Video interview with Geddy and Alex at RRHOF link

blueschica

Oh brother, Alex just said I hope it never stops ( writing music together )which is just going to fuel the fires even further.......
  • Like 1

That was cool...especially the little hints about making music.

They sort of used my question from the stream, but someone else had it as well: 'are there any basses that you really want but that have been difficult to find?' Geddy sort of answered it but not specific examples.

• Like 1

They sort of used my question from the stream, but someone else had it as well: 'are there any basses that you really want but that have been difficult to find?' Geddy sort of answered it but not specific examples.

Cool question! I noticed his vague answer too. It made me wonder if he doesn't want to be avalanched with offers and huge price tags if he named his holy grail. Didn't someone on here say once that he has Scully, etc. do his buying so that the price doesn't get put way up? It wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Cool question! I noticed his vague answer too. It made me wonder if he doesn't want to be avalanched with offers and huge price tags if he named his holy grail. Didn't someone on here say once that he has Scully, etc. do his buying so that the price doesn't get put way up? It wouldn't surprise me.

I think I heard him mention a limited edition Rickenbacker with little lights in it during one of his recent radio interviews. Can't quite remember during which interview he mentioned this particular bass though :o Maybe it was during the interview with the Toronto DJ last month.

Oops, that one is already in his collection (I've just listened to that interview again).

Just found the answer on https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/geddy_lee_reveals_rarest_basses_in_his_collection__basses_even_he_cant_track_down.html

Is there a Geddy Lee Holy Grail of bass guitars? Like, the one you're searching for? The one you just can't find anywhere?

"There are a few of those. One of them that I've been looking for, unsuccessfully - which is a bit of a surprise because it's not that old - it's a 1968 Fender Telecaster bass, it's what they call the Blue Flora.

"That's one that eluded me. They made two to celebrate the Summer of Love in 1968, basically the body style of the first bass, but they covered one in literally pink wallpaper and the other one in flora wallpaper.

"Also, anything from Fender from 1951 through 1964 in custom colors, they're hard to find in great condition. The same with Thunderbirds, which is a bass I never played through my career and discovered sort-of later in life."

Edited by Catch The Mystery
  • Like 2

Scully has videos on the web, so someone could easily be savvy enough to figure out that he's bidding for Geddy. Scully probably has Geddy's 'shopping list' but I think Geddy's got to the point where he's not necessarily starving for a specific holy grail. His collection is very diverse so it's probably more of what strikes him at the moment. As you eluded, a collector is putting themself out there as a potential sucker if he acts too desperate.

But I think Geddy would shit himself if he could own Chris Squires white Ricky.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Scully has videos on the web, so someone could easily be savvy enough to figure out that he's bidding for Geddy. Scully probably has Geddy's 'shopping list' but I think Geddy's got to the point where he's not necessarily starving for a specific holy grail. His collection is very diverse so it's probably more of what strikes him at the moment. As you eluded, a collector is putting themself out there as a potential sucker if he acts too desperate.

That one has been given to his youngest child (Xilan) after Squire passed away.

• Like 2

:ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

That's nice to hear since she is still very young (see below). Eventually that will likely surface as something that would be sold. It's such a major part of Chris' career that it would be a shame to just retire it from use.

https://www.tumblr.com/search/xilan%20squire

• Like 2

That's nice to hear since she is still very young (see below). Eventually that will likely surface as something that would be sold. It's such a major part of Chris' career that it would be a shame to just retire it from use.

https://www.tumblr.c...ch/xilan squire

She is still young indeed. Billy Sherwood told me this a while ago. In my heart I hope she'll never part with it later in life.

Edited by Catch The Mystery

Is there a recording of this interview anywhere

https://www.facebook.com/rockandrollhalloffame/videos/380766099346430/

It looks like a photo; you have to move the slider on the bottom to about 16:30 and the interview will start ( RRHOF had a few problems getting it started I guess.)

• Like 1

I would've asked Geddy in the Q&A portion of the interview why he didn't join Alex onstage with Kim Mitchell at the Andy Kim Christmas benefit concert in Toronto last month to perform 'Battle Scar'.

Does seem odd but I reckon he was probably away. It seems he spent Xmas time in London.

• Like 1

Is there a recording of this interview anywhere

https://www.facebook.com/rockandrollhalloffame/videos/380766099346430/

It looks like a photo; you have to move the slider on the bottom to about 16:30 and the interview will start ( RRHOF had a few problems getting it started I guess.)

cheers
  • Like 1

Skimmed through briefly for now but one sentence that stood out for me was when Al said they were done as a 'touring' band...

I’ve always said that they don’t have to tour anymore. I’ve been to my fair share of Rush shows. But please keep making new music! Even a song or two every now and then. I still believe that when you’re that creative for so long, it’s got to be hard to turn that creative switch off. Geddy’s book is a great example of that.

• Like 2

They both still seem quite disappointed that its over.

Yep.......these two aren't just going to sit around staring at the wall, even if that's what Neil's doing.

In the next few months, these two will make a plan. I'm betting they'll at least invite Neil, even if it's a likely "no." If/when Neil declines, they'll get someone else. Would they call it "Rush"? Probably not. But who cares? Touring? Maybe -- only time will tell.

Edited by Ron2112

Skimmed through briefly for now but one sentence that stood out for me was when Al said they were done as a 'touring' band...

I’ve always said that they don’t have to tour anymore. I’ve been to my fair share of Rush shows. But please keep making new music! Even a song or two every now and then. I still believe that when you’re that creative for so long, it’s got to be hard to turn that creative switch off. Geddy’s book is a great example of that.

Geddy’s book is an example that that creativity doesn’t need to be the same as they’ve always done - making music.

• Like 2

I’m guessing from what has been said that Geddy wants to sit down and make new music at some point, so it will come about when it comes about. Alex has shown up sitting in with someone recently, I forget who, so he clearly is still up for playing/performing.
  • Like 2

I think one could extrapolate from the 'touring' band remark, that Rush aren't retired. The band still exists as a functioning entity, just between albums as per usual.

Just a nice way to think if the thought of your fav rock outfit being finished makes you sad