Hands down the best guy for the job is Michel Langevin aka Away from Voivod for these reasons:
1. He is an amazing and unique drummer that has created his own style and has inspired an entire generation of technical drummers in his own right.
2. He's Canadian which means it will be easier for them to relate to on a personal and cultural level.
3. He's a little younger so he will inject some 'youthful' energy into the band but old enough to be able to relate them musically and culturally.
4. He grew up a massive Rush fan and his style is heavily influenced by Rush.
5. Voivod in their own right have established themselves as Progressive Rock innovators throughout the years.
6. The guy is constantly reinventing himself and evolving as a musical artist (And he is the literal artist of the band!)
7. Voivod actually toured with Rush in the late 80's/early 90's which means they have at least met before and have established some kind of personal connection.
Not sure how many people are familiar with Voivod but this is an absolute win/win and an incredible match for Lee/Lifeson. Anyone here that is not familiar with Voivod should start off with the following since these albums are more Prog oriented and less Metal (Which is how they started):
- Nothingface - 1989 (An absolute masterpiece! And a unique and Euclidean musical experience!)
- Angel Rat - 1991
- The Outer Limits - 1993
I know there has been a lot of speculation as to possible drummers for a Lee/Lifeson musical project and just wanted to throw this lesser known but absolutely missing piece of the puzzle out there.
Thanks for listening. Cheers!
Edited by skullchrist, 10 February 2019 - 10:32 AM.