Clockwork Angels Epiphany

tks95747

I remember Nick passively aggressively telling fans not to complain about the mix too when the album came out. Not a good sign if even HE knew it was a hot mess but wanted everyone to look past it

Ok, did the boys not listen to it, and form an opinion? I don.t get it.

If you think about it Rush has never been all that great at not giving the collective thumbs down to questionable production jobs: Case(s) in point: Presto, Roll The Bones,Vapor Trails...

I love the production on Roll The Bones.

Ever since "Clockwork Angels" came out, and when I bought it on c.d. to listen to it from start to finish, I have always liked it a lot, and it is a really good, and great c.d., and album. At the time, I wasn't thinking, and expecting it would've been Rush's last studio release. I miss not seeing, and hearing any news about Geddy, Alex, and Neil, going into a studio together as a band, and group to record anymore music. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 3

If you think about it Rush has never been all that great at not giving the collective thumbs down to questionable production jobs: Case(s) in point: Presto, Roll The Bones,Vapor Trails...

I love the production on Roll The Bones.

You're definitely in the minority on that one, bud ;)

The songs are mostly very good. Dreamline, Bravado, Ghost are some of the best ones they ever wrote especially from that era of their career.

However... my God, that soft poppy no edge or balls or grit whatsoever Rupert Hine production job. Not a loud guitar or crunching chord to be heard anywhere. Neil's tinny drums. Ged's doinky Wal bass

Thankfully they righted the ship on Counterparts

• Like 1

I remember listening to CA during the weeks leading up to the first show of the tour which I was lucky enough to attend. I didn't listen to it very repeatedly, so I hadn't gotten super familiar with the songs, life was too busy at the time. We went to the show, and in chatting with another fan after, they were like wow! great show! what are your favorite songs off of the new album!? I remember telling them.. "well,... I don't know the name yet, but it's that kind of slow song at the end" Oy.

I would listen to the album off and on, but I didn't really focus on it because I was listening to a bunch of other artists whose shows were coming up on my radar, too.

Fast forward to 2015 for R40, and I've got the album on repeat play while I paint the entire interior of our house about a month or so before the tour. I absolutely became enthralled with this album, absorbing the sounds and lyrics like I hadn't in the past. CA is my #1 favorite. I still love Signals, and HYF, but in different ways than I do CA.

• Like 6

I remember listening to CA during the weeks leading up to the first show of the tour which I was lucky enough to attend. I didn't listen to it very repeatedly, so I hadn't gotten super familiar with the songs, life was too busy at the time. We went to the show, and in chatting with another fan after, they were like wow! great show! what are your favorite songs off of the new album!? I remember telling them.. "well,... I don't know the name yet, but it's that kind of slow song at the end" Oy.

I would listen to the album off and on, but I didn't really focus on it because I was listening to a bunch of other artists whose shows were coming up on my radar, too.

Fast forward to 2015 for R40, and I've got the album on repeat play while I paint the entire interior of our house about a month or so before the tour. I absolutely became enthralled with this album, absorbing the sounds and lyrics like I hadn't in the past. CA is my #1 favorite. I still love Signals, and HYF, but in different ways than I do CA.

Hi! I don't remember seeing you around before!

Great post. Your warming up to CA is very similar to my experience with Roll The Bones.

• Like 1

Great post. Your warming up to CA is very similar to my experience with Roll The Bones.

I'm such a noob compared to.. well.. everyone else here!

I showed up last summer/early fall, in a quest to find other people who might be attending GUP IV :)

I can't believe I missed out on all the years of Rush socializing by not realizing this forum existed. *sigh*

• Like 1

I'm such a noob compared to.. well.. everyone else here!

I showed up last summer/early fall, in a quest to find other people who might be attending GUP IV :)

I can't believe I missed out on all the years of Rush socializing by not realizing this forum existed. *sigh*

You are here now! :hi: :hi:

• Like 4

Welcome Felicia :hi: I am solidly in the camp of Clockwork Angels. I listened to it over and over, finding excuses to go for a drive so I could crank it up. I was a late comer too, showed up after Beyond the LIghted Stage popped up on my tv and I have hung around here since. GUP is my favorite album but CA and VT come in after that. Carnies is my fav, love the way they triple the line several times in the song (probably not describing it right, :eh: ).

So glad I got to see 3 of their concerts, they did a great job on all I saw too. Heard Geddy on the Trunk show recently and he was glad they had such a good R40 tour.

• Like 5

Welcome Felicia :hi: I am solidly in the camp of Clockwork Angels. I listened to it over and over, finding excuses to go for a drive so I could crank it up. I was a late comer too, showed up after Beyond the LIghted Stage popped up on my tv and I have hung around here since. GUP is my favorite album but CA and VT come in after that. Carnies is my fav, love the way they triple the line several times in the song (probably not describing it right, :eh: ).

So glad I got to see 3 of their concerts, they did a great job on all I saw too. Heard Geddy on the Trunk show recently and he was glad they had such a good R40 tour.

I love your top three!

Currently, my favourite Rush albums are Permanent Waves, Roll The Bones and Vapor Trails. But Grace Under Pressure is also right up near the top!

• Like 2

Felicia, I haven't been posting on, and in here long, and it's been recent, too. I've seen this website, and read some of what is on, and in it, but I didn't sign up to post anything before, though.

I liked CA when it first came out.

It hasn't aged well for me.

I don't listen to it anymore.

That doesn't sound like the AG I used to know...people's tastes change I guess... good music doesn't change in my mind...always been that way for me...

2QaJ2Se.jpg

That doesn't sound like the AG I used to know...people's tastes change I guess... good music doesn't change in my mind...always been that way for me...

2QaJ2Se.jpg

"Doesn't sound like the AG you used to know"... :eh:

I've never claimed to like everything in Rush's discography.

I've always been critical and opinionated about the songs I don't like and what I don't like about them.

I've never been anything other than exactly this person on line. Never.

Go suck an egg, ORF. I didn't ask you for your opinion of me, nor your opinion of CA.

• Like 1

2QaJ2Se.jpg

I've always been critical and opinionated about the songs I don't like and what I don't like about them.

Go suck an egg, ORF. I didn't ask you for your opinion of me, nor your opinion of CA.

Now THAT sounds like the AG I can’t say I knew, but who I did meet once. ;)

• Like 2

Ill pull out VT on occasion. Snakes once in awhile just to hear Far Cry or MalNar. But CA is pretty much a drink coaster. I can't get into it, the songs are too long, too convoluted, badly mixed and I can't make out 90% of what Lee is singing

Loved it from day one. Not quite on par with most of the Terry Brown stuff, but better than everything else.

This album doesn't come close to Grace Under Pressure, or anything from HYF to Counterparts, VT and arguably SA.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything up the S&A comment...
  • Like 1

2QaJ2Se.jpg

Abolutely did NOT mean to offend you AG. You were always one of my favorite people on CP. Didn't we connect on Billy Thorpes' "Children Of The Sun" album? I remember that deal...And Yes, I remember your 'attitude' from back then, but I never begrudged you of it. Like I said, I've always liked you. Sorry to have overreached in the last post. I just assumed people on a RUSH board generally liked all of their music like I do. My bad.

JfBqEb7.jpg

2QaJ2Se.jpg

Abolutely did NOT mean to offend you AG. You were always one of my favorite people on CP. Didn't we connect on Billy Thorpes' "Children Of The Sun" album? I remember that deal...And Yes, I remember your 'attitude' from back then, but I never begrudged you of it. Like I said, I've always liked you. Sorry to have overreached in the last post. I just assumed people on a RUSH board generally liked all of their music like I do. My bad.

JfBqEb7.jpg

"I just assumed people on a RUSH board generally liked all of their music like I do."

Now THAT is one exponential leap...

• Like 1

2QaJ2Se.jpg

JfBqEb7.jpg

"I just assumed people on a RUSH board generally liked all of their music like I do."

Now THAT is one exponential leap...

This has been one of the things I've learned here at TRF!

t1Qf8U0.gif

• Like 1

I loved CA when it came out and still do. The Garden is a masterpiece and is so fitting to be the last song on the last Rush album.

I agree... It drips with emotion...
  • Like 2

I loved CA when it came out and still do. The Garden is a masterpiece and is so fitting to be the last song on the last Rush album.

I agree... It drips with emotion...

sap?
  • Like 2