Sector Box Sets

Segue Myles

I really want these sets. I here these are the best sounding CD remasters and I would love to have a tidier Rush collection. But I also know there are reported faults in some of these discs.

Do any of you guys know how to identify a good edition from a bad edition (barcodes etc)? I know initial pressings of the first and second Sectors had faults with the Fly By Night CD and the AFTK DVD. Some have complained about the harsh sound of ATWAS too.

Are they bad, or worthy replacements for my current 1997 remasters (which take up a fair amount of room!).

• Like 2

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!
  • Like 2

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Hey Man,

The Sector sets are fine, much better than the 1997 remasters.

You should look into the SHM CDs instead.

The sound is far superior.

They are a bit pricey, but after shelling out the hard earned dough, they are worth it.

• Like 3

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Especially as HMV might well be going into administration... Not sure about online though. :sigh:

• Like 1

Especially as HMV might well be going into administration... Not sure about online though. :sigh:

I will miss HMV.

• Like 1

I will miss HMV.

This makes me remember the good ol' days of discovering and buying records. For me, it was an event. I planned my day around going into Manhattan and going from record store to records store. Big ones - Tower Records,J&R. Little ones - Bleeker Bob's, Second Coming Records. Hours flipping through bins and debating what to spend my budget on. Those days are gone. Downloading and streaming has changed the music fan's landscape.

• Like 1

I will miss HMV.

This makes me remember the good ol' days of discovering and buying records. For me, it was an event. I planned my day around going into Manhattan and going from record store to records store. Big ones - Tower Records,J&R. Little ones - Bleeker Bob's, Second Coming Records. Hours flipping through bins and debating what to spend my budget on. Those days are gone. Downloading and streaming has changed the music fan's landscape.

Give me the old days,anytime.
  • Like 1

I have Sector 2 and 3 and they sound fantastic on my man cave multi separates set up.But they even sound just as great on our house Technics 4 in 1.Go for it.
  • Like 1

Buy from amazon then?

• Like 1

Buy from amazon then?

I want to know identifying traits to make sure the edition of the box set is one with the initial flaws corrected

• Like 1

Buy from amazon then?

I want to know identifying traits to make sure the edition of the box set is one with the initial flaws corrected

Then I guess you got a problem...

• Like 1

The Sectors blow the '97 remasters away, but that's not saying much. Just about every other CD release sounds better. The Sector design, art and liners are cool but they condense everything into those three booklets and not in the context of the albums (the only thing the '97's got right.) Style but little substance.
  • Like 1

Buy from amazon then?

Then I guess you got a problem...

not a problem at all

the flawed discs are well-documented

• Like 1

in my travels I have found that most used box sets I have handled at used stores contain the faulty discs

best if you can physically check the matrix (that's the fine print around the center ring of the disc itself) before buying

Sector 1

Problem: Fly By Night CD

Error matrix: DIDX-778016 1

Correct matrix: DIDX-794835 1

Sector 2

Problem: A Farewell To Kings DVD

Error matrix: DVSS-3157140A1

Correct matrix: DVSS-3358580A1

Sector 3

No errors

Tai Shan is a slightly different master (wind chimes in intro are now present)

there are different vocal takes used for Analog Kid and Subdivisions on the DVD audio

• Like 1

in my travels I have found that most used box sets I have handled at used stores contain the faulty discs

best if you can physically check the matrix (that's the fine print around the center ring of the disc itself) before buying

Sector 1

Problem: Fly By Night CD

Error matrix: DIDX-778016 1

Correct matrix: DIDX-794835 1

Sector 2

Problem: A Farewell To Kings DVD

Error matrix: DVSS-3157140A1

Correct matrix: DVSS-3358580A1

Sector 3

No errors

Tai Shan is a slightly different master (wind chimes in intro are now present)

there are different vocal takes used for Analog Kid and Subdivisions on the DVD audio

Are the errors on Fly By Night really bad? I do want these sets but it's really hard to find any sellers willing to unseal the box set AND check (I have tried) and I know of no stores that have any available to buy

• Like 1

they are minor issues to many - quick dropouts of music in the stereo channels etc

there are other similar issues across other discs in the sets - added drum sounds, keyboards mixed differently, enhanced effects, different vocal takes and so forth

I think when you're considering re-investing in music you've listened to for many years and/or you crave the best possible versions for critical listening, little errors can go a long way to discouraging the purchase

I pulled the trigger on a used Sector Three a while ago and was pleased (that used price reflected the value to me, 'errors' and all)

your safest bet in 2019?

order from Amazon (and be sure the listing says 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com')

if you get the corrected boxes, you're all set

if you get 'old stock' Amazon will refund/replace no questions asked, and you can try again

• Like 1

Are these sets better than the 1997 remasters for audio?

The boxes are brilliant little brother. There were issues with "Fly By Night" and "A Farewell To Kings" during the first pressing. They mailed me the corrected versions. EPIC SOUND! However I agree,

GET THE JAPANESE SHM CDS!!!!!!!

Timing is everything. Listening to MP right now on SHM! EPIC! Cardboard mini LP sleeve and obi strip too! The complete package!!!!

The boxes are brilliant little brother. There were issues with "Fly By Night" and "A Farewell To Kings" during the first pressing. They mailed me the corrected versions. EPIC SOUND! However I agree,

Timing is everything. Listening to MP right now on SHM! EPIC! Cardboard mini LP sleeve and obi strip too! The complete package!!!!

Great that you love your CD's Earl, but seriously, soundwise they're nothing compared to the HD-Tracks!!! If you go the digital way than check them out. It's simple math, mate. What do you think sounds better?

CD:

Resolution: 16-bit

Samplerate: 44,100 Hz

HD-Tracks:

Resolution: up to 32-bit

Samplerate: up to 192,000 Hz

or even better, forget the digital shite (except the pretty new DSD format, which contains a samplerate up to 512 times that of a CD!!!), so sit back, relax and go back to the medium that music was originally made for. VINYL rulez!!!!

signed

The Analog Kid

• Like 1

Great that you love your CD's Earl, but seriously, soundwise they're nothing compared to the HD-Tracks!!! If you go the digital way than check them out. It's simple math, mate. What do you think sounds better?

CD:

Resolution: 16-bit

Samplerate: 44,100 Hz

HD-Tracks:

Resolution: up to 32-bit

Samplerate: up to 192,000 Hz

or even better, forget the digital shite (except the pretty new DSD format, which contains a samplerate up to 512 times that of a CD!!!), so sit back, relax and go back to the medium that music was originally made for. VINYL rulez!!!!

signed

The Analog Kid

Holy Shit Digital Man! YOU ROCK!!!!

I am old school but hell yes, HD RULES!!! I wish Steven Wilson would remaster all the Rush stuff!

Yes I am an audiophile junky too but I am addicted to the Japanese cd pressings like a crack whore snorting a line of sugar on San Pablo Ave!

Vinyl does RULE!

My home theater sounds tits though bud. Love the 5.1 surround. I have two subs behind my couches for extra punch!

I know the early cd pressings of Rush music sound like shite.

Apple Music and downloads are like a brown stool brigade in my Rush underoos.

I understand and yes, you are correct.

HD is the best way.

I have all the MFSL gold cds. SACD. XRCD Japan.

DCC Gold 24 karat cds mastered by the great Steve Hoffmann.

Damn.

I remember the day when "Hemispheres" came out pressed on a gold cd. I almost shit gold bricks myself.

I still have my Japanese MFSL pressing of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."

Still love the warmth of that disc.

You and I should start an Audiophile Podcast.

R Rated and unedited of course.

We would knock it out of the park!

"Knock It Dead Kid."

Love,

Motley Crue

• Like 1