Vapor Trails vs Vapor Trails Remixed - 17 years later.

treeduck

Vapor Trails which version do you prefer now  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition of Vapor Trails do you prefer now?

• Vapor Trails - the 2002 Original
    • Vapor Trails Remixed (2013)
    • I don't like the original and the remixed version did nothing to improve it

I have to say that I prefer the 2002 original version of Vapor Trails. The Remixed version is cleaner and you can hear some vocal parts better and some guitar leads better, but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.
  • Like 5

...but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.

The little guitar solo that was added into Ceiling Unlimited -- recorded during the original sessions, I'm assuming, but omitted in the original mix -- kills that section of the song for me. There's a reason why it was omitted in the original. And that's just an example of why the remix fails on certain songs. Why didn't Alex and/or Geddy supervise the remix instead of just handing it off to David Bottrill to do it by himself? As talented as Bottrill is, he wasn't there during the original recording sessions and wasn't privy to some of the decisions that were made during the mixing process, like the choice to not include that guitar solo in Ceiling. They probably would have said to not add that solo back in. And that goes for some vocal parts that were added in or over-emphasized on other songs.

Other songs like OLV sound better remixed. It still sounds like the OLV that we knew, but it sounds BETTER, and that's what frustrates me. That's what we wanted out of the remix for all the songs. Don't change the songs, just make them sound better.

• Like 11

Loved that they came back after tragedy but the beginning of the end to coherently written songs. I bought the remix and listened to it once. Absolutely awful album with not much better to follow...

Original mix, LP version!

So much better than the CD. It should have an official anti-headache approval sticker on the front. :hail:

• Like 3

So much better than the CD. It should have an official anti-headache approval sticker on the front. :hail:

Luckily I've never had a headache in my life, no matter what I listen to or how much I drink!

• Like 1

Luckily I've never had a headache in my life, no matter what I listen to or how much I drink!

Hey, me too! We are superbrain! :AlienSmiley: :AlienSmiley: :smash:

Seriously, I cannot make it through the original CD without pausing. Worst case is tired out and listening with headphones.

• Like 2

Seriously, I cannot make it through the original CD without pausing. Worst case is tired out and listening with headphones.

It took me about 10 listens before my mind could make sense of the original CD but after that I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

It took me about 10 listens before my mind could make sense of the original CD but after that I enjoyed it.

Same here. It needed a long time till I really enjoyed the album. Do you own the vinyl? If not go out and get it! It's well worth the money.

• Like 1

I've always liked the remixed version better. For, and to me, I've voted for the remixed.
  • Like 1

...but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.

The little guitar solo that was added into Ceiling Unlimited -- recorded during the original sessions, I'm assuming, but omitted in the original mix -- kills that section of the song for me. There's a reason why it was omitted in the original. And that's just an example of why the remix fails on certain songs. Why didn't Alex and/or Geddy supervise the remix instead of just handing it off to David Bottrill to do it by himself? As talented as Bottrill is, he wasn't there during the original recording sessions and wasn't privy to some of the decisions that were made during the mixing process, like the choice to not include that guitar solo in Ceiling. They probably would have said to not add that solo back in. And that goes for some vocal parts that were added in or over-emphasized on other songs.

Other songs like OLV sound better remixed. It still sounds like the OLV that we knew, but it sounds BETTER, and that's what frustrates me. That's what we wanted out of the remix for all the songs. Don't change the songs, just make them sound better.

I like the Ceiling solo.

I like the Ceiling solo.

I liked that section the way it was. Just power chords with Geddy's busy bass and Neil's power drumming underneath. It was my favorite part of the song, and that noodly little nothing of a solo ruined it for me.

• Like 5

I like the Ceiling solo.

I liked that section the way it was. Just power chords with Geddy's busy bass and Neil's power drumming underneath. It was my favorite part of the song, and that noodly little nothing of a solo ruined it for me.

Yeah it's far better.

• Like 2

I like the Ceiling solo.

Yeah it's far better.

I did dislike the changes to Secret Touch but I live with it. Its a minor gripe.

• Like 2

I have to say that I prefer the 2002 original version of Vapor Trails. The Remixed version is cleaner and you can hear some vocal parts better and some guitar leads better, but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.

Right, I prefer the muddy testicles one too

Right, I prefer the muddy testicles one too

It's heavier too!

• Like 1

I was so eager that my favourite band had bounced back from ‘Circumstances’ with a new album,I bought a carton of piss and a pizza and I swear to God I don’t think I got to track 6 before I had to give up.There was some good songs in there but LOUD doesn’t mean heavier.I mean I love metal and I am old bastard from way back from Sabbath to Slayer but this was just loud noise.But I persevered because it was Rush and it gradually sunk in,some of it.If people like the original that’s ok with me because they were most likely brought up with the loudness wars but the remix brings back separation and clarity.If you want balls I will plug in my Marshall amp stack and show you what balls is.Just my little rant Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1

VT was also three songs too long. They could've easily left off the weaker tunes without losing anything. The album should've ended after Sweet Miracle or perhaps Secret Touch

Agreed.I don’t like Fear,even the remix and Cradle fills out CD space.Gone are the days when in the age of vinyl you tried to make those 35 to 45 minutes count
  • Like 3

OLV better in remix but rest of it a disaster for various reasons, thus my VT playlist is OLV remixed + the rest original

Multiple instances of some kind of static in remixed Peaceable Kingdom that not on original, clearly some kind of engineering error or something and is just unforgivable

What a word phrase to be thinking of by saying to describe music as having "No, balls". Just for describing a band, and group, and their music, who a person likes, and couldn't maybe try to think of something more on the terms of music related, then that. Another thing is, it's nearly the same thing as saying a band, and group, and their music, who a person likes uses the word "Shit" in a small sentence. What will some other people think of to post in, and on a thread in, and on a forum just for other people to read? I don't know. I don't think, and find that "Test For Echo" is, and has been bad. I think, and have always liked "Test For Echo". It is a very good Rush c.d., and album. Edited by Derek19

I love both. I treat each version like a different album. Vapor Trails is a searing, blistering set of emotionally charged attacks on the senses. The remix is a softer, polished compensation for the shite that was Test For Echo, with an overall different vibe.

I do favour the original, but I do particularly enjoy the remix on headphones.

• Like 1