man

Finding My Way

Anthem

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Encore:

La Villa Strangiato

• Like 6

Those Permanent Waves live tapes are probably in the same box/crate as the tapes of the headlining COS shows that possibly contained parts of tFoL live.
  • Like 1

Surely that would make a killer live set!!! But I doubt that the band has an influence on, or any interest in, this anniversary releases.

Oh, I agree - I'm just hoping that somebody that does influence those releases sees the opportunity here (although I should temper my hopes as I was already disappointed with choices made for the Hemisphere and Farewell releases...)

Either way, if these tapes are still extant, it's surprising the band sat on them through their retirement in 2015 - they seemed to milk the cash cow every other way, but didn't exploit what would have been, perhaps, the mostly highly desired item.

• Like 2

Those Permanent Waves live tapes are probably in the same box/crate as the tapes of the headlining COS shows that possibly contained parts of tFoL live.

I'm pretty sure that Caress recording has been confirmed to not exist at all and the guy who claimed to have it was just making it up.

The Permanent Waves tour is (IMO) song for song the best setlist they've ever played and I really hope the 40th anniversary release has a complete concert recording. The only soundboard recording is St. Louis 80 which is sadly incomplete. There are some very good-sounding audience recordings that I have but a professionally recorded full show would be incredible.

• Like 2

I remember sitting at home in Ottawa listening to the St Louis, (Keil, Feb 1980) live broadcast when it was aired on the radio, Chez 106. The next day in school, EVERYONE, even our goddam gym teacher was talking about it.
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure that Caress recording has been confirmed to not exist at all and the guy who claimed to have it was just making it up.

The Permanent Waves tour is (IMO) song for song the best setlist they've ever played and I really hope the 40th anniversary release has a complete concert recording. The only soundboard recording is St. Louis 80 which is sadly incomplete. There are some very good-sounding audience recordings that I have but a professionally recorded full show would be incredible.

St. Louis is not the only soundboard recording! Besides that one there are a few others circling around.

Poughkeepsie, 26.01.1980 is a fantastic recording which is also incomplete, but has a fantastic Jacob's Ladder version.

And then we have this beauty here...

Pw6tnx6.jpg

• Like 1