Favorite city in the whole world!?

Permanent-Rush

For me, gotta go with Jakarta Indonesia. How about you guys!? I wanna go to Jakarta so badly I'd do almost anything to go there!! :heart: :heart:

Have you been there before? If not, how can it be your favorite?

An old, good friend & former co-worker of mine moved there 5-6 years ago and seems to like it.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

For me, gotta go with Jakarta Indonesia. How about you guys!? I wanna go to Jakarta so badly I'd do almost anything to go there!! :heart: :heart:

Have you been there before? If not, how can it be your favorite?

An old, good friend & former co-worker of mine moved there 5-6 years ago and seems to like it.

I have never been, but I have seen videos and pictures, tons of videos and pictures!!

Favorite cities I've been to:

Jackson, Wyoming

Chicago

Bar Harbor, ME

West Boylston, MA

Cities I want to see:

Tokyo

Sydney

Hong Kong (technically not a city)

Edinburgh

Reykjavik

San Antonio

Anchorage

and Fresno

Chicago’s probably at the top of my list of U.S. cities I’d like to visit. I’ve transited there countless times but never left the airport.

Tokyo’s technically not a city either.

Imagine you’re shrunken and put inside a pinball machine. Then, instead of 1 metal ball bouncing around, there are 20 million. Toss in loads of pachinko parlors, izakaya, shopping arcades, department stores, and love hotels and you’ve got Tokyo. :P

Reykjavik sounds cool to me and somewhere I’d like to check out too.

• Like 1

Paris, France

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Cincinnati, Ohio

Las Vegas, Nevada

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 3

In my state, Ventura. I’ve appreciated my adolescencent and childhood home of Claremont as I’ve gotten older. Love going to the village especially if there’s a movie I wanna see there at the Laemmle. Village Venture every Halloween is nice as well. Rhino Records and Video Paradiso are great for movies and movie renting.

Prescott,AZ was nice. I went there a few times since my half sister and brother in law lived there and went to college there for a year before my BIL got a baseball scholarship at University of Utah.

• Like 2

I haven't been too many places, but I certainly liked

Quebec City, QC

Montreal, QC

Portland, OR

Places like Toronto, Ottawa, L.A., San Diego, Las Vegas didn't make the cut

• Like 1

What a cool question! We lived in five states in the first nine years we were married! (long story . . :eh: :eh: ). I kind of do the "bloom where you are planted" thing and also like to explore cities neighborhood by neighborhood.

But anyway- I've lived just outside San Francisco for 2 years and loved it there!

Lived in the suburbs of Chicago when I was very young and love that city also.

I've been to Montreal on two long trips and loved that (and the food!).

We lived in Colorado for a long time and the little town (also there is a ski resort) of Steamboat Springs is one of the prettiest places I have seen. You can look down into a large valley of rivers and farms or look up into the mountains. It's gorgeous (and kind of hard to get to, so not that developed.)

We lived in Salt Lake City for a year and the sun was always out! Utah is beautiful. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I didn't love Cleveland but I loved our neighbors and friends there. It was the most multicultural area I've ever lived in and that was really cool.

Pittsburgh of course !!

I'd love to see London, Edinburgh and Brisbane, Australia! My daughter lived there for awhile and it sounded great!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Favorite cities I've been to:

Jackson, Wyoming

I was just there yesterday. 24" of fresh powder made for great skiing. I also got to see the Special Olympics torch runners go by, which was very cool.

A great town.

• Like 1

Seattle, WA (Cuz i'm from there and though it's changed immeasurably since I left, it still has most of the places I love and I know that place like the back of my hand as well as the eastside of lake WA (the Seattle area))

New Orleans, LA (Lived there for a few years in the late 90s, was married there...my husband and I go back and visit every other year or so for out anniversary)

Bangkok, Thailand (Went there in 2013...it's so cool and different from where i'm from. The sites, the food, so good)

Pittsburgh, PA (lots of stuff to see and do, been there many times)

Vancouver, BC (lots of stuff to see and do surrounded by gorgeous mountains and water, been there many times)

• Like 4

My Favorite City is Saline, Mi. where I live now, been here for most of my life. Ann Arbor Michigan, [Drug capitol of the Mid west] Home of the University of Michigan, a VERY multicultural city, especially food wise. You can get almost any country's food there...Cocoa Beach and Leesburg Fla. Pueblo, Colorado, Montreal, CA, Niagara Falls, CA. [The Louis Tussauds Waxworks, and Beleve It Or Not museum, besides the falls] Dodge City, Kansas, Presque Isle, Michigan, Mackinaw City, Michigan. Sault Ste. Marie, Canada[Agawa Canyon tour by Train], New York City, NY, Miami, Fla. Over seas, I'd like to visit The London Air Museum, the Air Museum for Germany where ever that is... Paris.

kAE9Zkv.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

Holy shirt! Cool topic, PR! :ebert:

Jeez, can't just pick one...

Halifax

Phnom Penh

Tokyo (er, my favourite Megalopolis - sorry Jakarta! :P)

Kuala Lumpur before it started smelling like pee

Vientiane

bonus city: Bandung, Indonesia, before the mayor etc f*cked it up.

Jakarta is now part of a sprawl of several cities, referred to as 'Jabodetabek', with a population slightly smaller than Canada's.

I've been to Jakarta a couple of times. It can be stupidly busy, and there is incredible, heart-wrenching poverty, so it's not a city that many people enjoy visiting. That being said, there are lots of things to see there, and a ridiculous amount of incredible street food to discover! It's pretty easy (and cheap) to get around, just don't be in a hurry! :no:

The sad news about Jakarta is that it's slowly sinking into the Java Sea, with up to a third of it expected to be underwater within the next 10 or so years (saw this on an Indonesian tv documentary about Jakarta), and no plan in place to handle the displaced population. See it while you can!

300px-800px-Jakarta3.JPG

• Like 1

Chicago tops my list. I've been there on 3 separate trips, and enjoyed each one. They were only 2-3 days though, wish I could spend a whole week there, preferably in the summer to catch a Cubs game.

Seattle and Portland get high marks, both fun and good beer towns.

Toronto was fun, but Jeez that was 40 years ago. Definitely worth a redo.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention Spokane was gorgeous the few times I've been there. We almost moved there in 2011 but the job was pulled out from under me at the very last second. Tucson is also gorgeous but I could never handle that kind of heat for that long. And one of the coolest things I've ever seen is making the drive to Las Vegas from the north at night. It's just empty dark desert and then you go up a slight incline, and once over the incline the entire Vegas metro area just explodes in front of you
  • Like 5

Some great cities mentioned here that I know fairly well...Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Vegas (at night), Tuscon (great college town). I'd add Boston, San Francisco (back in the day), San Diego (also back in the day), Salt Lake City, Barcelona, Madrid, Cannes, Florence (15 years ago - overgrown in a bad way now), Rome, Munich (also overgrown now), Dresden, Freiburg, Heidelberg (and the Nekkar)...

It really is a beautiful world, full of mostly good people.

• Like 5

Holy shirt! Cool topic, PR! :ebert:

Jeez, can't just pick one...

Halifax

Phnom Penh

Tokyo (er, my favourite Megalopolis - sorry Jakarta! :P)

Kuala Lumpur before it started smelling like pee

Vientiane

bonus city: Bandung, Indonesia, before the mayor etc f*cked it up.

Jakarta is now part of a sprawl of several cities, referred to as 'Jabodetabek', with a population slightly smaller than Canada's.

I've been to Jakarta a couple of times. It can be stupidly busy, and there is incredible, heart-wrenching poverty, so it's not a city that many people enjoy visiting. That being said, there are lots of things to see there, and a ridiculous amount of incredible street food to discover! It's pretty easy (and cheap) to get around, just don't be in a hurry! :no:

The sad news about Jakarta is that it's slowly sinking into the Java Sea, with up to a third of it expected to be underwater within the next 10 or so years (saw this on an Indonesian tv documentary about Jakarta), and no plan in place to handle the displaced population. See it while you can!

300px-800px-Jakarta3.JPG

What...no Patpong?! :P

Yeah, way too hard to list one.

For the homeland I’m going with NYC, Portland, and Saint Augustine (FL). And you couldn’t get 3 more different places.

Outside the states, it’s much tougher. These can’t be wrong though: Malaga, Florence, Rome, Nara, Kuala Lumpur

• Like 5

All amazing cites and countries, even some I have visited (like Barcelona, Munich, Brussels, U.S. etc etc) and places like San Diego where I have lived before. Keep the wonderful replies coming folks!!

Oh and vaportraller, saya ingin, tapi saya keraguan bahwa akan di sana di Jakarta kapan saja segera :( Saya harapan jadi meskipun suatu hari nanti, mungkin. Terima kasih banyak, halo apa kabar!? Kamu oke, baik, atau buruk?? Saya oke tbh, saja marah ke Duolingo orang, shadowbanned untuk kehidupan. :( bagaimapun jadi hanya penasaran berapa kamu adalah (cinta bawah kata, yang kata apa)!! :) Cinta Jakarta, dan Indonesia. Berdoa untuk Indonesia dan Seventeen juga, maaf jika kamu tak mau ke. Saya tak berdoa tapi menjaga mereka di saya pemikiran, selalu. Maaf, belajar Bahasa Indonesia tapu tak baik ke ia. :heart:

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 1

I really like Chicago because of the scale of how the city seems to radiate out from the shores of Lake Michigan, especially if you are flying over it en route to Chicago O'Hare in the evening hours.

Cleveland is similar only it is on Lake Erie and the airport is Cleveland Hopkins, It also is the Gateway to my Home state of Ohio, although I do have to say it is the most misjudged metropolitan area in all of Ohio.

Although if there is one city that I always love at least in the United States it would have to be the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I especially love how the city balances out urban sprawl with natural areas, not to mention it is a city that loves to express Internationalism, I especially love the diversity of cultures ranging from Scandinavian, African, Asian to Latin American all living in a dynamic metropolis that continues to amaze. I especially love finding some really unique restaurants one of my favorites Is a place in St. Paul that specializes in Russian cuisine (Which I admit is the perfect cure for a Fierce Minnesota Winter) not far from F. Scott Fitzgerald's Childhood Home

• Like 2