Jump to content


That band hovering along the edges of your interest


  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 27254 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

National Review magazine has a podcast I enjoy, Political Beats.  The two hosts have no chemistry between them, but the premise of the podcast is interesting.  They have on people who work in or around politics, but they talk about the person's favorite band, and go through their complete discography.  The most recent episode featured The Clash, which inspired my own recent binge.  They've done everything from Nine Inch Nails to Queen to The Beatles to Radiohead to Guns N Roses to King Crimson.  More often than not the podcast will pique my interest in a band.

Sponsored Post

#22 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89467 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

ELP I've never been a big fan but I'm tempted to get their anthology collection because there are a few songs that I like a lot. It's in my amazon basket.

#23 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 619 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

Max Webster. I only know Battle Scar, the song they did with Rush.

#24 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 19563 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

It's still Porcupine Tree. I love Fear of a Blank Planet, but I never seem to dive into the rest of their discography.

#25 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 27 December 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

ELP I've never been a big fan but I'm tempted to get their anthology collection because there are a few songs that I like a lot. It's in my amazon basket.

Brain Salad Surgery is the better starting point.  It's forever part of the prog canon.  Tarkus and their self titled would be next in that order.

I can understand why they may be hit/miss, but someone who likes prog will at least hear the brilliance even if its not their preferred prog delivery mechanism.  There's probably the full album on youtube, imo no need to buy it unless you like it and want your own copy.

#26 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89467 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

View Poststoopid, on 27 December 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 27 December 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

ELP I've never been a big fan but I'm tempted to get their anthology collection because there are a few songs that I like a lot. It's in my amazon basket.

Brain Salad Surgery is the better starting point.  It's forever part of the prog canon.  Tarkus and their self titled would be next in that order.

I can understand why they may be hit/miss, but someone who likes prog will at least hear the brilliance even if its not their preferred prog delivery mechanism.  There's probably the full album on youtube, imo no need to buy it unless you like it and want your own copy.
Yeah but I have to have From the Beginning and Trilogy!

#27 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 36869 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

Personally only enjoy the debut ELP album

#28 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Duluth, MN
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:37 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 27 December 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

View Postrocket ignites, on 27 December 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

People can't seem to name just one....

David Bowie

Because there isn't one specific band. There was JUST one right at the top but I mentioned I am already well into the process of that. Good for you that JUST ONE stood out. For me there are plenty on equal footing. Whichever one comes first will depend on my mood that day.
No, I could do a handful of artists, but OP said one.  A full catalog deep dive is quite a time consuming undertaking.(even one artist I can't seem to start).

#29 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

View Postrocket ignites, on 27 December 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 27 December 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

View Postrocket ignites, on 27 December 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

People can't seem to name just one....

David Bowie

Because there isn't one specific band. There was JUST one right at the top but I mentioned I am already well into the process of that. Good for you that JUST ONE stood out. For me there are plenty on equal footing. Whichever one comes first will depend on my mood that day.
No, I could do a handful of artists, but OP said one.  A full catalog deep dive is quite a time consuming undertaking.(even one artist I can't seem to start).

Yes, it is very consuming. It's a lot to take on if you're looking to try and get into an older band with a bigger catalog. I find a lot of the time even when I like it nothing sticks with me because it's just too much stuff to take in. I'm more likely to give a newer band with a smaller catalog a chance first.

#30 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10609 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

A proper deep dive is very time consuming.  To give Rush a fair shake for me was a yearlong commitment.

#31 Leanne

Leanne

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1864 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

Ghost

#32 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 21120 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:53rd & 3rd

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 27 December 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostThe Cat 3, on 27 December 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Budgie

Gave them a try earlier this year and enjoyed the albums I heard. If Rush was more straight up metal in the 70s they may have sounded like Budgie.

View PostRick N. Backer, on 27 December 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostThe Cat 3, on 27 December 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

UFO

You've never listened to them?  Spin Lights Out and Obsession.  Two perfect albums.
I've listened to Budgie and UFO, but haven't delved deep into their music. Odd, because I quite like the albums I've heard by both bands.

#33 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 21120 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:53rd & 3rd

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:30 AM

John Lennon

I love The Beatles, always have and always will.

Really love George and Paul's solo stuff and dig Ringi's as well.

For some reason, John's solo output is very hit and miss for me.

I own it all, but seldom spin it.

#34 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

View PostThe Cat 3, on 28 December 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

John Lennon

I love The Beatles, always have and always will.

Really love George and Paul's solo stuff and dig Ringi's as well.

For some reason, John's solo output is very hit and miss for me.

I own it all, but seldom spin it.

I never really liked any of the member's solo stuff. The Beatles were always a "sum of their parts" kind of band for me.  I still spin numerous Beatles albums to this day on a regular basis.  If I had a playlist I might be committed, Opeth then Sgt pepper and White album, followed by some NiN and Death Cab For Cutie.

Edited by stoopid, 28 December 2018 - 10:36 AM.


#35 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30570 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

The Struts

#36 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30570 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

...and Genesis.

#37 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30570 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostPresto-digitation, on 27 December 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

For me it’s Bruce Springsteen. I like the guy and I like most of what I have heard, but I own exactly no albums. I really think I would like him if I just went for it. (I f***ing LOVE the 1975 acoustic live version of Thunder Road).

This answer used to be RUSH until I finally did that in 2006. Spent about a year listening to literally nothing but that band...and, thus, my registering here.
Good selection, great hits and some deep cuts.

#38 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10647 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 27 December 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

Max Webster. I only know Battle Scar, the song they did with Rush.

I still have not heard this nor have I ever heard a note of any Max Webster. Ive heard a few Kim Mitchell solo cuts.

#39 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10647 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 27 December 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Lou Reed.  has been a big one for years and years now.

i always wind saying....ah later, lol

Mick

Lou Reed was a dick. May he rest in fuckkn peace.

#40 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 18686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 28 December 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 27 December 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Lou Reed.  has been a big one for years and years now.

i always wind saying....ah later, lol

Mick

Lou Reed was a dick. May he rest in fuckkn peace.

so was a lot of people i like.  i still listen, lol

Mick




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users