Jump to content


Sector Box Sets

Segue Myles

  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37547 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:04 PM

I really want these sets. I here these are the best sounding CD remasters and I would love to have a tidier Rush collection. But I also know there are reported faults in some of these discs.

Do any of you guys know how to identify a good edition from a bad edition (barcodes etc)? I know initial pressings of the first and second Sectors had faults with the Fly By Night CD and the AFTK DVD. Some have complained about the harsh sound of ATWAS too.

Are they bad, or worthy replacements for my current 1997 remasters (which take up a fair amount of room!).

Sponsored Post

#2 canadianice

canadianice

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

I have owned them since day 1, no problems, they all sound fantastic,

#3 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

    Swedish Gedneck

  • Members *
  • 19251 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

#4 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37547 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Edited by Segue Myles, 30 December 2018 - 03:38 PM.


#5 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 21120 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:53rd & 3rd

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Hey Man,

The Sector sets are fine, much better than the 1997 remasters.

You should look into the SHM CDs instead.

The sound is far superior.

They are a bit pricey, but after shelling out the hard earned dough, they are worth it.



#6 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84680 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:09 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Especially as HMV might well be going into administration... Not sure about online though. :sigh:

#7 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37547 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:27 AM

View PostBabycat, on 31 December 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Especially as HMV might well be going into administration... Not sure about online though. :sigh:

I will miss HMV.

#8 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 19689 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 31 December 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Especially as HMV might well be going into administration... Not sure about online though. :sigh:

I will miss HMV.
This makes me remember the good ol' days of discovering and buying records. For me, it was an event. I planned my day around going into Manhattan and going from record store to records store. Big ones - Tower Records,J&R. Little ones - Bleeker Bob's, Second Coming Records. Hours flipping through bins and debating what to spend my budget on. Those days are gone. Downloading and streaming has changed the music fan's landscape.

#9 canadianice

canadianice

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3700 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostReRushed, on 31 December 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 31 December 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Especially as HMV might well be going into administration... Not sure about online though. :sigh:

I will miss HMV.
This makes me remember the good ol' days of discovering and buying records. For me, it was an event. I planned my day around going into Manhattan and going from record store to records store. Big ones - Tower Records,J&R. Little ones - Bleeker Bob's, Second Coming Records. Hours flipping through bins and debating what to spend my budget on. Those days are gone. Downloading and streaming has changed the music fan's landscape.
Give me the old days,anytime.

#10 grasbo

grasbo

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1040 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:australia
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

I have Sector 2 and 3 and they sound fantastic on my man cave multi separates set up.But they even sound just as great on our house Technics 4 in 1.Go for it.

#11 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

    Swedish Gedneck

  • Members *
  • 19251 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Buy from amazon then?

#12 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37547 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 31 December 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Buy from amazon then?

I want to know identifying traits to make sure the edition of the box set is one with the initial flaws corrected

#13 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

    Swedish Gedneck

  • Members *
  • 19251 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 31 December 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Buy from amazon then?

I want to know identifying traits to make sure the edition of the box set is one with the initial flaws corrected

Then I guess you got a problem...

#14 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2166 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

I listen to the Sector box sets more than any other version. I have a couple MFSL versions than sound a little better.

#15 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4827 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

The Sectors blow the '97 remasters away, but that's not saying much. Just about every other CD release sounds better.  The Sector design, art and liners are cool but they condense everything into those three booklets and not in the context of the albums (the only thing the '97's got right.)  Style but little substance.

#16 skullchrist

skullchrist

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

Nice vinyl collection.  Keep it up!

#17 ghostworks

ghostworks

    The God Of Pants

  • Members
  • 14124 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:uoᴉʇɐɔo˥
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostYYZumbi, on 31 December 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 December 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 31 December 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 30 December 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

These sector boxes is very good ones! I think they fixed those faults. I think they got replaced! So as long as you buy the boxes in a real store, I dont think there will be any problems!

There are very few UK record stores outside one chain and they don't stock the sets in-store or online anymore.

Buy from amazon then?

I want to know identifying traits to make sure the edition of the box set is one with the initial flaws corrected

Then I guess you got a problem...
not a problem at all

the flawed discs are well-documented

#18 ghostworks

ghostworks

    The God Of Pants

  • Members
  • 14124 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:uoᴉʇɐɔo˥
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

in my travels I have found that most used box sets I have handled at used stores contain the faulty discs

best if you can physically check the matrix (that's the fine print around the center ring of the disc itself) before buying

Sector 1
Problem: Fly By Night CD
Error matrix: DIDX-778016 1
Correct matrix: DIDX-794835 1

Sector 2
Problem: A Farewell To Kings DVD
Error matrix: DVSS-3157140A1
Correct matrix: DVSS-3358580A1

Sector 3
No errors
Tai Shan is a slightly different master (wind chimes in intro are now present)
there are different vocal takes used for Analog Kid and Subdivisions on the DVD audio

#19 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 37547 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

View Postghostworks, on 30 January 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

in my travels I have found that most used box sets I have handled at used stores contain the faulty discs

best if you can physically check the matrix (that's the fine print around the center ring of the disc itself) before buying

Sector 1
Problem: Fly By Night CD
Error matrix: DIDX-778016 1
Correct matrix: DIDX-794835 1

Sector 2
Problem: A Farewell To Kings DVD
Error matrix: DVSS-3157140A1
Correct matrix: DVSS-3358580A1

Sector 3
No errors
Tai Shan is a slightly different master (wind chimes in intro are now present)
there are different vocal takes used for Analog Kid and Subdivisions on the DVD audio

Are the errors on Fly By Night really bad? I do want these sets but it's really hard to find any sellers willing to unseal the box set AND check (I have tried) and I know of no stores that have any available to buy

#20 ghostworks

ghostworks

    The God Of Pants

  • Members
  • 14124 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:uoᴉʇɐɔo˥
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

they are minor issues to many - quick dropouts of music in the stereo channels etc

there are other similar issues across other discs in the sets - added drum sounds, keyboards mixed differently, enhanced effects, different vocal takes and so forth

I think when you're considering re-investing in music you've listened to for many years and/or you crave the best possible versions for critical listening, little errors can go a long way to discouraging the purchase

I pulled the trigger on a used Sector Three a while ago and was pleased (that used price reflected the value to me, 'errors' and all)

your safest bet in 2019?

order from Amazon (and be sure the listing says 'Ships from and sold by Amazon.com')

if you get the corrected boxes, you're all set

if you get 'old stock' Amazon will refund/replace no questions asked, and you can try again





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segue Myles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users