Vapor Trails vs Vapor Trails Remixed - 17 years later.

treeduck

Vapor Trails which version do you prefer now  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition of Vapor Trails do you prefer now?

• Vapor Trails - the 2002 Original
    • Vapor Trails Remixed (2013)
    • I don't like the original and the remixed version did nothing to improve it

The original is one of the best albums they've ever recorded...sound issues and all.

I'll put on the remix sometimes to remind myself why I don't like it very much and to hear the differences

Damn!

I love your brutal honesty and love for this album.

I'm impressed.

Again, I loved this record when it came out.

Sadly. it has fallen from grace for my ears.

Enjoy my friend.

I do have one quick story about the R30 Tour at the Hollywood Bowl with me ex wife.

It was epic.

So we arrived at the Hollywood Bowl early but what I didn't know is that the parking there is a clusterfukk.

We all had to pile into a lot with cars parked in front of me and in the back.

So basically that means if I wanted to beat the Bowl crowd and leave a bit early I would still be fukked.

So Wendy and I and my buddy raced to our car to beat the traffic.

Yet when we arrived we were total stalemated.

Couldn't leave the parking lot until others from inside came out.

Horrific.

My ex wife turns to me and a few other Rush fans wanting to leave too and says......

"The way out is the way in."

I fukkin thought it was brilliant. I was in hysterics.

Maybe my ex wife of 19 years really did like RUSH.

Took her all around the country for 20 years to see the band.

Oh well.

Life goes on.

Ironic that I got divorced the same year RUSH retired.

Timing is everything.

Good luck to all of you in relationships.

I'll stick to RUSH and my right hand.

The original is one of the best albums they've ever recorded...sound issues and all.

I'll put on the remix sometimes to remind myself why I don't like it very much and to hear the differences

Life goes on.

Ironic that I got divorced the same year RUSH retired.

Timing is everything.

Good luck to all of you in relationships.

I'll stick to RUSH and my right hand.

I saw Rush at the Bowl for S/A - indeed f***ed for parking.

What happened in you marriage - don't need specifics, but why did it end. I'm 9 years into mine...

...but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.

The little guitar solo that was added into Ceiling Unlimited -- recorded during the original sessions, I'm assuming, but omitted in the original mix -- kills that section of the song for me. There's a reason why it was omitted in the original. And that's just an example of why the remix fails on certain songs. Why didn't Alex and/or Geddy supervise the remix instead of just handing it off to David Bottrill to do it by himself? As talented as Bottrill is, he wasn't there during the original recording sessions and wasn't privy to some of the decisions that were made during the mixing process, like the choice to not include that guitar solo in Ceiling. They probably would have said to not add that solo back in. And that goes for some vocal parts that were added in or over-emphasized on other songs.

Other songs like OLV sound better remixed. It still sounds like the OLV that we knew, but it sounds BETTER, and that's what frustrates me. That's what we wanted out of the remix for all the songs. Don't change the songs, just make them sound better.

Some songs benefitted, others got neutered, most notably Out Of The Cradle. The remix is not endlessly rocking.

• Like 1

the quintessential version is the Andy Vandette remaster. very hard to find but sounds great.

ANDY VANDETTE COMMENTS ON MIX OF LATEST "VAPOR TRAILS" DIGITAL RELEASE

On May 14th iTunes released two new digital only Rush collections, Rush The Complete Mercury Years, the complete Rush album collection from 1974-1987, as well as Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007. The collections are also available on HDTracks.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC
Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 2

I have to say that I prefer the 2002 original version of Vapor Trails. The Remixed version is cleaner and you can hear some vocal parts better and some guitar leads better, but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.

You couldn't be more wrong if you were British. You couldn't be more wrong if you were Bill Vinovich. The Remix retains the bad ass vibe while releasing audio nuance previously buried.

• Like 1

I have to say that I prefer the 2002 original version of Vapor Trails. The Remixed version is cleaner and you can hear some vocal parts better and some guitar leads better, but overall it waters down the rhythm guitars and totally neuters a lot of the songs particularly Ceiling Unlimited. It's the No Balls version.

You couldn't be more wrong if you were British. You couldn't be more wrong if you were Bill Vinovich. The Remix retains the bad ass vibe while releasing audio nuance previously buried.

Nah...

• Like 2

I view VT as an aural impressionist painting by Rush. It’s all fuzzy and unfocused, the edges are hard to define.

The songs are mostly good, some great, some ok.

Alex deciding to be anti-metal shredder by not taking any solos I don’t think helped the album at all.

To sum up: neither album mix sounds very good. I like the piece of work overall but it could’ve been better if they had a better producer guiding them.

• Like 1

Alex deciding to be anti-metal shredder by not taking any solos I don’t think helped the album at all.

Fortunately, the remixed Earthshine has a guitar solo. :)

• Like 1

Fortunately, the remixed Earthshine has a guitar solo. :)

Never understood why there needed to be a guitar solo. Every other record Rush recorded had them. One of the reasons I love the original so much.

I was so eager that my favourite band had bounced back from ‘Circumstances’ with a new album,I bought a carton of piss and a pizza and I swear to God I don’t think I got to track 6 before I had to give up.There was some good songs in there but LOUD doesn’t mean heavier.I mean I love metal and I am old bastard from way back from Sabbath to Slayer but this was just loud noise.But I persevered because it was Rush and it gradually sunk in,some of it.If people like the original that’s ok with me because they were most likely brought up with the loudness wars but the remix brings back separation and clarity.If you want balls I will plug in my Marshall amp stack and show you what balls is.Just my little rant

"a carton of piss and a pizza" :LOL:

Hearing the multiple bass tracks on a couple of the remixed songs is what sold me on VTOI. As some have said there, there are so many nuances and different things that you can hear. Now that some of the brick has been chipped away.

It sounds like a new album. Still prefer it to the original. When I play songs from VT, they're from VTOI.

• Like 1

Hearing the multiple bass tracks on a couple of the remixed songs is what sold me on VTOI. As some have said there, there are so many nuances and different things that you can hear. Now that some of the brick has been chipped away.

It sounds like a new album. Still prefer it to the original. When I play songs from VT, they're from VTOI.

What the f**k is VTOI?

• Like 2

I have both, compared the two, and found the remix more cleaner.

Having said that, I'm probably going to receive either a spank, a pulled tail or declawed.

:o

Hahahaha! I'm gonna pull your tail, give you a spanking and then declaw your front paws.

Silly kitty. "Vapor Trails" is for the dawgs.

Both mixes are "rough rough!" LOL!

You set me up for this one.

Love it.

Meow........

"Kitten's Got Claws." well not anymore.

Love,

WHITESNAKE

• Like 1

the quintessential version is the Andy Vandette remaster. very hard to find but sounds great.

On May 14th iTunes released two new digital only Rush collections, Rush The Complete Mercury Years, the complete Rush album collection from 1974-1987, as well as Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007. The collections are also available on HDTracks.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

I have listened to most of this remaster, and it seems to be a HUGHE Upgrade soundwise. To anyone who hasn't heard it , I recommed to check it out!

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

I have listened to most of this remaster, and it seems to be a HUGHE Upgrade soundwise. To anyone who hasn't heard it , I recommed to check it out!

Never heard this remaster...

• Like 1

I like the remix.

If I want it loud, there's a knob on my stereo for that.

Holy Smokes! Ken Jennings! How's it going stranger???

I prefer "I LOVE IT LOUD" Ken!!!

Love

KISS!

Saturday night with some buddies and my 81 year young dad!!!

Turn that knob up to 11! SPINAL TAP!!!

RUSH ON DUDE!

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

Never heard this remaster...

You aren't missing a thing my friend! Like your cool screen name. NA NA NA! Give me SHA NA NA instead of "Vape Trails." Those who vape on Vapor Trails might as well smoke crack rock. LOL!

Give some real ROCK!

TNT!

KROKUS!

ABBA!

LOL!

Cheers!

I have both, compared the two, and found the remix more cleaner.

Having said that, I'm probably going to receive either a spank, a pulled tail or declawed.

:o

Hahahaha! I'm gonna pull your tail, give you a spanking and then declaw your front paws.

Silly kitty. "Vapor Trails" is for the dawgs.

Both mixes are "rough rough!" LOL!

You set me up for this one.

Love it.

Meow........

"Kitten's Got Claws." well not anymore.

Love,

WHITESNAKE

waaaaaaiiiiiilllllllllllll............!! :scared:

• Like 1