RIP Bob Kuechenberg, 71, key member of only undefeated team in NFL history.

laughedatbytime

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-bob-kuechenberg-dies-20190113-story.html

He went to my high school and i knew his younger sister.

It's just a shame that as a lynchpin of the dominant offensive line for the only undefeated team in league history, his call for the Hall will be a posthumous one.

RIP :rose:

• Like 2

One of those names from the past that as an old school fan just sticks with you and is synonymous with football...RIP
  • Like 2

https://www.sun-sent...0113-story.html

It's just a shame that as a lynchpin of the dominant offensive line for the only undefeated team in league history, his call for the Hall will be a posthumous one.

Not Hall worthy. Solid career. But the Hall is for greats

Which Kooch was. Kooch, Langer and Little, the heart of the Miami offense that won back to back Super Bowls, went to three in a row, and won 57 regular season games in 5 years, including the only perfect season.

Dominated the great Alan Page so thoroughly in Super Bowl VIII that they devoted a whole segment at the top of the highlight film to it.

Which Kooch was. Kooch, Langer and Little, the heart of the Miami offense that won back to back Super Bowls, went to three in a row, and won 57 regular season games in 5 years, including the only perfect season.

Dominated the great Alan Page so thoroughly in Super Bowl VIII that they devoted a whole segment at the top of the highlight film to it.

Hate to inject this but politics sadly will keep him out...

I hadn't heard that, please tell me more.

Apparently he refused to visit the White House when the previous POTUS was in office when they where invited for an anniversary visit regarding their perfect season. Guessing it was 40 years at the time...

Apparently he refused to visit the White House when the previous POTUS was in office when they where invited for an anniversary visit regarding their perfect season. Guessing it was 40 years at the time...

I hadn't heard that. I'll have to see what effect it had on his vote total. That probably wasn't the best thing to do given that while he's worth being in the Hall of Fame it's not that he clears the bar all that much, especially when there are no stats to point to.

I hadn't heard that. I'll have to see what effect it had on his vote total. That probably wasn't the best thing to do given that while he's worth being in the Hall of Fame it's not that he clears the bar all that much, especially when there are no stats to point to.

Even though I personally don't think Curt Schilling is HOF worthy the same theory applies. A snowballs chance in hell...

Even though I personally don't think Curt Schilling is HOF worthy the same theory applies. A snowballs chance in hell...

Schilling is clearly HOF worthy,IMO and most statheads agree that he should be, even though sportswriters are almost monolithically PC. In his case, I do think his political stances, which are more well known than Kooch's, and much more incendiary, may keep him out but he is gaining momentum.

Curt Schilling didn't get into the Hall of Fame this time around, but the news was much better for the long-time right-handed pitcher than it was during the last voting cycle.

Thanks, at least in part, to Schilling tweeting that a shirt suggesting to lynch "the media" was "so much awesome," he lost support from some voters last year. His 52.3 percent figure from 2016 dipped to 45 percent. The news on Wednesday evening was that Schilling had gained back most of that lost support and now sits at 51.2 percent.

This was Schilling's sixth year on the ballot, so he has four chances left.

Further, four big names came off the ballot with this Hall of Fame announcement and only Mariano Rivera and Roy Halladay figure to leapfrog Schilling next year.

Only Edgar Martinez (who only has one chance left) and Mike Mussina appear to be in line in front of Schilling, too, so it seems reasonable to believe that Schilling is going to get into the Hall, likely before his last chance.

I know that Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are ahead of Schilling on a percentage basis, but due to their PED ties, I think it's going to be harder for them to make significant gains moving forward. The further away Schilling gets from what he said was a joke back in 2016, the more it's going to become water under the bridge, my gut says.

Schilling spent 20 years in the majors, going 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA (127 ERA+), 1.14 WHIP and 3,116 strikeouts against only 668 unintentional walks. He led the league in wins twice, complete games four times, innings twice, strikeouts twice, WHIP twice and strikeout-to-walk ratio five times. He finished second in Cy Young voting three times. Among modern pitchers with at least 3,000 innings, Schilling is the all-time leader in the strikeout-to-walk (4.38).

I feel like this is Hall-worthy anyway -- and WAR and JAWS show he's above the average Hall of Fame starting pitcher -- but the postseason is where things go to the next level. In 133 1/3 postseason innings, Schilling went 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 120 strikeouts, four complete games and two shutouts. That's half of a regular-season Cy Young campaign. He won three rings, the 1993 NLCS MVP and the 2001 World Series co-MVP.

The case says he should be in. The more the ballot clears out and Schilling doesn't again suggest lynching journalists, the more support his Hall of Fame case will gain. So long as he doesn't anger a decent percentage of Hall voters again, he likely earns induction in a few years.

https://www.cbssport...s-are-on-track/

Edited by laughedatbytime

Schilling is clearly HOF worthy,IMO and most statheads agree that he should be, even though sportswriters are almost monolithically PC. In his case, I do think his political stances, which are more well known than Kooch's, and much more incendiary, may keep him out but he is gaining momentum.

Curt Schilling didn't get into the Hall of Fame this time around, but the news was much better for the long-time right-handed pitcher than it was during the last voting cycle.

Thanks, at least in part, to Schilling tweeting that a shirt suggesting to lynch "the media" was "so much awesome," he lost support from some voters last year. His 52.3 percent figure from 2016 dipped to 45 percent. The news on Wednesday evening was that Schilling had gained back most of that lost support and now sits at 51.2 percent.

Further, four big names came off the ballot with this Hall of Fame announcement and only Mariano Rivera and Roy Halladay figure to leapfrog Schilling next year.

Only Edgar Martinez (who only has one chance left) and Mike Mussina appear to be in line in front of Schilling, too, so it seems reasonable to believe that Schilling is going to get into the Hall, likely before his last chance.

I know that Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are ahead of Schilling on a percentage basis, but due to their PED ties, I think it's going to be harder for them to make significant gains moving forward. The further away Schilling gets from what he said was a joke back in 2016, the more it's going to become water under the bridge, my gut says.

Schilling spent 20 years in the majors, going 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA (127 ERA+), 1.14 WHIP and 3,116 strikeouts against only 668 unintentional walks. He led the league in wins twice, complete games four times, innings twice, strikeouts twice, WHIP twice and strikeout-to-walk ratio five times. He finished second in Cy Young voting three times. Among modern pitchers with at least 3,000 innings, Schilling is the all-time leader in the strikeout-to-walk (4.38).

I feel like this is Hall-worthy anyway -- and WAR and JAWS show he's above the average Hall of Fame starting pitcher -- but the postseason is where things go to the next level. In 133 1/3 postseason innings, Schilling went 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 120 strikeouts, four complete games and two shutouts. That's half of a regular-season Cy Young campaign. He won three rings, the 1993 NLCS MVP and the 2001 World Series co-MVP.

The case says he should be in. The more the ballot clears out and Schilling doesn't again suggest lynching journalists, the more support his Hall of Fame case will gain. So long as he doesn't anger a decent percentage of Hall voters again, he likely earns induction in a few years.

I get the postseason thing but 216 he's in 20 years just doesn't sit well with me. I always considered myself somewhat of a baseball expert from a historical perspective before I gave up on it post McGuire/Sosa home run derby. Games seemingly dragging on and on put the final nail in the coffin. Typically when it comes to the hall in any sport I use my "first reaction" criteria if I followed the sport closely during their career. Using that Kooch passes and Schilling fails. I always hear so many that don't consider Joe Namath hall of famer based on stats but I highly doubt they ever saw him play in his prime pre debilitating injuries for example...

I get the postseason thing but 216 he's in 20 years just doesn't sit well with me. I always considered myself somewhat of a baseball expert from a historical perspective before I gave up on it post McGuire/Sosa home run derby. Games seemingly dragging on and on put the final nail in the coffin. Typically when it comes to the hall in any sport I use my "first reaction" criteria if I followed the sport closely during their career. Using that Kooch passes and Schilling fails. I always hear so many that don't consider Joe Namath hall of famer based on stats but I highly doubt they ever saw him play in his prime pre debilitating injuries for example...

I didn't see Namath play more than a couple of times, and statically you could argue that he didn't measure up, but a) it is a Hall of Fame after all, b ) you can't measure the QBs, especially of the old AFL, by the same standards as today's QBs, it's a totally different position, and c) no one is saying (nor should they) that Gale Sayers should be kicked out when his longevity was worse than Namath's...when you have comets streak across the sky like that (whether or not they're Kansas Comets), acknowledging their contribution with a bust seems fitting.

I didn't see Namath play more than a couple of times, and statically you could argue that he didn't measure up, but a) it is a Hall of Fame after all, b ) you can't measure the QBs, especially of the old AFL, by the same standards as today's QBs, it's a totally different position, and c) no one is saying (nor should they) that Gale Sayers should be kicked out when his longevity was worse than Namath's...when you have comets streak across the sky like that (whether or not they're Kansas Comets), acknowledging their contribution with a bust seems fitting.

Yep whenever I think about the "comet" theory and the hall Sayers and Koufax are always my examples. Sometimes someone is so above the rest albeit for a relatively short time(injuries of course) they have to go in. I think Bo in football would have been such a player had his hip injury been 3 or so years later...
  • Like 1

Still not Hall-worthy. At least not as I envision who should be in the Hall. Even if he was very good, that's not Hall material.

Still not Hall-worthy. At least not as I envision who should be in the Hall. Even if he was very good, that's not Hall material.

He and the offensive line not only dominated the Super Bowl in 1973, but also the vaunted Oakland Raider defense in the AFC Championship game. 53 rushes, 266 yards, and only one run over 16 yards. Maybe the best running/offensive line performance in a big game in the merger era.

Kooch belongs in Canton.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197312300mia.htm

Edited by laughedatbytime