Saints got robbed! No they didn't!

HemiBeers

The hubbub today is the missed pass interference call late in the Saints/Rams game that would have sealed the game for the Saints. Instead the focus should have been on the poor play choices in the final Saints series. Saints were deep and had a locked field goal for the win. They should have ran the ball 3 times, eat some clock and force the Rams to use all their timeouts. Instead, Payton tried to get cute with his play choices (as he commonly does) and pass on two of the 3 plays, both of which were incomplete. If the Saints ran the ball, they would have left the Rams with insufficient time and no timeouts which would have given them no chance to tie it.

Stop acting like the baby you are Payton and man up and admit your play calling made your team choke. Many times football is really basic, but that isn't enough for you so you have to show off your ego.

• Like 1

I disagree with this take.

The first down play wasn't what I would have called but Brees hit on about 85% of his passes with Thomas as his target. The pass falling incomplete changed the situation vs a run on the play from one where the Saints could have run the clock to just under a minute to about 1:40 with no timeouts were they to run on subsequent downs. And picking up around 5-7 yards would have changed the probability of a first down considerably as opposed to a line plunge, which would have pretty much iced the game; three line plunges had very little chance of success in terms of a first down.

The third down play, while not the highest percentage pass, was a successful play in that it should have drawn a flag 10 out of 10 times, for both PI and helmet to helmet. If the obvious, appropriate call would have been made, the win probability would have moved to 98-99% with only a chip shot FG to execute. Giving the Rams the ball with a minute and no TOs would have maybe given the Saints a 70-75% win probability, 50% in OT and about a 50% chance of keeping the Rams out of FG range.

The lack of a call cost the Saints the game, not Payton's play calling. If you want to criticize Payton for play calling, the sequence in the first quarter when they were up 3-0 and gave up a chance to go up 10-0 by executing an extremely conservative play with a very low chance of success to settle for a field goal is a far better candidate.

• Like 1

They got hosed, but I look at it as karma for the Brett Favre Bountygate game years ago.

What I want to know is why no is screaming about the Chiefs dude that lined up offsides and cost them the game. Fans wish death on a kicker for a missing relatively easy kick. What's easier than lining up?

• Like 4

Same idiocy that cost the Seahawks the super bowl a few years ago. Coaches trying to be too smart for their own good. Without all the whining about the missed call we'd be discussing Payton' s playcalling. Glad it happened...payton is an arrogant little f**k.
  • Like 1

Someone from the NFL called Sean Payton to apologize and admit they blew the call. A call that directly affected the outcome of the game. Your hate for him is clouding your judgement.

The Roger Goodell could right this wrong and rehabilitate his reputation at the same time.

Many times football is really basic,

Football is always basic.

You have the lead with a minute left.

You let the opponent go down the field and tie the game.

You get the ball first in OT, but you give it away.

You let the opponent go down the field and score.

You LOSE.

Sunday's loss was the Saints' fault. All the "should have's" and "would have's" that people are spewing are irrelevant.

• Like 2

You LOSE.

Sunday's loss was the Saints' fault. All the "should have's" and "would have's" that people are spewing are irrelevant.

Sauce and Shram had a great conversation along those lines. In the end, the Saints made numerous play-calling choices that put the regulation-time game at risk, and they failed to execute in overtime. The same is true of Kansas City, where poor clock management on the final drive (You're giving Tom Brady two minutes with the ball?) and overtime mistakes (three 3rd and longs and the Pats convert, then you make the pick but are lined up offside?) cost them the game.

Own your shortcomings. Congratulate the winners.

• Like 2

2rpbyt.jpg

dude FAKE NEWS. that's official's name is Bill Vinovich

Vince Ferragamo is pictured below on the right.

Jackie_Slater___Vince_Ferragamo_talk_LA__0_1979320_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Winner! I duped so many people on Fakebook. As a young teen I had a Ferragamo jersey, I gave it to my first girlfriend.

2rpbyt.jpg

Winner! I duped so many people on Fakebook. As a young teen I had a Ferragamo jersey, I gave it to my first girlfriend.

poor Vince

2rpbyt.jpg

Facebook. :LOL:

You LOSE.

Had the ref not blown the call, it almost surely would have never gotten to overtime. Why you can't understand that is baffling.

As for how they played afterwards, it's somewhat understandable considering what they'd just witnessed. Hell, even the defensive guy admitted he got up fully expecting a flag and admitted he got away with it.

But yeah, it's all on the Saints, who, by the way, I wanted to lose, but lose honestly.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

You LOSE.

Had the ref not blown the call, it almost surely would have never gotten to overtime. Why you can't understand that is baffling.

As for how they played afterwards, it's somewhat understandable considering what they'd just witnessed. Hell, even the defensive guy admitted he got up fully expecting a flag and admitted he got away with it.

But yeah, it's all on the Saints, who, by the way, I wanted to lose, but lose honestly.

:goodone:

If the refs had done their job, all the Saints would have had to do is run a minute off the clock with kneeldowns and execute a kick easier than an extra point, which is about a 98-99% probability. Instead, they in essence had to win the game twice. They were completely robbed, and if it was your team this happened to you'd (the generic you) be apoplectic, and rightly so.

At least those who say the call was atrocious, but it made me happy they lost are realists.

Having said that, the Louisiana attorney that sued the NFL to overturn the result should be laughed out of court.

• Like 1

You LOSE.

:goodone:

If the refs had done their job, all the Saints would have had to do is run a minute off the clock with kneeldowns and execute a kick easier than an extra point, which is about a 98-99% probability. Instead, they in essence had to win the game twice. They were completely robbed, and if it was your team this happened to you'd (the generic you) be apoplectic, and rightly so.

At least those who say the call was atrocious, but it made me happy they lost are realists.

Having said that, the Louisiana attorney that sued the NFL to overturn the result should be laughed out of court.

Some eye doctor down that way offered free exams to any referee from that game who wanted one.

You LOSE.

Had the ref not blown the call, it almost surely would have never gotten to overtime.

Thanks for proving my point. :LOL:

You LOSE.

Had the ref not blown the call, it almost surely would have never gotten to overtime.

I dont see how that proves your point, unless your point is that the only thing that matters is what actually does occur, which may be ultimately true but also means that everyone deserves what happens to them. No allowances for refs who are paid off, the losing team should be able to overcome that or they're still losers. And why stop at football, we can apply that to every aspect of life. Peart has his answer why children were born only to suffer. It just doesn't matter, the question is irrelevant, they deserve it.

If the officials had called Jared Cook out of bounds and the call wasn't overturned against the Cowboys a couple of years ago, would you have been so sanguine about it?

If the Saints would have failed at two of the most automatic tasks in the NFL, then they'd have deserved mockery and calling them losers could be justified. Instead, the game was decided by something out of their control, by actors other than them failing at their job. But maybe, unlike the Rams, they should have just built a bigger lead.

• Like 1

You LOSE.

I don't see how that proves your point, unless your point is that the only thing that matters is what actually does occur, which may be ultimately true but also means that everyone deserves what happens to them.

The only point I've been making is that the bad call by the official did not lose the game for the Saints. That's it.

Saints fans and even the team are blaming the officials for the loss. It's classic scapegoating.

• Like 1

You LOSE.

I don't see how that proves your point, unless your point is that the only thing that matters is what actually does occur, which may be ultimately true but also means that everyone deserves what happens to them.

The only point I've been making is that the bad call by the official did not lose the game for the Saints. That's it.

Correct. The call did not lose the game. The no-call did result in the game going into overtime, where the Saints won the coin toss and got the football, as I recall. The Rams defense stepped up and won the game with pressure and an interception. The Saints choked in overtime, and that's the real story.